Need my 35 Cab blasted in Southern California - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2012, 03:56 PM
Under Construction

Wiki Edits: 0

Need my 35 Cab blasted in Southern California

Looking to get my 35 Chevy pickup blasted in the Temecula area. Anybody know any good shops that dont kill you on price? I need the interior and exterior blasted? Do I then get it all put into primer? I appreciate the help guys.

Joshua

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,187 Times in 1,046 Posts
Well first let's clarify that you are need to bring it to a professional who regularly does classic cars. DO NOT SANDBLAST the body, be sure they are using some other media. I am no expert sandblaster so while I don't know what TO DO, I sure as heck have seen what can happen when you do what you are NOT suppose to do.

I had a professional sandblaster destroy a few vintage doors for me (we are talking 34 Ford and 28 Buick). We are not talking "darn it, I have more work" kinda damage, we are talking "&%$#, IT'S RUINED AND HAS TO BE THROWN AWAY!" kinda damage.

And I have read too many stories on forums with the same experiences, classic, beautiful cars being DESTROYED by some guy who did a fine job sandblasting farm implements. Sheetmetal and tractor frame are two totally different things.

Be careful, very careful.

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 05-08-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:31 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Right you are Brian......What kills me is these restoration shows on TV, show the guy blasting away on these cars and them not mentioning the damage that can be done... ....They make it look all so easy

Budget RVs
Old 05-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Under Construction

Media blasting is what I am looking for. Should I just do it all myself by hand? It's a small cab.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:52 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,187 Times in 1,046 Posts
"Media" is what ANYTHING you blast with is called, sand, soda, glass beads, this is the "media".

Like I said, I have little experience in the subject so I can't offer a lot. I do know that you don't want soda as it will need a painstaking neutralizing or can cause you all kinds of trouble. Most all paint manufacturers say DO NOT soda blast for this reason.

From what I understand there are only a few that will touch the rust, I know plastic doesn't, it only removes paint and that is about it.

The thing is, does it really need to be striped like that? Can you sand off the paint on all the flat panels and then spot blast at home tight spots in the jambs and such that you can't sand out easy? Is the floor and inner structure all rusted ? I will have the same decisions to make on my next project.

Brian
Old 05-09-2012, 11:07 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Locate a powder coating facility. If they can't do the work they will know someone that can. Temecula area there should be half a dozen within 25 miles.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.