Need New Idea For 69 Camaro - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2005, 09:57 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Need New Idea For 69 Camaro

Hey guys,

Lately I have been itching for a new project. My 69 Z is done and I like the restoration as opposed to the completion. My friends say I am nuts and I can only have one car at a time because of space. So instead of a new project I would maybe consider changing mine around a little and I thought of installing a tri carb set up. I have a built 327 that was dynoed at 405 hp. I currently have a Holly 650 Double pumper which works outstanding and I am told that a tri carb set up would be too much. So my next thought would be a fuel injection set up. What do you guys think? I have been told that they are hard to install on older engines and difficult to manage. Is there a plug and play system out there that works well is easy to install and won't break the bank. I am really looking for any ideas to do something different. Anything????

Please take a look in my GALLERY to see what the car looks like in detail.

Thanks Dave

Advertisement

Last edited by daveh; 07-20-2005 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Just wanted to change the e-mail notification. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2005, 10:04 AM

Last photo:

screwed the dog here.

your the meaning in my life , your the inspiration....

heres a idea. those military trucks with the differential with the spinning wheel on the end. use one of those. i see them all the time at truck shows.

the holley 4DI?

or how a bout a Gvendors?

aftermarket fuel injection is to problematic. unless it is a alrerady well designed system you just have to up keep.

Last edited by Drugs; 07-20-2005 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:14 AM
Big Block Z28

Last photo:

I ran a Holley ProJection 4 throttle body on my 70 Z28 for many years. I bought it when they first came out and it was the system without the oxygen sensor. It only used a temp sensor and a throttle position sensor. To make a long story shot, it was a pain for the 15 years that I ran it. There was no middle ground with the ProJection; either it was too rich or too lean. I'm convinced the electronics box wasn't right but Holley claimed it was. I wanted them to send me the schematic so I could have an electrical engineer check it but they wouldn't give me the schematic. Holley's tech support was one notch short of useless. Would I recommend Holley's new system? Not a chance.

If you're going to run FI, I'd suggest the Edelbrock or Accel but you'r talking about $2000. What is really nice is a GM TPI unit, but again, it's money and probably more work than the aftermarket units. I recently swapped my 350 LT1 over to a 468 BB and I initially put the Holley ProJection unit on. I've since replaced it with a 780 cfm carburetor.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:21 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

That is sweet! If it ain't broke don't "fix it". JMO
Old 07-20-2005, 11:43 AM

Last photo:

Hippie,

I understand "if it's not broke don't fix it" but like I said I was looking for another project and my friends convinced me not to sell it and to keep me busy I thought I would try something different. If any of you guys have any suggestions I would love to hear them.

I am still not adverse to beginning another project. If you have suggestions there I would love to hear them. I know I would'nt have any problems selling or trading this one and I would have the $$$ to begin the new build. Suggestions?????

Should I switch this thread to the lounge?

Dave
Old 07-20-2005, 01:05 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveh
Hippie,

I am still not adverse to beginning another project. If you have suggestions there I would love to hear them. I know I would'nt have any problems selling or trading this one and I would have the $$$ to begin the new build. Suggestions
Dave
Yeah, bottle up some of your ambition and send me a case!
Old 07-20-2005, 01:10 PM

Last photo:

Hippie,

Been doing it since I was a kid and I don't see me slowing down anytime soon. I can't get enough of American muscle.

Dave
Old 07-21-2005, 07:01 AM

Last photo:

Man that is an awesome car. I have been looking for a 69 camaro turn key car forever. I settled for the car I have now which needs work/restoration because I couldn't find one like yours. Anyway, since you are looking for a project I have a 1970 dodge challenger R/T that I don't ever see me finishing. I just don't have the skills I thought I had or the money to pay someone to finish it and thought you may be interested in a trade with me throwing in some cash. I got this car about 11 years ago from a guy I worked with's father ( he was the original owner) and since then I have had all new floors, fenders, quarters and trunk pan professionally installed. I have also bought a ton of parts over the years at Carlisle. It has the original 440 which starts but really needs to be rebuilt because it smokes, it also has the original 4 speed and the paperwork says it's a super track pac car with a dana 60. I can give you more detail if you are interested. Let me know.

Jim
Old 07-21-2005, 07:14 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveh
Hippie,

Been doing it since I was a kid and I don't see me slowing down anytime soon. I can't get enough of American muscle.

Dave

After looking at your photo album.....I believe your Camaro is not a original Z.......it that correct? I see some real Z28 items not there......

The car is very nice and I like it. Since it is NOT a numbers matching, dead on restoration.......just do to it what you want......and enjoy the car and it's changes. It most likely is a LOT more fun than original (I got to worry about everything kind of restoration) numbers matching Z28. Real cars evolve. I catch grief some a lot of the old timers and the AACA guys about my all steel, original body 32 Ford roadster. They say I ruined a good car. I should have restored it...BAh... It has been a HotRod since the late 30's......and I built it to drive and enjoy....not haul.

DEUCE.......former owner of a 1969 RS Z28 ( fathom green with white stripes...)

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 07-21-2005, 08:43 AM

Last photo:

Deuce,

Thanks for the note. It is an original Z minus the motor and trans. I bought it about 6 years ago from the original owner who had it in his field and he was selling it as a parts car. It was left after his son butchered it and left it for dead years ago. Anyway I am sure you are referring to the aftermarket gouges, etc. Like I said it was missing practically everything and I haven't come up with the $500.00 for the harness and gauges yet. Thanks
Old 07-21-2005, 10:37 AM

Last photo:

cross fire injection off of an mid 80's vette, eliminate the egr valve, hide the wiring, have fun

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.