Need info about dent-pulling device - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2003, 06:15 PM
Custer had it Comin'!!!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Need info about dent-pulling device

Hello,

I'm Joseph, and new to this board.

I hope this isn't a stupid question, I was gonna use the search function, but I don't know what you call this tool or device.

My 16-year-old son goes to a vocational high school here in Cleveland and is majoring in Auto Body repair. He keeps on making references to this "Spot Welder" or "Pinpoint welding gun" that he says does a much better job on pulling dents than drilling a hole and using the "screw-in" attachment on our dent puller.

He says the thing is pretty expensive, but it really does a good job. I watched him use the "old-fashioned" method of dent-pulling with a drill and the puller on the Cougar I gave him. He had this krinkled fender nearly perfect in less than ten minutes! I was pretty impressed.

So I assume he knows what he is talking about. But it doesn't matter what part store we go to, or what catalog I have, including the new CRAFTSMAN tool catalog, we can't seem to find this tool.

He says it is electrically operated, and you load it with some kind of metal pin. Then you press it against the car body(the dent), and you pull the trigger. I guess it heats up a small area and the metal pin to red hot, and then it plants the pin. Then when it cools, you attach the dent puller to the pin and use it the same way.

Can anyone tell me what this tool is, where you can find one, and what is the going price? It seems like a good thing to have on hand. And this kid is really quick and good, so I forsee him making a few bucks on the side as he learns the trade. I think this is the first time he ever followed my advice (enrolling in auto body instead of mechanics because our skills could compliment each other), and he is going at it full bore and is real happy about school. I figure if I get him one of these things for the holidays, he'll keep up the motivation.

Thanks,

Joseph

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2003, 06:38 PM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

This is what he's talking about...
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/pho...3299/03223.gif
I have no idea how good this one from Harbor Freight is going to be but any good body shop or paint supply store can point you at a good one. These things usually run around 400 bucks so use your better judgement if you order this one from HF...
Mark
Old 11-15-2003, 07:01 PM

The tool is called a stud welder/stud gun. Pretty simple tool to use. All you do is weld a 2 inch metal stud to the panel you repair and use what's called a slide hammer to pull the dent out, then clip or grin the stud off. You can find kits for less than 400 bucks at autobodystore.com
Old 11-15-2003, 11:47 PM
Custer had it Comin'!!!

Last photo:

Thanks loads gentlemen!

The autobodystore.com is a fantastic site!

Now to keep my mouth shut until Christmas?

Thanks again,

Joseph

Thanks loads gentlemen!

The autobodystore.com is a fantastic site!

Now to keep my mouth shut until Christmas?

Thanks again,

Joseph

Last edited by Native Gearhead; 11-15-2003 at 11:47 PM.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.