Need a muffler - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2010, 08:39 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Need a muffler

I need a lead on a specific muffler, hopefully someone will have a suggestion.

The car is a 1962 Olds F-85 wagon. The muffler sits crossways behind the rear axle, like a Camaro. This car has a 215 cu in aluminum V8 and is very low, so the factory exhaust is a single 2" pipe that runs in the tunnel next to the driveshaft. I've fabricated a 2.5" exhaust pipe that follows the stock location using a Dynomax intermediate pipe for a Camaro (I only needed to make a small pie cut over the rear axle and it fits great) and fabricating the front section from mandrel bends and straight sections. The problem now is the muffler. My original plan was to use a Dynomax Super Turbo 17739, which is the Camaro style with 2.5" inlet and dual 2.5" outlets.

Unfortunately, the body is nearly 10" across, and it becomes a tailhook at the back of the car.

I stumbled across a Magnaflow Camaro muffler, P/N 12265, same inlet and outlets but the body is only 5"x8".

This one fits much better, but is louder than I'd like. The question, naturally, is, does anyone know of a Camaro-style muffler (single inlet, dual outlets on opposite ends) with 2.5" inlet, either 2.5" or 2.25" outlets, and a body that's no larger than about 8" diameter? Yes, I'm aware that Magnaflow makes a version like the one I have with the smaller outlets, and yes, it may be a little quieter. Understandably I'm hesitant to blow another $100 on a too-loud Magnaflow. I like the Dynomax Super Turbo sound, but all of their Camaro-style mufflers are 4.25" x 9.75". Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2010, 09:54 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Can you put a resonator in the system anywhere??..that may be what you need just that bit extra muffler..

Sam
Old 07-06-2010, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
Can you put a resonator in the system anywhere??..that may be what you need just that bit extra muffler..

Sam
Yeah, I've been looking at that also. The tail pipes are short S-turns that are only about a foot long (they dump behind the rear wheels), so there's no room there. Most of the exhaust pipe runs in the tunnel next to the driveshaft so there's no room there either. There might be room for a small diameter resonator just behind the Y-pipe. I've been looking at some 3.5" body, 2.5" pipe mufflers for just this reason.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:37 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The 88 f-bird I had used a single inlet and dual outlet that exited on either side of the muffler. Might be what your looking for.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqzbox
The 88 f-bird I had used a single inlet and dual outlet that exited on either side of the muffler. Might be what your looking for.
Yes, the mufflers I posted pictures of are F-body mufflers, so I'm aware of those. There are similar mufflers used on a number of cars, including some G-bodies. Unfortunately they are all as large or larger than the Dynomax I showed, thus my question looking for a smaller one.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:01 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

OK, sorry. I purchased a 3" cat back system out of JC whitney and your right, it is quite large with 3" inlet and dual 21/2" outlets. Sounded great though. Had a little grumble but not loud. I like to mash on it without letting every cop within a mile know that I'm coming!

My mistake.
The pic of the dynomax does look a little smaller than the turbo I got. Might be hard pressed to find one smaller.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqzbox
OK, sorry. I purchased a 3" cat back system out of JC whitney and your right, it is quite large with 3" inlet and dual 21/2" outlets. Sounded great though. Had a little grumble but not loud. I like to mash on it without letting every cop within a mile know that I'm coming!

My mistake.
The pic of the dynomax does look a little smaller than the turbo I got. Might be hard pressed to find one smaller.
Well, Walker certainly doesn't make any, since all of the F-body style turbos are 4.25" x 9.75" body size. The Magnaflow is 5 x 8 and is the smallest I've found with that inlet/outlet configuration. The good news is that now that I have the tailpipes on, the car is somewhat quieter inside. Apparently without the tailpipes the noise was resonating in the rear axle cavity under the car. We'll see if there's any drone on the freeway.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.