Hot Rod Forum banner

Need info on 96 Pontiac GP transmision

697 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  airworld2 
#1 ·
Sorry about the second post, but I posted in the engine area titled STRANDED, concerning my daughter 3.1L 96 Pontiac Grand Prix. She was told by a mechanic friend that these trannys (auto) can go and cause the engine from turning. Something about the transmission having a front half and a back half, and if the front half goes it can lock the engine? Does anyone know if this is true?

#2 ·
roddinron said:
Sorry about the second post, but I posted in the engine area titled STRANDED, concerning my daughter 3.1L 96 Pontiac Grand Prix. She was told by a mechanic friend that these trannys (auto) can go and cause the engine from turning. Something about the transmission having a front half and a back half, and if the front half goes it can lock the engine? Does anyone know if this is true?
I would look at engine problems.

I do not see how the auto trans would seize the engine up.

I guess the converter could break up inside and bind up the engine against the splines of the stator support.

#4 ·
roddinron said:
Well that's what I though, but I'm not too familiar with FWD and her mechanic friend says it's fairly common on these cars. New one on me though.

well .... lets say the drive chain inside the trans breaks and wads up the works !! The input shaft will be bound up on the trans. IF the torque converter was still operating correctly the engine should spin over.

The trans oil pump is shaft driven out of the converter. if the shaft breaks , the pump does not turn. That should not bind up the engine from turning by the starter.

:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.