Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Need to ID this rear differential and gear ratio

3K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  big gear head 
#1 · (Edited)
The pictures differential are of a rear end in a 62 chevy stepside, if i don't know what it is I cant find the gasket. I want to take off the cover and count the ring and pinoin to see what it is. Also how can I tell if it is a limited slip or a posi. or neather? any help out there?
I tryed to get the pictures to come up but noda, I guess I don't know what the url is. The pics acn be seen in my profile albums.

See less See more
#6 ·
That's the old truck rear end that was used from somewhere in the mid '50s. Sorry, I can't tell you much more than that. I haven't been into one of those before. My brother has the same rear end in his '57 truck. I think it was replaced by the truck 12 bolt around '64.

If you only turned one wheel then you only got half of the gear ratio. If you leave one wheel on the ground and turn the other wheel exactly 2 full turns and count the number of times your driveshaft turns that will be your gear ratio. If it turns just past 4 times then it's a 4.11, if it turns just past 4 1/2 times it's a 4.56... Those old trucks usually had gear ratios in the 4s.

A popular swap for those rear ends is the '67 to '69 Camaro or '68 to '79 Nova rear end. I'm pretty sure that those truck rear ends are right at 60 inches wide, which is what the Camaro and Nova rear ends are. This will also get you the smaller 5 bolt pattern for the wheels.

#13 ·
Hy, SSedan64 Thanks man, went to that link,will give them a call. would be nice if thay had limited slip to drop in, look's like the same and it was my year. Even if I had to fork out the dollars for a hole pig, it might fit onto the tube's. thanks againe

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.