Need a little advise. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2006, 11:28 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Need a little advise.

I've been seeing this girl for about 3 years now but I've known her for about 8 years, problem is that I have a girl on the way now and I'm lost on what to do.

I'm in the Army as a Mechanic and I just found out a few hours ago that I'm going to back to Iraq for another 6 months. I'm lost on what to do. I want to tell her now because I only have 2 weeks before I have to go, but I don't know how to explain to her (especially becasue I just came back from Iraq 5 months ago).

Any advise would be greatly appreciated,
Studebaker2JZ

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2006, 11:40 PM
Are we having fun yet?

Last photo:

This belongs in OFF-TOPIC.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:26 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Just do it ASAP. You have some responsibilities to take care of because you can leave this young lady in dire straights by shipping out and leaving her high and dry. The best legal thing to do is marry her quick and get her enrolled in Tri Care and listed as your beneficiary on your SGLI. You need to establish an allotment so that she can have some money coming in (you know you don't have much of an opportunity to spend money if you are in the field a lot), and if you are killed, seriously injured or go MIA, she and your child will have money coming in until the legal process is carried out. When you return from Iraq, then you can get all the loose ends straightened.

Now if you don't care for her or your kid's well being, then keep your mouth shut and ship out. You will hate yourself for this down the road because it is hard to run away from yourself.

Trees
Old 10-14-2006, 12:46 PM
ATA Welding Technology

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trees
Just do it ASAP. You have some responsibilities to take care of because you can leave this young lady in dire straights by shipping out and leaving her high and dry. The best legal thing to do is marry her quick and get her enrolled in Tri Care and listed as your beneficiary on your SGLI. You need to establish an allotment so that she can have some money coming in (you know you don't have much of an opportunity to spend money if you are in the field a lot), and if you are killed, seriously injured or go MIA, she and your child will have money coming in until the legal process is carried out. When you return from Iraq, then you can get all the loose ends straightened.

Now if you don't care for her or your kid's well being, then keep your mouth shut and ship out. You will hate yourself for this down the road because it is hard to run away from yourself.

Trees
I agree with him.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:18 PM

Last wiki edit: Suspension: designs, shapes, sizes Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 51

Yes also I am not sure as to who is eligable to apply for consciencous objector status but you could try. You could also attempt to move to Canada if you really don't want to go. Just make sure whatever you do is legal, that is if you want to be 99% sure you will be around for her and the kid. Its your life you make the choices, but whatever you do do as the others say and make sure she is a benificiary so your child is not left with no dad and in poverty.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:34 PM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by studebaker2jz
I've been seeing this girl for about 3 years now but I've known her for about 8 years, problem is that I have a girl on the way now and I'm lost on what to do.

I'm in the Army as a Mechanic and I just found out a few hours ago that I'm going to back to Iraq for another 6 months. I'm lost on what to do. I want to tell her now because I only have 2 weeks before I have to go, but I don't know how to explain to her (especially becasue I just came back from Iraq 5 months ago).

Any advise would be greatly appreciated,
Studebaker2JZ
I think the term you need to use is "Honey I received new orders and" ..... follow this with however you need to say the rest. Trees puts forth some good food for thought, cherry thunder sounds like a * with that lame rant.. Think he/she needs to remove the thunder from the handle and replace it with gas balloon, another living on the backs of the brave...... good luck to you and may God speed.

Last edited by killerformula; 10-15-2006 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Profanity.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:03 PM

Wow pepi I think that was entirly uncalled for, I was merly suggesting the guy think about his future and the future of the upcoming child. Maybe you need to get a life I mean the guy has served and certain priorities have arisen, it is his choice what to do.

Oh and another thing, not everyone has to serve their country in a controversial war to be a worthwhile human being, despite what you and some others think.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:06 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Chevythunder...............Sounds to me, like you are from Canada...........You have to understand that Canadians and American dont always think the same, or have the same choices.

Also, he joined the army...when you do that, you join for a set amout of time...If they say he is going overseas, he going. You can't say, I am joining the army, but if we are gong overseas, I quit.........doesn't work that way.

Budget RVs
Old 10-15-2006, 05:25 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Poncho is absolutely correct. In the US joining the military is a choice not an obligation or requirement. When you do join you sign an contract with the US government and basically sign away certain rights you have as a civilian. When you do this and take the oath you become subject to the UCMJ (Uniform Code of Military Justice) and are bound by this set of rules for the duration of your contract.

If the Army says you're going overseas, you go. No questions about it. Although there always is the conscientious objector option it is rarely granted and has to be supported by some kind of logical reasoning. Escaping to Canada is the cowards way out and will result in the individual never being able to step on US soil again without being arrested and charged with either being AWOL (absent without leave) or most likely desertion. The later would result in years in a federal prison.

My advice to the young man is: Be a MAN and live up to the obligations you have voluntarily agreed to. Just because you're serving in the military doesn't mean you can't support a family at the same time. Trees has given you some very good advice and he speaks from experience. I served with him and for a time he was my commanding officer. Trust me he knows what he's talking about.

Last edited by Centerline; 10-15-2006 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:46 PM

This is stupid, I DIDN'T TELL THIS GUY TO DO ANYTHING. I SIMPLY SUGGESTED HE CHOOSE HIS PRIORTIES.

YOU PEOPLE ARE SCREWED UP YOU DONT THINK A CHILD IS A PRIORITY? WHAT THE HELL?

Then you have the nerve to call me names.... Why do you people feel you must judge everyone and put them down?

So you served in the military, I respect that, HOWEVER that does not make you better than everyone else. It does not mean you should be able to put people down who feel that fighting in a war is not the only way to prove you love your country. I choose to support my country by going to work and supporting the economy. I respect those who join the military but I feel supporting the economy is an equally powerful way in keeping a nation strong. After all, where would the any nation be if they didn't have people paying taxes in order to supply the troops? I pay taxes and I don't complain about it so the government and soldiers in MY country can have the supplies they need when they go to war.

From my understanding the United States military is lacking the supplies and money for some of these things. Like how they could not supply bullet proof vests to some soldiers.

Again I am not saying nobody should join the army, I respect military men, but for some people it is not an option, and you don't have to judge those people for their choices in life. After all, its not like I am choosing to be a crack head who leeches off the economy then throws rocks at soldiers when they come home.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:11 PM

Give A Little And Get A Lot

Hi, Just Do Whats Right. Serve Your Country But Make Shore That Your Wife Or Girl Friend And Child Are Taken Care Of. And Get Home Safe I Agree With ' Trees' Thoughts
God Bless
Master Polisher
Old 10-15-2006, 08:48 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Pepi I edited your post. You can disagree all day long, but keep it civil. You've been a member for well over a year and you've been here long enough to know the guidelines.

I think this is especially important when we're trying to make points to people half our age.

K
Old 10-15-2006, 10:25 PM

Last photo:

Just to give give you a heads up, but running here to Canada will not fix anything. I believe that there is legislation that we will ship you back to the US to be dealt with.

Do what trees said to make sure that kid is OK. Then try and get out the legal way as soon as possible. You put your name down saying that you would do this.

John
Old 10-16-2006, 06:17 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectjohn
Just to give give you a heads up, but running here to Canada will not fix anything. I believe that there is legislation that we will ship you back to the US to be dealt with.

John

We dont ship anyone back.....................There was a guy recently that stayed here for years over this very issue........I dont remember the outcome.

So called "refugees" land here every day...they get immediate welfare and healthcare to the tune of about $2400/month. A person who has worked their whole life here is entitled to about $1400 in government pensions. Tell me that is fair.

Sorry about getting off topic, but it burns my bum..............

I am no fan of war, but people need to realize, that if they commit to something, they need to follow it through................you take the bad with the good. As Centerline said, it is a volunteer army................which it was not back in the Vietnam days........................that was a different story.

Budget RVs
Old 10-16-2006, 06:19 AM

hello

what are u guys talking about?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.