Hot Rod Forum banner

Need a new shop vac

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  SteveU 
#1 ·
It's about over - and a burial service will be held shortly at the town transfer(dump!) station for my 23+ year old 16 gallon Craftsman shop vac. It has served its' time well - early in life my son filled it full of water several times cleaning out the boat of suspicious debris, neglecting to drain it as well as remove the filter - it rusted solid - plus a $17 filter each time. Then of course it has been set on fire, again early in its' life when cleaning out the wood stove we used to use - little damage - except another @#$% $17 filter - again, my son (yes, he did survive my occasional wrath and grew up and is now raising 3 'problems' of his own).

Now it's time to look for a new shop vac. I've seen 14-16 gallon versions from $79 to $600++. I don't want a pro level expensive vac - just a nice $90 - $125+/- vac that will survive an occasional 'incident'.

This brings up my question - another Crapsman? a Home Depot Rigid?? some other brand???.

What's the experience for some shop vacs?

Dave W

#5 ·
Mark - That is really some contraption you have - I do like the idea of just changing out a plastic bag as I too make a fair amount of wood dust. It does need to be a bit more portable then I believe you is though. I do have a big JET dust collector for my wood tools when I decide to use it but it is a real PITA to clean so usually just use my shop vac to clean my wood dust mess. Is that Shop Vac brand doing a good job??

Sounds like the Rigid does a good job - and yes, my ancient Craftsman too does sound like a 737 at WOT, so maybe I'll listen to whichever I buy (plus check replacement filter pricing - $17+ a shot is hard to swallow just on general principle - even though I do clean it as well)

Dave W

#7 ·
I have a rigid shop vc and honestly have forgotten how much I paid for it whcih has served me welll..I got some extra hose so I can reach the entire inside of a car without moving the vac..I even rigged a Dewalt sander with a vac attachment to it for sanding drywall and that worked out well..Only vac I have..

Sam

#9 ·
For those interested in a quiet vac look at the Fein models, they are about the quietest things out there but are more expensive than a typical shopvac. First time I heard one in action was at a woodworking show where the guy was running one hooked to a 6" ROS sanding a board having a conversation with me in a normal tone of voice & not shouting. I wound up getting the mini turbo which I hook to a ROS, belt sander, & also cleaning out the foam filters on the home AC. Much more pleasant to run than the 747 winding up for takeoff ie the 25 gal shopvac.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.