Need more power!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2003, 09:59 PM
Luv the smell of burnt RICE

Wiki Edits: 0

Need more power!!

It starts off as a bascily stock SBC 350 wtih shorty hooker headers, performer intake, holley 750 and a gear drive.. pretty basic motor o ya and i reuiblt the distributor.. plugs wires.. its in awsome workin condition.. but its also in a full size pick up.. the motors a 80-85.. so no idea wut stock power out put is.. ok well soon enough im gona be doing a cam swap with a magnum 280.. then my headers are cracked.. so gona do long tubes.. with some flowmasters, then while its apart gona do roller lifters.. roller rockers.. and replace valve springs and seals.. wut else can i possibly do besides taking the bottom end apart? head work? maybe a new or used set of performance heads... if so how much would heads boast my power? i noticed there kinda pricy.. but if the gains are high then i'd make the sacrifice... thanx for replys!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2003, 10:03 PM

Old 10-02-2003, 10:14 PM

now u no how i feel..
Old 10-02-2003, 10:15 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

first off, I kinda don`t understand what you mean exactly, but I took it as if your gonna drop roller lifters on a 280 magnum cam and it don`t work like that, the 280 is a flat tappet hydraulic cam and roller lifters won`t work on it, the lobes are designed differently and it would push them out of the lifter bore. to do a roller conversion on a older 2 piece seal block you have to buy the retro roller kit, and were talking $$$$ your looking at $700 for the cam and lifters alone, that`s not counting springs, locks, retainers, head work and etc. if you want to go roller cam it`s best to find a block that came with them from the factory in 87 and on model years, that way you just buy the cam and other valvetrain hardware and not have to worry about the tappets. If you want to run the magnum cam with flat tappet lifters then you`ll be facing another headache, you`ll need to raise the compression ratio, you`ll need a stall converter if your running a automatic and decent rear gears, otherwise the truck will be a slug. 224 duration is about the max with a stock converter. all the major cam companies online layout the required mods to run a cam of the size desired.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:32 PM

Sorry about that double vision.. ya that was the plan.. i had a feeling thats how it worked with the roller cam... had to go with the lifters.. dam.. so much for that idea.. also im running a 4 spd standard trany.. with 4:10 gears out back.. im gettin a cowl hood and the bigest K&N out there.. i guess theres not much else to do?
Old 10-02-2003, 10:35 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

get yourself a comp cams HE268 cam, this with the gears your running will work fine with the compression ratio, get valvesprings to match the cam. no need to be sorry, were all here to learn.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.