Hot Rod Forum banner

Need a New Torque Wrench

14K views 33 replies 20 participants last post by  adrahn 
#1 ·
I need a new torque wrench and have been using my old Craftsman beam torque wrench, but she has some damage to the reading and I no longer trust it. Now I need a new Torque Wrench so which one is more accurate. I have read that if you drop a Click type torque wrench you will have to get it calibrated. The beam type just have to get calibrated to verify the settings. Is it worth the extra money to get a click ($69.99 Craftsmen) over the beam ($24.99 Craftsman). This will be used to torque my mains, rods, and heads for the SBC 400 i'm building.

#4 ·
Go to Home Depot and pick up a "Husky" click type torque wrench. Should be about $50 or less. My wife got me one afew Xmas ago. I just had to R/R the head on my 230/6 cyl truck. I had to use the torque wrench again, I had forgotten how nice it was to use such a "good" tool! ...I remember the days trying to get 120 lb.s on a cap bolt and trying to lean over to read the beam type and still keep the pressure up! *L* What a pain!!! Good Luck! ...Mark

#5 ·
Jag Daddy said:
Ebay! I spent 20.00 for a clicker type that came with a 5 1/2 extension and a 3/8 adapter. Tested it against a Buddy's and it clicks at the same point. Came with a nice case too

Regards
Mark
Any time you use an extension it changes the tourqe values. If at all possable don't use an extension. I use a Snap-on tourqe wrench that has a flip up lock and a dial indicator. It also doesn't have to be returned to "0" when done.

#7 ·
I would go with a clicker over the pointer. With a little care, a clicker will last a hobby guy a life time. The biggest errors made in proper torquing is dirty, dry, or boogered threads. Always chase the threads in the block/nut/bolt, clean and lightly lubricate before installing. Now you can get a good torque reading.

Trees

#10 · (Edited)
Wrong! Depending on the length of the extension an the tourqe applied. You mean you never had a long extension flex under high tourqe applications? That would change the amount of pull on the bolt. I didn't belive it for a long time untill I saw it in a handbook of some kind at work about 10 years ago.

#11 · (Edited)
Bad Rat 414

I realize that you are set in your ways but I can reasure you that I performed this test on a torque wrench calibration stand using various 90 degree extensions and the results always matched the torque I had without using any extension.

I have used extensions on torque wrenches in the Aircraft Industry as well as my current position as Heavy Equipment Mechanic.

If you search the net you will find several articles on this exact subject.

Here is a little piece that I found on my search.

" From time to time people have asked me if it is OK to use an extension with a torque wrench. The answer is yes. Using an extension or reducer with a torque wrench does not affect the accuracy. "

EDIT: I might say you have a point if the extension is extremely long and the person is not holding the wrench with the extension at a 90 degree angle to the beam. Also using a torque wrench you should pull it in a smooth manner with no jerking. If you fail to follow the requirements of using a torque wrench then you will not get a accurate torque no matter what you have on the end.

#12 · (Edited)
Well, I guess we agree to dissagree. I too was an Aircraft mechanic..C130's in the Air force. I too also am an offroad and diesel mechanic. I cut my teeth on Cat 777's (80 ton haul trucks), Komatso, John Deere, Cat., front end loaders, pans, escavators, Dozers. Weird ain't it?:thumbup:

#13 ·
Bad Rat 414

Ok agree to disagree, But you may want to read the little booklet that came with that Snap-On Torque wrench as it states in it that it doesn't make a difference.

Air Force also A-10 and F-15 Test Teams
Douglas Aircraft Co. DC-9 Super 80
Cummins L-10, Detroit 6V92, 6V71,8V71 & Series 50

#14 · (Edited)
11echo said:
Go to Home Depot and pick up a "Husky" click type torque wrench. Should be about $50 or less. My wife got me one afew Xmas ago. I just had to R/R the head on my 230/6 cyl truck. I had to use the torque wrench again, I had forgotten how nice it was to use such a "good" tool! ...I remember the days trying to get 120 lb.s on a cap bolt and trying to lean over to read the beam type and still keep the pressure up! *L* What a pain!!! Good Luck! ...Mark
Went to Home Depot and bought that $69.00 Husky Torque Wrench, so I will see how she holds up tomorrow when I torque my main and rod bolts. Went to sears but for a 1/2 they wanted a 99.00.

How could using a deep socket affect torque to using a regular socket.

#15 ·
It doesn't make a difference if you have an extension on a torque wrench. The extension that the book you saw that in was describing an actual 'extension' of the length of the wrench, such as can be used with that Snap-On torque wrench you have.

Figure it like this, a spring flexes like the extension does. Take that spring and set it on a scale, put a hundred pound load on the spring. It'll still read a hundred pounds on the scale (plus the weight of the spring of course). None of the weight magically disappears.

An extension(s) will kill the amount of torque an impact gun will deliver because of all the flex however.

#16 ·
I would suggest to anyone that is using a torque wrench on a part that they consider critical to find someone that can calibrate it for them. You might be surprised as to how far off they can really be.

This doesn't apply to just the cheaper brands either as all 3 of my Snap-On's were off from where they should have been.

#18 · (Edited)
I've got a real old Warren and Brown Aussie made tension wrench. It's the duck's guts over here (IE. good). This one has a firing pin that pops out when the preset torque level is reached. Problem was the graduation markings plate had come off and I was'nt sure if I had been successful in refitting it in the correct position. So I took it to work and I mated it directly, at 90 degrees, to another torque wrench's drive (the same brand but much newer), placed the bottom wrench's handle tip on the ground and applied force to the top wrench. With both at the same settings they both triggered at the same moment. My work mates were watching and we were all pleasantly surprised. What could of been a piece of scrap metal has remained one of the most valued tools in my possession. The wrenches can be seen here http://www.jsr-performance.com/WarrenandBrown/wandb.htm
I think it would be common sense to have the shortest extension bar as possible. The difference would be barely be measurable. But I can assure you there would be a difference, even if it's to the minutest degree - particularly at the higher torque settings. Quite often when removing wheels with a rattle/impact gun I've had to remove the 6" extension bar and place the socket directly to the gun just to crack a tight nut free. Just shows we're all thinking. And long as one is prepared to go that one step further in trying to understand what they're actually doing well I think most problems would well be avoided.

#19 ·
DTL504 said:
I need a new torque wrench and have been using my old Craftsman beam torque wrench, but she has some damage to the reading and I no longer trust it. Now I need a new Torque Wrench so which one is more accurate. I have read that if you drop a Click type torque wrench you will have to get it calibrated. The beam type just have to get calibrated to verify the settings. Is it worth the extra money to get a click ($69.99 Craftsmen) over the beam ($24.99 Craftsman). This will be used to torque my mains, rods, and heads for the SBC 400 i'm building.
i think the beam torque wrench have lifetime warranty

#20 ·
#21 ·
Using offset torque wrench adapters

Using a torque wrench adapter offset from the square drive of a torque wrench adds or subtracts from the leverage of the torque wrench depending upon the angle of the adapter. It can be said that as long as the adapter is at 90 degree angle to the torque wrench it is a one to one ratio. That is true to a certain degree because the difference is small. However it does increase the leverage. I believe the Torque Wrench Adapter Calculator at http://www.cncexpo.com/TorqueAdapter.aspx correctly calculates the 90 degree angle if you want to see how much difference it makes.

#23 ·
I don't want to dispute anyone, but I was always under the impression that an extension would change, however small, the torque on the bolt.

I have often used a longer screwdriver to get more torque on a screw. Or, am I thinking apples and oranges.

#25 ·
adrahn said:
Using a torque wrench adapter offset from the square drive of a torque wrench adds or subtracts from the leverage of the torque wrench depending upon the angle of the adapter. It can be said that as long as the adapter is at 90 degree angle to the torque wrench it is a one to one ratio. That is true to a certain degree because the difference is small. However it does increase the leverage. I believe the Torque Wrench Adapter Calculator at http://www.cncexpo.com/TorqueAdapter.aspx correctly calculates the 90 degree angle if you want to see how much difference it makes.
This thread was from over three years ago :rolleyes:

That calculator is for an offset extension ONLY and a straight 90 deg extension makes no difference as long as it is held parallel to the fastener and not allowed to lean over.

#26 ·
Mustangsaly said:
where does a guy that don't see a snap on or other tool truck get a click type torque wrench calibrated ? I have a nice 1/2 drive clicker but was left a 65 or 70 ft pounds for I don't know how long, maybe a yr. so I don't trust it but don't want to just throw it away.
Call around to tire shops, one that I go to has a calibrator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.