need IFS allignments specs - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2008, 08:28 PM

Last journal entry: dash mods
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

need IFS allignments specs

I have a MII IFS kit on my car with power steering.I had the alignment done and they could only get 1*-caster, said couldn't get + allignment as upper A arms would bind.I just took everything apart to change springs and regular spindles (had dropped).These arms still should move a mile before they bind.What specs should I be using,toe, caster, camber?? I get different specs when I look them up.Is there much difference noticeable between 1 and 3*+ caster ?
thanks, Cisco

Advertisement

Last edited by TheCiscoKid; 07-12-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2008, 09:00 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

Just looking at your last journal pic, the car has(or had) a wicked rake. That angle of rake eats up some of the caster adjustment. Plus,, even if that pic was with dropped spindles, it sure appears like the suspension is nearly bottomed out. That ain't good, plus with the suspension flattened out like that, it changes the camber a LOT, and then you can't get the camber correct without sacrificing correct caster.

Get the front back up ...and not just by stock spindles. I would have tried the dropped spindles with a taller spring ride height. I wonder that now you took out the dropped spindles, that you may not want to get the suspension back "up" to normal conditions...all because you want a low front end.

You said a spring swap; if that brings it back up, put it on the alignment rack again. You should notice much more adjustment if the suspension "ride height" is now at what the kit maker figured on.

Yes there is a big difference in 1 or 3 degrees caster. You will get much more road feel and better highway tracking at 3 with the P/S. I would bet most rod shops would go with 2 on that type of car.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:56 AM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

It totally depends on how you're using the car. Zero caster on a cushy road-trip car is perfectly OK. Some of the early power steering cars they actually called for negative caster (angled forward). 8* caster on a race car is typical. For most of my street stuff with longer wheelbases I stick to 3 or 4 degrees caster. Depending on the camber curve of my street cars, I use anywhere from 0 to 1 degree camber.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:20 PM

Last photo:

Don't forget to check the bumpsteer.
Adding lots of caster to a front suspension system designed for much less usually increases the bump steer. More bumpsteer combined with wider tires and wheels of greater offset often makes for a "fun" driver.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:53 PM
'51 Chevy 3100

Sitting at ride height the lower a-arms should be parallel with the ground. If they are pointed up(at the tire end) your springs are to short if they are pointed down(at the tire end) your springs are to long. If that is an issue fix it first. Stock or drop spindles won't change a-arm angle, and will have a minimal effect on caster angle. If you can't get enough caster lower the rear of the car a little. That said, MII with power steering.....

Caster + 1 1/2 to 3 1/2 degrees
Camber 0 to -1/2 degrees
Toe 0 to 1/16" in
Old 07-14-2008, 08:29 AM

Last journal entry: dash mods
Last photo:

need IFS allignments specs

My car was messed up in a shop,I'm re-doing everything.Suspension wasn't bottomed, A arms are horizontal.I mocked it up with 205/75/15 on the front and 225/75/15 on rear.Most of the drop now is because it has 195/60 on front now, anything else pretty much rubs,fenders are twisted also.I put a smaller tire on the back and it doesn't fill the top of the wheel opening,didn't look right,I could maybe get a 1'' block on the back and use a smaller tire on the rear.I wanted a bit of a rack on the car, not this much ,but didn't know how it would sit until springs were broken in.I like the front low,but unable to get the back low enough, so I'm raising the front to get a better looking rake.
How much caster makes bump steer???
Thanks for the specs, Cisco

Last edited by TheCiscoKid; 07-14-2008 at 08:34 AM. Reason: addition

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.