Need a new floor jack - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2012, 09:27 PM
Boost Retard

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I love my Arcan XL-35R, and I bought it at costco for $89... low profile, quick pump, well built good control lowering... It is a monster (if I remember right just short of 105#), but usually you want something beefy under whatever you're working on.

Advertisement

Last edited by Silverback; 07-10-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 09:59 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

NAPA had a SUPER deal on this 3.5 ton professional series ($199.99 CAD)
PN 791-6420. Check with your local store ... perhaps he still has some remaining stock?

Another suggestion would be to ask the opinion of a tire shop and/or a hydraulic jack repair shop.

You'd want to buy a durable jack that CAN be repaired.
So many of them are throw-aways these days.

The 2-stage "2-3 pumps until it contacts the frame" ("speed jack") feature is desireable as well.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:04 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evintho View Post
Picked up this Hein-Werner 1-1/4 ton off of craigslist for $25. Rebuilt the ram, cleaned it up and now I have a quality jack
"cleaned it up" is an understatement ... that's what I call "sanitized"
Old 07-11-2012, 07:53 AM

Last photo:

My dad had a near death experience with one of those shortie floorjacks. I talked to a couple guys in the shop and got 3 recommendations for the heavy duty HF jack. Its NOT aluminum (they have trouble with leaks) and it probably weighs 80 pounds or more; but its smooth, low profile (won't fit under my uncles vette though) and easy to move around. The release, as said before, is a bit touchy. And the handle is big, has deep knurling, however theres no cap on the end of it and it doesn't collapse. I used the 20 percent off coupon in one of the magazines. It was less than 100 after tax. (We don't have costco here)
Old 07-12-2012, 08:01 PM

Hi,
I bought a taiwanese 2 ton floor jack from shucks in about 1987 it still works well but is really too small to easily lift my 3/4 ton pickup, so found an old Gray air over hydraulic end lift at the Portland swap meet 5 years ago and thought that would be the cats meow. After using it I have found I dont use it, as it is too heavy, hard to move , takes up too much space and needs more than 125 psi to work very fast.
About a year ago while perusing Craigslist I found an old Walker 5000 lb floor jack. It is over 4 ft long has a handle that is about as long and just works great. The handle has three positions where it meets the body so the handle can be lowered to push the jack further under a car. The handle has a tee on the end so it is easy even to pull it out onto the grass in front of the garage. It is maybe four inches high to maybe twenty five inches. Even as big and heavy as it is it's easier to maneuver under a car and around the shop than the little one, ( i dont have to bend over to pick it up) the big handle gives a lot of leverage. It only cost $175 and even if it didn't work perfect it would be worth spending money on to rebuild. It's one of those things I should have bought many years ago and saved myself a lot of work. It is designed for the job it does and works so well it is a pleasure to use.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:20 PM

I used to have to work on a fleet of P30 Chevy "bread trucks".
After blowing out several 2 ton professional floor jacks,I bought a 5 ton long frame jack-that counts as one of the best tools I ever bought,even though my boss cried about spending $500 for a jack.
Just knowing that the jack isn't going to give up during the few seconds when you're crawling under a 10,000 lb truck to set up the jackstands is worth every penny.....

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.