Need info - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2005, 06:12 PM
Skater dude

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What was that you said OneMoreTime about SCCA? What's that? Being a pit boy and being able to learn something sounds good. Tell me more.

Also, does ayone know any good sites on chevy 350 smallblock engines?

Thanks a lot!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2005, 06:57 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_0227
What was that you said OneMoreTime about SCCA? What's that? Being a pit boy and being able to learn something sounds good. Tell me more.

Sports Car Club of America..been around for ages..totally volunteer ran..There are opportunites for flagging, corner workers, timers scoring the races..and of course the drivers schools if you want to race..there are what is called PDE events where you can run your street car if you wish (time trials)..Being involved in that would mean that you may meet up close and personal people you only see on the speed channel otherwise..

www.scca.com is the website..they run events all over the US so you can get a lot of exposure..including to the pro events..

Also, does ayone know any good sites on chevy 350 smallblock engines? You are here..post any questions in the engine forum that you may have..

Thanks a lot!
There you go..up to you to follow up..

OMT
Old 02-22-2005, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Roller
no motor ar tranny, probably not what this guys needs to start out with. he needs a good running car for a starter. i remember my first project, '72 nova no motor or tranny.thought it would be cool to build up my own engine and tranny and drop it in....i was wrong, i was a bi*** gettin that thing done, not to mention expensive.and i had to mod. the engine mounts and everything, probably not something good for an unexperienced kid (like i was then and still am today, even though i am a little more experienced and can easilly complete that task)
You trying to scare him off? My first project in 8th grade was transplanting and rebuilding a TPI 305/700r4 into my '56, still runs and I learned a TON!!!! Yeah it was a challenge and there were a few times I wanted to roll the car out and light it on fire because I was so frustrated but looking back now it was a GREAT experience for me, just wish I'd done a 350 instead of a 305

Alex, it's great the you want to in jump into hotrodding. Building a car from scratch may be a little ambitious for the first project, I agree with most of the other guys, get a decent body/frame car and build an engine for it, do some suspension upgrades and find some quiet country backroads to play on when you finish

The most important thing to do is to do good research before you buy anything...read, talk to people, ask questions in this forum.
I learned a lot from reading car mags like car craft, hot rod, chevy high perf and stuff like that. I'm a fan of car craft cause they cater to the cheap guys(like me) that hot rod on a budget.
Also, go to a bookstore (borders, barnes&noble, etc...) and look in the automotive section for engine building books, find one you like(or ten) and then go buy it cheaper online!
One more thing, if you can, watch for car shows in your area and go talk to as many of the guys as you can...don't get discouraged when guys blow you off and won't talk to you cause you're younger, there's a ton of older guys out there willing to help us young 'rodders learn, they're just hard to find sometimes.

Oh yeah, and about the S10 thing, those trucks are great unless you get in a crash in one...I did in my 93 4.3L, someone pulled out in front of me and I should have died(almost did, got messed up pretty bad), talked to one of the firemen months later and he said when they pulled up to my wreck he got sick cause he just knew they'd be pulling a messed up dead body out-I'm glad that didn't happen!! Because of that I'm no longer a big S10 fan anymore.

That's a lot of typing, hope something in there is helpful...
Old 02-22-2005, 08:43 AM
*special* member

Last photo:

lot of typing is right, and you are right in telling him to get books and as much info as possible.

now, i am a very young hotrodder, and i started the same as you did alex. i read all the books and talked to guys and worked with my dad, and just look at my new project!!!...

ok guys here it is, the beast 454.

theres the best after a fresh new coat of paint.

and there she is at the end of the night

sorry bout the pic size... but you get the point
Old 02-22-2005, 01:47 PM
Skater dude

Last photo:

Good job on that engine right there! Looks really nice!

Alex
Old 02-22-2005, 02:01 PM
Skater dude

Last photo:

My C02 Car

Here's my C02 car. Sorry It's blury like that. I took the picture with a disposable camera and came up too close. I don't know if you can see it , but it has a split down the middle and a hole in front of the back wheels, a licence plate , the CO2 tank is in the back and it only has one wheels in the front.

Alex

P.S. The copyright notice is there because I put the picture on my website.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grave Digger 3.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	4031  
Old 02-26-2005, 12:24 PM
*special* member

Last photo:

nice co2 car
Old 03-15-2005, 09:47 PM

im 18 and i have an 81 trans am that i have 15grand in just the 350sbc in and i changed eveything but the heads and im makin 300hp and 400ftlbs of torque but naturally i couldnt have done it alone my dad was my financial backer for this project so thats your best bet get a family member to help u out cause itll pay of in the end literally

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.