Hot Rod Forum banner

Need longer rod ends. Can anyone help?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  23TRex 
#1 ·
Hi--- I need to get longer rod ends for a new tie rod I bought for my T. (Don't want to custom order the rod at a big premium nor pay 20% restocking to send this one back.) Each rod end has a 1/2" of thread into each end of the rod when the adjustment is right. Looked online and can't find anything. Need LH and RH, 1/2" tie rod ends. (With maybe 1/2" more thread or so)

I put an example (pic) of these common ends in this post. Hope it shows up. Anyway,
THANK you guys.
Robert

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I know of a machine shop that will make you one. The owner is a hot-rodder, who makes custom parts for some parts houses, and he custom fabricates anything that you throw at him.
Dan Chounard
Industrial Distributors
Nashua, NH
603-882-0461

He's made some stuff for me and he is good. Ask him about "That old Ford" in the garage.

#3 ·
RE: Need Longer Rod Ends

Thanks. It may come to a custom piece but if I can't find rod ends with more thread length, I may return the tie rod itself, get a longer one and cut it a bit. Or, I may drop some threaded rod in, and cap it with a female rod end vs. the males that came with it. Still hoping for more thread length ends to be found. I'm looking on http://www.mcmaster.com to see if they have anything. Still hoping for someone who knows they exist or someone who knows they don't so I can make a good decision.

Love this forum.
Robert

#5 ·
Need Longer rod ends..

Thanks. Well, splitting the rod is not something I want to do 'cause it's chrome. .. :) Love the chrome and I want to keep it nice. So, unless I can find a tie rod end with more thread, I'll have to ship it back, (pay 20% restock too) get a longer one and cut it. Then I'll need to tap it too since I'll be cutting the inner threads on the tie rod itself. This one was so close too..... The custom ones take 8 weeks and it will be roddin season by then. Fighting a brake problem too. Put a rebuilt master cylinder in, routed new line and tried and tried to bleed the dang thing and discovered the master cylinder is BAD!. And it's under the T on the frame rail. Man my neck hurts!. Oh well, all part of the fun??

Thanks. Still hoping for someone who knows where you can get longer rod ends...

Thanks folks!
Robert

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.