Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Need to lower comp. 383 sbc build
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 07:19 AM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEED MASTERS CC View Post
I purchased a new 383 short block with a zero deck and flat tops. (Cheap price, could not pass up...) I need to lower the compression into the low 10-1 range so it will run on pump gas. I have 2 pairs of 882 heads that are 76cc. One pair is drilled for steam. Are these heads worth using on a budget street rod build? Both pairs need rebuilding. Can the steam holed heads be used on a 350/383 block? The engine will have ram horn exhaust manifolds and a tri-power intake with a Isky 280 cam, duration @.05 is 230. Or should i look into something else? Looking for the best bang for the buck...Suggestions?
thanks.
what is the current compression ratio. A thicker head gasket should do the trick for lower CR. but with 10:1 you should be ok on the street with proper tuning and setup.

882 are crap buy votec 061/L31 or buy camel hump heads or another that flows as well. also after market aluminum heads will work with 10:1 on the street without issue. If cast iron heads a border line then aluminum will usally solve your issues. But cant be sure without running all the numbers. Flat tops can be 0 cc to 12 cc thats a big jump also heads vary alot from head to head. so no real assurance they meet the 64cc mark either.

Is it knocking now when you drive it. Most engine builders try not to build motors that will knock on pump gas in the 10:1 or 11:1 range usally with race gas and good cam 12:1 is easy to get and makes alot more power in most cases. Since the DCR will change the way the compression acts a larger cam could also resolve the issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to hcompton For This Useful Post:
SPEED MASTERS CC (12-13-2012)