Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Need info on a 300 inline 6 Ford
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2009, 01:17 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

In defence of small block ford

Just for the record when you take good care of an ford engine v8 it can hang with the 300. I had one come in the guy is a contractor/builder and he runs the crap out of the truck. It had a miss in the motor, some how cracked exhaust valve and gasses had cut notch in the head. We swapped the heads out at the machine shop for another set of factory castings. This engine had 256k+mi and you could still see the hone marks in the cylinder walls! I could'nt believe it. this motor had not been using oil either. Reasembled engine with K&N filter, longtube headers, dynomax x-tube muffler, adjustible fuel press reg. msd 6al spark box, Underdrive crank pully. Advanced the ignition timing higher than stock setting, adj fuel press for extra airflow. This was a 4-door cab f350 4x4 im guessing 6500 lbs. It sound like a mustang (way cool) and this thing really moved for a truck it felt like we added 100hp over stock it really did. I mean this thing came alive i could goose the gas just 1/4 thottle and it would spin the wheels. if you nailed it it would haze em all the way through 1st gear (never tried to keep em spinning past 1st) The way this engine looked in side(Brand new almost) and ran outside I would fully exspect to be able to run anouther 150k exspecially if you put new timming chain on it. My brother owns a ford crown vic 300,000 on odometer purchased with 170k on it x-police still had original motor in it. Im certain the engine has more like 500k on when you count hours & hours of idle time in front of dounut shops and while checking speed. This engine runs great uses some oil but we have driven that from ohio to georgia and back twice. pennsyvania and make many times. Never been let down with car not once.