Need info on D4AE-6015-AA7 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2003, 02:26 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Cool Need info on D4AE-6015-AA7

I just pulled the engine out of my 65 Mustang. The code above the starter reads D4AE-6015-AA7. Can anyone tell me where I can look up the specs on this engine? There are also four smaller numbers right above it 5B10.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2003, 02:49 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I`m not a Ford man, but I did some searching, the code D4AE came up as a 71-74 351 Windsor. but don`t qoute me as this being correct. you can check it out yourself here. http://users.abilene.com/~dkelly/hotrod/engine2.html good luck.
Old 03-05-2003, 03:15 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Arrow

[quote]There are also four smaller numbers right above it 5B10.<hr></blockquote>

That is the cast date code; 10FEB75
Old 03-05-2003, 03:26 AM

10FEB75? So then I was wrong and my engine is a 75? Where did you look up the code? Do you know about the other numers (D4A...)?
Old 03-05-2003, 04:08 AM
aka Duke of URL

Arrow

-This-[/b]</a> is a very brief description of the FORD part numbering system.

<a href="http://www.aloha.net/~djhamma/datecode.htm]-FORD Date Code Explanation-

(Sorry...I seemed to have slurred my URL )

[ March 05, 2003: Message edited by: KULTULZ ]</p>
Old 03-05-2003, 05:14 AM

The number you are referring to is the part number for the block.
The Ford part number system is the simplest and easiest to learn because it makes sense. The number consists of 3 parts:
Prefix: D4AE....D is the decade 70s (B is 50s, C is 60s, E is 80s, and so on.
D4AE....4 is the year 1974
D4AE....the last 2 letters generally indicate the body the unit was destined for. these codes differ from year to year as new bodies are introduced and others discontinued. In the case of engines this may not be relevant. (example : C5ZZ is 1965 Mustang, C1TZ is 1961 Pickup)
Base Number: In this case 6015 indicates engine block. 17508 would be a wiper motor. 1201 a wheel bearing, specifically front outer. The numbering system starts with 1000 and goes up in groups of 1000s.
Suffix: in this case AA1. the suffix gives you information concerning changes, series numbers, and other specifics. When referring to the parts manual, you go to the 6000 section (engines and parts) find the prefix D4AE, and then the suffix AA1. The book tells you specifically what it is.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:19 AM
aka Duke of URL

Smile

Originally posted by pasadenahotrod:

[quote]The number you are referring to is the part number for the block.<hr></blockquote>

Well, close but no cigar. The number he is seeing on the block is a Casting I.D. No. which sometimes can be cross referenced to an Engineering No. It is then possible to cross reference an Engineering to a past or present Service Part No.

[quote]D4AE....the last 2 letters generally indicate the body the unit was destined for.<hr></blockquote>

The third character in the parts prefix gives you the car line the part was designed/released for. The fourth character gives you the source of the part. In this case the fourth character designates
engine foundry source.

[quote]Base Number: In this case 6015 indicates engine block.<hr></blockquote>

If you will notice, the basic part no. of a bare block is 6010. This is where casting/engineering and service part nos. differ. If you will also notice in FORD Service Literature, the basics given in the illustrations many times differ from the basics in the service part no. sections of the MPC.

[quote]Suffix: in this case AA1. the suffix gives you information concerning changes, series numbers, and other specifics. When referring to the parts manual, you go to the 6000 section (engines and parts) find the prefix D4AE, and then the suffix AA1. The book tells you specifically what it is.<hr></blockquote>

You usually have to go to a cross reference catalog to identify certain components. The only time a casting/engineering no. is listed in the MPC is for easy field identification of the part where a part listing is not that concise, say something released during a model run with no specific production break or maybe different pieces used at different assembly plants.

It is not an exact science.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:13 PM

Well then according to all the info just given the 5B10 code contradicts the D4AE part of the casting number (one says `75 and the other says `74). Where can I find out what my code says? I don't know where the engine came from?
Old 03-05-2003, 02:33 PM
Missing You

Last photo:

[quote]Originally posted by MeligN:
<strong>Well then according to all the info just given the 5B10 code contradicts the D4AE part of the casting number (one says `75 and the other says `74). Where can I find out what my code says? I don't know where the engine came from?</strong><hr></blockquote>

The D4AE is the casting number, meaning that's when the mold was cast (I think.) Not meaning that's when that exact block came out. Often times when a new design came out it got a new number and they used the same number until there was a design change. I know alot of fellas with '73 model 351Ms, but the casting number on the block is D1 ('71.)
Old 03-06-2003, 12:13 AM
aka Duke of URL

Thumbs up

[quote]The D4AE is the casting number, meaning that's when the mold was cast (I think.) Not meaning that's when that exact block came out.<hr></blockquote>

Thank You BBB!

The cast code is the set of molds used. The cast date is when the block was poured. Sometimes there will be another date code stamped on the block and this would be your assembly date.

There may be a series of castings that encompass years of assembly. The FE series clearly demonstrates this.
Old 03-06-2003, 12:53 AM

Cool

Awesome! I totally get. Where can I look up the codes for the engine specs? Is there a site or do I need to go look for the old catalogs n'books?
Old 03-06-2003, 01:33 AM
aka Duke of URL

Arrow

[quote]Originally posted by MeligN:

Where can I look up the codes for the engine specs? Is there a site or do I need to go look for the old catalogs n'books?<hr></blockquote>

Do you mean series specifics or engine specification data?

For series, DoubleVision gave you <a href="http://users.abilene.com/~dkelly/hotrod/engine2.html" target="_blank">-this site-</a>

This will not be a complete listing but will give you some basic information.
Old 03-07-2003, 04:09 PM

Cool

Ok, first of all I found this site that explains how to read the casting code.<a href="http://www.pacificnet.net/~fastoso/castingcode.html" target="_blank">Casting Codes</a>
I'm still a bit clueless about the "AA7" part of my code.
So I figured out that my engine was made in `75 and is the engine that was made for `74 Galaxies.

What I really need to find out about my engine is a long list of stock specs; Compression Pressure, Valve Lash, all of the Torque specs, Intake & Exhaust Valve Seat Angles & Valve Stem Clearance, Shaft End Play, Connecting Rod STD Inside Diameter, etc.....things of that nature.
Old 03-08-2003, 03:25 AM
aka Duke of URL

Arrow

[quote]I'm still a bit clueless about the "AA7" part of my code.<hr></blockquote>

The AA7 will identify the origional design/changes the engine block/molds have gone through since origional design. This gives FORD the ability to identify parts that they may be having trouble with, say a bad casting.

[quote]What I really need to find out about my engine is a long list of stock specs; Compression Pressure, Valve Lash, all of the Torque specs, Intake & Exhaust Valve Seat Angles & Valve Stem Clearance, Shaft End Play, Connecting Rod STD Inside Diameter, etc.....things of that nature.<hr></blockquote>

This information will be found in a FORD Service Manual or in a publication (Professional) such as MOTOR or Chilton.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.