Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Need to lower comp. 383 sbc build
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 10:13 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEED MASTERS CC View Post
I purchased a new 383 short block with a zero deck and flat tops. (Cheap price, could not pass up...) I need to lower the compression into the low 10-1 range so it will run on pump gas. I have 2 pairs of 882 heads that are 76cc. One pair is drilled for steam. Are these heads worth using on a budget street rod build? Both pairs need rebuilding. Can the steam holed heads be used on a 350/383 block? The engine will have ram horn exhaust manifolds and a tri-power intake with a Isky 280 cam, duration @.05 is 230. Or should i look into something else? Looking for the best bang for the buck...Suggestions?
thanks.
There are better open chamber SBC heads than the 882, but none of them are anything to write home about. They are what the are, a smog head. You would be way ahead of the game if you could swing a set of 72-75cc aftermarket heads, but if not then so be it- I can sure understand staying within a budget.

A pair of 441 heads would be marginally better but I wouldn't go chasing them, either.

Anyway, even w/a "perfect" 0.040" quench distance, the CR is only about 9.75:1 w/76cc heads. Measure how far down the piston is at TDC and choose a head gasket accordingly to maximize the quench.

And it's always a good idea to CC at least one chamber from each head you plan on using to be sure they're equal to each other and that they've not been milled excessively.

There are guys here who'll give you recommendations on cams, I generally don't, except to say the 280 Mega is not what I would use. A cam having a faster lobe w/less duration @ 0.050" lift will give you better power under the curve than that old-school stick. Think Lunati Voodoo series, for example. If you're going to use the 882 heads, especially w/cast iron exhaust manifolds, use a dual pattern cam. The 280 Mega will want a bit more CR along w/a loser torque converter (if AT) and lower rear gears than a shorter duration cam w/the same lift.

Use a dual plane intake like the Performer RPM or Weiand Stealth p/n 8016. A squarebore 650/670/700/750 cfm vacuum secondary carb will work well w/this. So would long tube headers.