Need info - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2005, 04:16 PM
Skater dude

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Need info

Hi.

I'm new to hotrodding and working with cars in general. To be honest with you, I don't even have my licence yet. The reason I'm here is because I've been with tools all my life. My dad has a workshop and I used to be putting something together in there all the time. I've been building things like model cars, wooden ships and stuff like that for years. But i don't live with my real dad anymore so, no worksop. But in technology class, when we were building CO2 cars, I was the first one on everything and to be done. The teacher didn't even explain, like she did to everyone alse, how to do most of the stuff. I just did it my self and my car got the best time in the school.

I've been interested in building something like a model T hotrod that looks pritty cool, but can be used for everyday driving. I don't really need any big turbocahrgers or NOS, just something to impress the dude next to me at a stoplight and to get from point A to B.

I know you guys probably think that I don't know whant I'm talking about and how hard building a car is, but hear me out. My plan is to start in the near future and finish by the time I got my licence.

I got some questions:
1. What are the legalities of homemade cars on public roads. I was looking at the NY DMV web site for the specs list. They gave me an adress to send a letter of request to but I just want to know if anyone here built anything from scratch and driven it on public roads.

2. Does it cost, and if yes how much, to get an old engine from a scrap yard. I'd like to fix it up and use for the car.

3. How much (aproximately) would it be to rent a welding machine from home depot?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2005, 04:41 PM

Last photo:

I can't help you on the prices but, forty or so years ago I was in a similar situation. I had been reading Hot Rod, Car Craft since the late fifties. Worked on tractors, Built a pedal car, then motorized it. Then put a 5hp. engine on my bike. (what! We don't need no stinkin brakes!!).

Back then building an old style car was a lot easier. Fewer Government regs. Lots of old cars around. These days I would advise a young person to build an S-truck or something in that line. Easy to come by. easy to hop up.

My first "Assembled roadster" was made from parts that, back then, were plentiful, used, original stuff. To duplicate that car now would cost well over twenty thousand dollars. Plus all the government regs that they would throw at you. Here in Michigan it is still easy to register a hand built car, but some states are just a real pain.
Right now I have a S-10 shorty with a 406 that I have less than $5000.00 in and it's fun! Start out and learn on stuff that is plentiful.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:52 PM
Skater dude

Last photo:

Well, i don't really need it to be EXACTLY like a model T. I just brought it up because Model T hotrods look really cool and seem cheaper to built and maintain than buing a piece-of-junk car from some guy in the newspaper and trying to fix it up. Basicly, i just need something to use for everyday driving and to show those highschoool bastards (when I get there, im in middle school now) that my car goes faster and louder then the SUV they borrowed from their dad. What do you think is cheaper: making a frame and body from scratch or finding an old one and fixing it. In my oppinion, looking for something thats 80 years old will be a little hard.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:56 PM
*special* member

Last photo:

not to knock ya or anything, i know how it is. but finding a model t or somthing of that year and style in your budget is out of the question entirely. i to took a swing at the *build your own car *thing, didnt work out as i planed. it is way harder than it looks, trust me.and getting an old block from a junk yard and building it up, dirt cheap. the most widely known, used, and cheapest engine, is the 350 chevy small block.(somthing along your lines) you could pick up a striped block from 50-200$ then take it to the machine shop and have it bored stroked ported polished ext. then chose if you want it roller or flat-tappet(roller adds quite allot of jack) and start getting the parts.you could build up a nice flat-tappet 350 makin round 350 hourse and 350 ft. pounds of tourque for around 3500$ if you shop around.

hope this helps,
holly-roller
Old 02-15-2005, 10:30 PM
<--- Gas Bootlegger

Last photo:

welcome to the group.. i believe if i were you.. i'd look in the paper for a junker body right now... an older monte carlo.. etc.. something thats not rusted up too bad.. but not in great shape either... you'll get it REALLY cheap.. and with a little work itll look great. maybe a nissan 240z.. something like that... i have a 86 transam body im selling for 350 bucks.. just needs a paint job.. no rust.. interior is complete... sometimes you come along deals.. worry about your engine first... sometimes you are better to find an ad in the paper... with a car that doesnt run.. look for older chevrolets.. trucks.. bigger stuff that would probably have a 350 in it... if its cheap get it.. now you have a body.. and an engine.. if you decide to buy them seperate.. you can build a 350 for ALOT less than 3500 bucks... im building a 383 and only am going to have about 2,200 bucks in it including the block and the machine work... if you can reuse the crank and rods.. pistons.. etc in the 350.. by all means do it. its you're first build you mainly want to get familiar with the engine.. only change what you MUST... take ALOT of pictures... if you need anything else just reply to this post... or u can mail me... it CAN be done at you're age.. well started atleast.. money will be the main problem.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:18 AM
*special* member

Last photo:

yes i to suggest picking up a late model semi-nice condition running car and fixing it up a little at a time. i think one of my favorite cars that are every were and you could pick up pretty cheap, is the Datsun 280z. they make i kit to make it look like a Ferrari. and if you drop a built 350 in it it would really move.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:35 AM
<--- Gas Bootlegger

Last photo:

lol i def agree with ya holly... my avatar is what i plan mine to look like when its done.. had a 305 in it.. building the 383 to go into it... gonna be pretty fast i hope.. in the hybridz club i asked what an estimated time was from ppl with 350's and 383's.. they said high 10's low 11's.. just depends on if ya get it to hook up off the line without breaking stuff
Old 02-16-2005, 04:42 PM
*special* member

Last photo:

me and my dad helped his freind build up a 350 chevy and drop it in a 280z, it dynod (no clue on how to spell this lol) at around 650 horse, 670 ft. pounds of tourque, and ran high 9's he built this car for under 10 grand
Old 02-18-2005, 04:59 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

talk with the Dad's....

between the two of them you should be able to get something to start driving and working on and learn from that. Unless one of the Dad's has deep pockets you arn't likely to get anything to impressive or that going to out run anyone with. Try for something clean...no rust or dents and good on gas...impress the Dad's with the notion you'll be saving them money with a gas saving first car. Clean it up and impress the broads...let the guys with the bread impress each other with their Daddy's car's.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 02-18-2005, 05:22 PM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

project

Get yourself a 2nd gen Camaro or Firebird. They are the cheapest to build and parts galore. A nice set of rims and a nice paint job will turn heads.
Old 02-19-2005, 05:07 PM
*special* member

Last photo:

any gen camaro's or firebird's are very expensive,especially those with no dents.even though i am a chevy guy, i recommend you do like me and pick up an 87-93 mustang. very cheap and easy to come by also with cheap parts galore. you could easily get one like mine, no scratches interior great no dents, for 500-1000$ then start building from there.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:08 PM
<--- Gas Bootlegger

Last photo:

expensive? i told ya i gotta 86 transam.. basically same thing as a camaro and firebird... its for sell... 375 bucks.. sumbody come get it! no motor no tranny
Old 02-20-2005, 12:44 AM
*special* member

Last photo:

no motor ar tranny, probably not what this guys needs to start out with. he needs a good running car for a starter. i remember my first project, '72 nova no motor or tranny.thought it would be cool to build up my own engine and tranny and drop it in....i was wrong, i was a bi*** gettin that thing done, not to mention expensive.and i had to mod. the engine mounts and everything, probably not something good for an unexperienced kid (like i was then and still am today, even though i am a little more experienced and can easilly complete that task)
Old 02-20-2005, 01:37 AM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:

If you do go look at any 2nd Gen Camaros for cheap,check the rear quaters under the window trim area. Horrible design causes them to rust out quickly. If you can find one cheap that is probably gonna be there. 3rd Gens are cheaper here than 2nd Gens are now. There are several cars out there that would make a good beginner car. The late 70's early 80's Monte Carlo,is a good beginner car or any other G body.Any engine combo will fit with very little problem,look darn good when done right. Even a late model Thunderbird can be had for a decent price now,The T-Bird and Cougar could both be equipped with the 5.0 motor too.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:09 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Scca

Look into finding the local SCCA chapter in your area..joining one of those gives you the opportunity to go to drivers school and rub shoulders with some really fast company..

You can meet guys who can use the help of a good pit boy and learn a whole lot about building really fast cars and how to drive them and not get in over your head..

And do not overlook the Fox body mustang..kinda ugly to some but with a 5.0 and some suspension mods they will fly..

OMT

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.