Need ideas to move / re-position vehicle - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2011, 07:39 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10 Racer
Agree with that!!!!
I would go as far as hanging plastic all around to completely enclose the vehicle, roll the windows down, open the hood and set off like 4-5 of those Black Flag foggers.
I've been thinking about that too. I'm looking at getting the type of smoke bomb that actually smokes (chem reaction) Set one in the cab & put some plastic over it. The damn black widows freak me out - but they normally won't mess with you. I've been experimenting with different things to keep the spiders away, & the best thing I've found so far is WD-40.
I get one of those big cans from Napa & I spray down the engine compt, fenderwells & firewall. It doesn't kill them, just make em go away. It lasts for about 6 months (unlike bug spray, which is gone after a few weeks)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2011, 08:05 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Do the bug tenting thing---twice on two consecutive days. That way you get them all. Go down to Harbor Freight and pick up a Remote Control Winch. They go on sale for about $70 bucks. Mount it to the back of your truck bumper. Install a pull point in the wall or in the ground, That way you can sit in the cab steering the truck while keying the winch with the remote button. If the winch cable is to short (I think they are about 25') you can add a length of chain to it. Carry a flyswatter with you for the ones who can hold their breath.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:30 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

The tow bar idea is probably OK for a very short distance, but you can only back up a foot or so with a tow bar before the front wheels start the "goofy dance", been there with my motor home and toad.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 11-19-2011, 08:17 PM
Banned User

Last photo:

i like to the tow bar idea and i'm not sure why you couldn't back up---i've had to back up on many occasions and sometimes long distances with no problems. IF there is a problem, the steering wheel could be tied up?

There is a universal tow-bar that would fit the truck with no damage. Will check the link asap.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by against all odds
i like to the tow bar idea and i'm not sure why you couldn't back up---i've had to back up on many occasions and sometimes long distances with no problems. IF there is a problem, the steering wheel could be tied up?

There is a universal tow-bar that would fit the truck with no damage. Will check the link asap.
If you've ever watched the towed vehicle's front tires backing, you'd see what happens. You may be able to push through it, but we're talking big damage to the front end. I use a top of the line Blue Ox Aventa LX and base plate on my Jeep, you cannot back it up more than a foot or so before it goes whacky.

Here's an explanation from the Engineering Team Leader at Blue Ox.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Backing with a tow bar.doc (31.5 KB, 67 views)

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 11-22-2011, 12:33 AM

Last photo:

Take a rubber tarp strap.
Straighten the front wheels.
Wrap the tarp strap around a spoke of the steering wheel.
Push the car where you want it.

If you need the car being pushed to turn, disconnect the tarp strap, turn the steering wheel, and re secure the tarp strap, with the front wheels going the direction you want the car to go.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:47 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I've done this one once. If you have an old beater to use, strap an empty-no rim tire to the front bumper of the truck that needs moving, using it for a cushion. Pull up the beater truck or car tight to the tire, strap (thinking nylon rope or strong type of rope) to the truck bumper. You are now tied together, slowly pull the truck out far enough to get done what needs doing. When you're done, push it back. Hopefully you won't need a steering person. Make sure the wheels are straight on the dead vehicle before moving.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:08 PM

Working on your truck

There is quite a bit of risk involved with using a winch or some other method of holding back the truck. One needs to think of the what if -- what would happen if the truck broke loose and crashed into the garage or house??? Okay the following is not radical thinking but, why not canvass the neighborhood or your buddies and locate a secure place nearby to work on your truck, a space that has room to move around in. The rent for a week or month might be a lot cheaper than fixing the wall on the house. You might find that there are a lot of other things you might like to fix when you have the room and when you are against a time deadline, like rent, it is surprising how much one gets done in a short period of time. Be sure you have insurance on it as thefts do occur. As far as spraying poison for the spiders, be sure that the product is not toxic to humans.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:23 PM

hi t jet
listen to 68 novass and me the first thing a rv motor home owner learns , when we want to buy a car, or truck to tow behind his motor home is u never back one up when it is hook to a another vehicle even with a person in the vehicle that is hook up to be towed, the wheels will go whacky like 68 novass said please listen to us old guys. we have been to more than one county Fair. lol good luck. arlo
Old 11-25-2011, 01:31 AM
mopar or no car

Last photo:

intresting topic, just following along
Old 11-25-2011, 10:55 AM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: Try again
Last photo:

if you can mount a hook or eye somewhere behind it
i would get a harbor freight atv/car trailer winch or a hand winch and use that
the line length might be a little short but you could use an extra strap

here is a link to there winches
Old 11-25-2011, 01:26 PM

Last photo:

Re-position

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrenn
hi t jet
listen to 68 novass and me the first thing a rv motor home owner learns , when we want to buy a car, or truck to tow behind his motor home is u never back one up when it is hook to a another vehicle even with a person in the vehicle that is hook up to be towed, the wheels will go whacky like 68 novass said please listen to us old guys. we have been to more than one county Fair. lol good luck. arlo
When I was in the service we used to back planes with a huffer, and a tow bar, that could be hard at times but when you add in a set of wheels that turn could make it harder, unless you had some one holding the steering wheel.

Bob
Old 11-28-2011, 09:52 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyinghemi
There is quite a bit of risk involved with using a winch or some other method of holding back the truck. One needs to think of the what if -- what would happen if the truck broke loose and crashed into the garage or house??? Okay the following is not radical thinking but, why not canvass the neighborhood or your buddies and locate a secure place nearby to work on your truck, a space that has room to move around in. The rent for a week or month might be a lot cheaper than fixing the wall on the house. You might find that there are a lot of other things you might like to fix when you have the room and when you are against a time deadline, like rent, it is surprising how much one gets done in a short period of time. Be sure you have insurance on it as thefts do occur. As far as spraying poison for the spiders, be sure that the product is not toxic to humans.
If I use a portable winch, I will also set up wheel chocks every few feet or so. I also have a 30' length of chain that I can also use as a safety line just incase.

As far as pushing this thing up the driveway, I think it's just too steep to push safely. I am going to use those methods though once I get it on the street.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:46 AM
Worn Out and Broken

I understand your wanting to take care of the move yourself, and all that, but safety in this instance is just screaming at me. Actually, I am in the same boat, only reversed: my '59 has no brakes, it has been basically sitting for over ten years, and is not drivable at this time. We are moving from a large property with plenty of room to a smaller place with a side drive that is eleven feet wide, but some fifty feet long, and the approach from the street is quite steep; getting th truck there is not a problem, but getting it up that drive approach is. I think I am going to hire a tilt bed rollback flatbed tow truck to take it over and back up on the grade to where the bed can be tilted and rolled back to make a fairly level platform to push the truck off of onto the level part of the drive. You might consider doing just the reverse, then find a place to rent that you can safely work on the truck and get it drivable again. As to working on it in the spot it is now, clean up the spiders and such, get a good set of wheel dollies, and put it on them, and just move it side to side to get to the wheels and get the brakes redone and get it running again.

Good luck, and be safe.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.