Need Ideas - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2010, 11:46 AM
The Engineer

Wiki Edits: 0

Need Ideas

I have a 1955 Plymouth Belvedere with a 318 Mopar Polysphere wide block. For as long as the car has been sitting it is in pretty good shape. All the major metal is still there and everything except the eight track player is original to the car.

I would like to get some project ideas for the car, i was thinking restoration with a few high performance parts, or just going with high performance.

So far as i know the engine and transmission are both good in the car, but i am not sure, that will be a huge thing in determining what i will do, but your in put is still greatly appreciated.

I really would like to know what people would think for this build, and i will try to put together a journal of before during and after photos.

Advertisement

Last edited by 2manycars4me; 04-17-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2010, 06:49 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

If its the original engine, I am pretty sure its not a 318.....They didn't come out until 58, I believe.........That would be something I would check into.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:42 AM
The Engineer

I didn't think that it was the original engine, but i did some looking around and i found that it was supposedly the original engine, i don't know how reliable the sources were, but i looked at Google, and came up with a few that said it was a mopar polysphere 318 and it was original, i even found some pics of a couple of 55's with the 318, not many, and could have been custom, but claimed they were original. I really would like to know for absolute certainty, but i have no idea how to get that guaranteed information.

It is most probably a 270 cid if the car is original, but the guy that gave it to me said it was a 318 in which case it would be custom, but i have no way to be sure, i have the vehicle number but don't know what good that will do, or where i can use it to find out what engine it is.

Last edited by 2manycars4me; 04-18-2010 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Wrong in my own mind
Old 04-18-2010, 09:00 AM

Last photo:

I'm not a Mopar guy so I wouldn't take my word over someone who is, but from what I'm finding here:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1951-1...belvedere4.htm

there were 3 engines for '55, and it was the first year for a V-8. They had 241 and 260 cubic inches displacement.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:01 AM
The Engineer

Thanks man, i found it is a 318 or at least it looks it or 331. Anyone know what the dimensions are for a 318 polysphere, a specific distance from valve cover to valve cover or something, I can't find a number or anything on the motor that i can use to identify the motor, it is definately not original, I am sorry to be giving you guys the run around, but there has been a little lapse in communication on this end of things as to what the car is.

What i know for a fact: 1955 plymouth belvedere, two speed automatic transmission

Last edited by 2manycars4me; 04-18-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:53 AM

Last photo:

From an investment standpoint, I think I would change the oil and trans fluids, and see if you can get it running. If that is possible, and it runs good, I would go from there, but if it's no good as is, pull the motor and trans, and keep them for the day you decide to sell it.

If you want a performance car, I would go with a later 340-360, and modern trans and rear axle. Why spend the rebuild and speed parts money on something that won't give you as much power??? In a modified condition, it would probably also be worth more this way.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:15 AM
The Engineer

thank you very much tuscon jay, i will see if the enigine is any good, the guy who owned used to change the oil with out moving it, the oil is a few years old, and is still clean. hopefully its still there.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:09 PM
Heathen

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manycars4me
thank you very much tuscon jay, i will see if the enigine is any good, the guy who owned used to change the oil with out moving it, the oil is a few years old, and is still clean. hopefully its still there.
2manycars4me,
What does that mean, "used to change the oil with out moving it", confusing?
Remember, if the oil has been sitting for a few years and looks clean on the dip stick its just because all the suspended particulate has settled to the bottom of the oil pan. If you don't change it, pulling and cleaning the pan would be best, all the dirt will get sucked into the oil pick up as the oil heats up. Very problematic.

Tucson Jay, you remind me of someone I sorta know from somewhere else!!
Old 04-18-2010, 05:54 PM

Last photo:

Stranger things have happened. :-)~
Old 04-20-2010, 04:18 PM
The Engineer

Appologies

Even though the car never moved he used to change the oil, i have no idea why he did, but i am kinda glad that he did.
Sorry to have confused you guys.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.