Need info on a 300 inline 6 Ford - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2003, 10:24 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Need info on a 300 inline 6 Ford

Are there any performance modd's for the Ford inline 6, like intake, header's, cam's and such? Just got a 1/2 ton Ford pickup with a 300 inline 6, that is real tired and inneed of some help.Or is even worth the trouble.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2003, 10:29 PM

Last photo:

If it's tired it would be better to just re-build it. if i were you, i'd go to the scrap yard and try to find a 302 or 351 for 100$ or so and rebuild it.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:38 PM

Point well taken there Mike_82) Would a 302 be more of a reasonable choise than a 351 winser, i meen i dont usually do Ford's but my father gave me the truck for nothing,so i'de like to try and do something with it.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:44 PM

Last photo:

You don't say what year it is. I guess a lot depends on what you want to do with the truck. If it were me, I would stick with the 300. That is one tough engine. I would rebuild it. If you want you can retrofit a fuel injection setup from a later model if yours is carbureted for improved drivability. It is a fairly simple swap to perform.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:48 PM

Last photo:

i have a few friends with 302's in there trucks and they like them. they have pretty good torque/HP, and are pretty good on gas. suprisingly a 302 is cheaper to rebuild than a 351 so if your on a small budget, a 302 would be best. i'd build a 351W, but only for the extra power. im a horse power freak.

i dont usually do ford either, but its 20 times better than dealing with japaneese ricer crap.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:56 PM

Dont get me rong now i meen i do like Ford's to it' just i've never tried to fix one up like i'm doin with my 76 GMC sport truck, i dont really like speed asmuch as i like to crouse with my vehicle's
Old 12-08-2003, 11:08 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

6 in one hand 1/2 dozen in the other. 300 6 is a torquey little mill. Lot more durable than a small-block ford too. Its a great engine, IMO much better than a smallblock. They've got a really long life. When you want to move a truck you are talking torque, no question about it. The torque produced by a 302 and a 300 are damn near equal (actually the 300 probably produces more at a lower RPM). My point is, unless you're going to go big-block, a v-8 swap is not worth the time and money. Even a 351 isn't enough cubes to really wake up a truck. If you could find a stock or slightly modified big-block, that would really give you the power you'd be happy with.

I really built a small-block for an old ram (360 mopar with tons of goodies, check my pictures) and to be perfectly honest, if I had it to do over again, I'd go bigblock.

Just my .02 man, don't waste your time with a small-block-

K
Old 12-08-2003, 11:15 PM

ive got a 300 I6 in my 75 f100. if you like low-end torque, stick with the 300.
ive been looking for performance parts also. so far only thing that ive found was headers, cam, and the three carb trick (which requires three intake manifolds cut down to only two runners per carb)

a.k. miller use to have a pikes peak race car(open wheel class) with a 300 I6 in it, and i doubt he was shifting @ 1500 . so it can be done.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:16 PM
Grumpy

Last photo:

Dont throw out the 300! Thats a nice motor you got there. Losts of torque possibilites.

Comp Cams

Last edited by 87442lover; 12-08-2003 at 11:27 PM.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:19 PM

87442lover.............thanks for the link

Last edited by spooki; 12-08-2003 at 11:32 PM.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:35 PM
Missing You

Last photo:

There is a company that specializes in building high performance inline 6 bangers. Their name escapes me now.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by BigBlockBabe
There is a company that specializes in building high performance inline 6 bangers. Their name escapes me now.
Clifford?
Old 12-10-2003, 12:02 AM
Start those projects someday

Last journal entry: Divco - has been on the back burner
Last photo:

Clifford Performance or try this www.inliners.org My vote is keep the 6 in the truck.
Old 07-05-2004, 01:35 AM

Last photo:

sorry to bring up an old topic, but i just got here and felt that it needed to be said

there are many, many things that can be done to the big six ford, as has been said earlier, the 300 is a torque machine and with a little work it can be made even more potent

i mainly hang out at a Fordsix forum, and i wrote a FAQ on basic mods not too long ago, here's a couple snippets to get you started, if you'd like a link to the FAQ let me know, you'll need to register in order to view it though

Q: how can i get more HP out of my 300?
A: the easy answer to this is to get the engine to breath better, the main thing these engine suffer from is a lack of air. Exhaust, and upgrading to a 2bbl carb are some of the most common first mods
this is a quote from a member of FSP that dyno'd his engine
Quote:
The hp/tq was done on an engine dyno at the tech school I went to about 6 years ago, the 300-6 was my engine rebuild project. I had the belt on it spinning just the alternator and waterpump.

330ft-lbs. @ 2400rpm (if I remember right) and over 300ft-lbs from 2000-4200rpm. It made 240hp@4200rpm also. I lost the dyno sheet when I moved about 3 years ago along with other important papers

My complete engine build is.
Block
-83' 300-6 block
-bored .030 over
-cut .019 off the block to get zero deck on the pistons
-.040 quench
-Compcams 260H with 212* @ .050 lift .447 lift.
Head
-cleaned up exhaust ports with mild bowl work (done by me)
-port matched offy C to intake ports and some valve unshroding
-Stock valves with compcams springs
-shaved .010 off to clean up the head surface/up compression
Intake/exhaust
-Offy C intake with edelbrock 500cfm
-hooker supercomp headers 1 5/8 primary 2 1/2" collectors
MSD ignition 6t with 2F coil and .055 plug gap

I think thats it, The welding students at the votech had to build an engine stand so I could dyno it.
ran great on 87 octane, my compression ratio was just a touch under 9.0:1 calculated. The .040 quench really allowed alot of timing advance, I ran 14* base timing with 87 octane and stock timing curve. It didn't like running stock plug gap with the stock duraspark and I think I was experiancing spark blowout, the MSD box fixed that.
*note* this is an engine dyno with bare essentials needed to keep the engine alive, the stock 300 had approx 115-120HP, with around 145 HP for the EFI engine

Q: who makes and sells parts for our engines?
A: just about everyone sells parts for our engines, you should be able to call up just about any big name company and get parts (Summit, Performance Automotive Warehouse, etc.) just because it isn't listed, doesn't mean it isn't sold there, call them up and ask them
as for who makes parts:
Cams
Clifford Performance
Crower
Crane
Comp Cams
Lazer Cams
Accelerated Motion
ultraDyne
Blueracer
Schneider Cams
Iskanderian

Intake Manifolds
Offenhauser
Clifford Performance
Holman Moody
Edelbrock (Both it and the H-M piece are out of production and fairly rare)

Headers
Clifford Performance
MAC
Dynomax
Pace Setter
Hedman
Hooker
for mildly built engines, the EFI manifolds work wonderfully, and are much cheaper

Roller Rocker
Crane Roller
Harland Sharp
Comp Cams

All these are off the shelf items that are currently or have previously been manufactured. I'm sure its not a complete list and it doesn't have PN's associated with them, but oh well.

if you cannot find anything anywhere, try eBay, or Google, they are your best friends, trust me (although eBay is an evil lil demon that'll take your money if you aren't careful)

and i'd advise against going straight to Clifford Performance to get parts, they make good parts, but going by posts by everyone else at FordSix their customer service, prices, shipping, and pretty much every other section of their company leaves something to be desired
they used to be very good about all of the above, but in recent years they've seriously lost track of their roots
Old 01-08-2009, 12:17 PM

In defence of small block ford

Just for the record when you take good care of an ford engine v8 it can hang with the 300. I had one come in the guy is a contractor/builder and he runs the crap out of the truck. It had a miss in the motor, some how cracked exhaust valve and gasses had cut notch in the head. We swapped the heads out at the machine shop for another set of factory castings. This engine had 256k+mi and you could still see the hone marks in the cylinder walls! I could'nt believe it. this motor had not been using oil either. Reasembled engine with K&N filter, longtube headers, dynomax x-tube muffler, adjustible fuel press reg. msd 6al spark box, Underdrive crank pully. Advanced the ignition timing higher than stock setting, adj fuel press for extra airflow. This was a 4-door cab f350 4x4 im guessing 6500 lbs. It sound like a mustang (way cool) and this thing really moved for a truck it felt like we added 100hp over stock it really did. I mean this thing came alive i could goose the gas just 1/4 thottle and it would spin the wheels. if you nailed it it would haze em all the way through 1st gear (never tried to keep em spinning past 1st) The way this engine looked in side(Brand new almost) and ran outside I would fully exspect to be able to run anouther 150k exspecially if you put new timming chain on it. My brother owns a ford crown vic 300,000 on odometer purchased with 170k on it x-police still had original motor in it. Im certain the engine has more like 500k on when you count hours & hours of idle time in front of dounut shops and while checking speed. This engine runs great uses some oil but we have driven that from ohio to georgia and back twice. pennsyvania and make many times. Never been let down with car not once.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.