Need ideas to move / re-position vehicle - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2011, 05:26 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Need ideas to move / re-position vehicle

Brain picking time...

I'm going out to California in a month to do some major brake & suspension work to my pickup. It's stored at my dad's house.

The problem is that where it's parked, there is very little room to work on it. It's between an 8' wall, & the side of the house. There is less than 12" clearance at the wall, & about 36" from the house. There is also an old shed behind it.

This wasn't really a problem before, as I would just jack it up & crawl under it, which is what I've been doing the last couple of years. But the last time I got under it, I got bit by some type of spider. When I started looking around under the truck, I noticed lots of spiders - including black widows, & evidence of rats too. Keep in mind, this truck has not moved from it's current location in 25 years.

I really don't want to get bit again. I'd like to at least move it out from it's current location so I don't feel trapped if I need to get out quickly.

Here is the main problem:
It's on top of a steep driveway, & the street is also on a grade. If I roll it out, there will be no way to stop it (This almost happened). It will smash into the house across the street. There's no brakes on it.

I need to figure out a way to safely move it out when I work on it, then return it back to it's current location. I have a couple ideas using a winch, but I'd like to get some input from you guys.

Thanks in advance

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2011, 06:31 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Does the house across the street have a big covered front porch?http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/newr...e=1&p=1490649#
Old 11-16-2011, 06:49 PM

Last photo:

You could rent a tow dolly or have a tow truck move it to a level area where you can fix the brakes. After that you could just use a tow strap, or push it.

Hope this helps....
Old 11-16-2011, 07:13 PM

Last photo:

I thought of a tow truck, but putting it back behind the gate will be a problem. Even if I get the brakes fixed, the driveway is too steep to push it back up. I will need to pull the truck out several times before it will be able to do it on its own.

Do they sell winches that will allow a slow & controlled extension in addition to the normal pull-in? It needs to extend at least 30'
Old 11-16-2011, 07:44 PM

Last photo:

Electric winches are capable of slow, controlled extension, but manual winches - not so much.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:07 PM

Last photo:

I'm thinking about getting some concrete drill bits & installing some threaded inserts into the driveway, say 15' apart & install a removable eye. I could winch down the truck & change the winch tie down location if I needed to.

Who sells these type of winches?

I was looking at these - the 35' version

manual winch

Last edited by tjet; 11-16-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:18 PM

Last photo:

or this

electric winch

More power

Last edited by tjet; 11-16-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:36 PM

Last photo:

I Use a chain with a length of 2 1/2" pipe over it. Fasten under the truck and tow vehicle. pull truck out. Pipe will hold against tow vehicle. Then push truck back into position. I've moved many vehicles this way..
Old 11-16-2011, 08:39 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com
I Use a chain with a length of 2 1/2" pipe over it. Fasten under the truck and tow vehicle. pull truck out. Pipe will hold against tow vehicle. Then push truck back into position. I've moved many vehicles this way..
That's a good idea on pulling, but it will be tough to push it back up the drive
Old 11-16-2011, 09:15 PM

Last photo:

Trade you your spiders, for my snakes. Could you could fasten a block behind truck and run cable or rope to the front from the block and control it that way?I mean you would be able to stop it easy, and put it back just as easily just so long as the block was very securely mounted to concrete or whatever probably to complex but well just an idea. covered patio across street sounds like a viable idea.

Last edited by Powork; 11-16-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:26 PM
9.82 @ 139mph

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Simply attach tow bar to truck; pull it out(the tow vehicle will hold it in place when working on it; then back in when finished. keep the tow bar attached to the truck for future work.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:34 PM

Last wiki edit: Wiring diagram 1953 Chevrolet
Last journal entry: Spare Tire Dent Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 647

No reason why you can't use a drive on car lift like one of these: http://www.kwiklift.com/features-all.htm

Just use a come-a-long or 12 volt winch to move it on or off the drive on ramps. This will allow you to get under the vehicle and do your brakes, etc.

Check out the possibilities: http://www.kwiklift.com/Brochure/KwikLift.pdf

I built my own drive on lift years ago and it works for me. Pic below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2588.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	330.4 KB
ID:	59876   Click image for larger version

Name:	June 2010 052.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	59877  

Last edited by alittle1; 11-16-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:51 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,143 Times in 1,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 406 bug
Simply attach tow bar to truck; pull it out(the tow vehicle will hold it in place when working on it; then back in when finished. keep the tow bar attached to the truck for future work.
I think that is a heck of an idea! The come-a-long with a anchor in the concrete is good too but using a tow bar and another car is the way to go if you ask me.

Brian
Old 11-16-2011, 10:21 PM

Last photo:

Need to move

Just because you are going to move the truck, doesn't mean the spiders will be glad to see you go. they are going to move right along with you. Before I put my hand under that truck to hook anything up, I would go down to the hardware store and get one of those big spray cans, the ones with the hose and pumper on top for pressure, then I would spray under that truck until it floats, with spray to kill spiders. At this point you might know I don't care for spiders.

The other guys have good ways to move it, me I'm just keeping you from getting bit.

Bob
Old 11-16-2011, 11:26 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane
Just because you are going to move the truck, doesn't mean the spiders will be glad to see you go. they are going to move right along with you. Before I put my hand under that truck to hook anything up, I would go down to the hardware store and get one of those big spray cans, the ones with the hose and pumper on top for pressure, then I would spray under that truck until it floats, with spray to kill spiders. At this point you might know I don't care for spiders.

The other guys have good ways to move it, me I'm just keeping you from getting bit.

Bob
Agree with that!!!!
I would go as far as hanging plastic all around to completely enclose the vehicle, roll the windows down, open the hood and set off like 4-5 of those Black Flag foggers.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.