Need a New Torque Wrench - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2004, 12:36 PM
84 Z28 Convertible

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Need a New Torque Wrench

I need a new torque wrench and have been using my old Craftsman beam torque wrench, but she has some damage to the reading and I no longer trust it. Now I need a new Torque Wrench so which one is more accurate. I have read that if you drop a Click type torque wrench you will have to get it calibrated. The beam type just have to get calibrated to verify the settings. Is it worth the extra money to get a click ($69.99 Craftsmen) over the beam ($24.99 Craftsman). This will be used to torque my mains, rods, and heads for the SBC 400 i'm building.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2004, 12:47 PM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I would spend the extra money to get a clicker type, plus all the torque will be even with the clicker type.
This way you can watch what your doing instead of the pointer and gauge.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:59 PM
British Style with USA Muscle

Last photo:

Ebay! I spent 20.00 for a clicker type that came with a 5 1/2 extension and a 3/8 adapter. Tested it against a Buddy's and it clicks at the same point. Came with a nice case too

Regards
Mark
Old 05-03-2004, 05:54 PM
Old Guys Rule!...EVERYTHING!

Last photo:

Go to Home Depot and pick up a "Husky" click type torque wrench. Should be about $50 or less. My wife got me one afew Xmas ago. I just had to R/R the head on my 230/6 cyl truck. I had to use the torque wrench again, I had forgotten how nice it was to use such a "good" tool! ...I remember the days trying to get 120 lb.s on a cap bolt and trying to lean over to read the beam type and still keep the pressure up! *L* What a pain!!! Good Luck! ...Mark
Old 05-03-2004, 06:13 PM
www.bigblock67chevelle.com

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Jag Daddy
Ebay! I spent 20.00 for a clicker type that came with a 5 1/2 extension and a 3/8 adapter. Tested it against a Buddy's and it clicks at the same point. Came with a nice case too

Regards
Mark
Any time you use an extension it changes the tourqe values. If at all possable don't use an extension. I use a Snap-on tourqe wrench that has a flip up lock and a dial indicator. It also doesn't have to be returned to "0" when done.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:34 PM

Bad Rat 414

The extension only changes the torque when you add length to the wrench, If you use a extension that is 90 degrees to the main beam of the wrench it doesn't change the torque.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:31 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

I would go with a clicker over the pointer. With a little care, a clicker will last a hobby guy a life time. The biggest errors made in proper torquing is dirty, dry, or boogered threads. Always chase the threads in the block/nut/bolt, clean and lightly lubricate before installing. Now you can get a good torque reading.

Trees
Old 05-03-2004, 08:29 PM

Last photo:

Re: Bad Rat 414

Quote:
Originally posted by Tmod
The extension only changes the torque when you add length to the wrench, If you use a extension that is 90 degrees to the main beam of the wrench it doesn't change the torque.
There's always someone who wants to dissagree.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:37 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

"There's always someone who wants to dissagree."

'Specially when they're right.

tom
Old 05-03-2004, 09:16 PM

Last photo:

Wrong! Depending on the length of the extension an the tourqe applied. You mean you never had a long extension flex under high tourqe applications? That would change the amount of pull on the bolt. I didn't belive it for a long time untill I saw it in a handbook of some kind at work about 10 years ago.

Last edited by Bad Rat 414; 05-03-2004 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:31 PM

Bad Rat 414

I realize that you are set in your ways but I can reasure you that I performed this test on a torque wrench calibration stand using various 90 degree extensions and the results always matched the torque I had without using any extension.

I have used extensions on torque wrenches in the Aircraft Industry as well as my current position as Heavy Equipment Mechanic.

If you search the net you will find several articles on this exact subject.

Here is a little piece that I found on my search.

" From time to time people have asked me if it is OK to use an extension with a torque wrench. The answer is yes. Using an extension or reducer with a torque wrench does not affect the accuracy. "

EDIT: I might say you have a point if the extension is extremely long and the person is not holding the wrench with the extension at a 90 degree angle to the beam. Also using a torque wrench you should pull it in a smooth manner with no jerking. If you fail to follow the requirements of using a torque wrench then you will not get a accurate torque no matter what you have on the end.

Last edited by Tmod; 05-03-2004 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:40 PM

Last photo:

Well, I guess we agree to dissagree. I too was an Aircraft mechanic..C130's in the Air force. I too also am an offroad and diesel mechanic. I cut my teeth on Cat 777's (80 ton haul trucks), Komatso, John Deere, Cat., front end loaders, pans, escavators, Dozers. Weird ain't it?

Last edited by Bad Rat 414; 05-03-2004 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:45 PM

Bad Rat 414

Ok agree to disagree, But you may want to read the little booklet that came with that Snap-On Torque wrench as it states in it that it doesn't make a difference.

Air Force also A-10 and F-15 Test Teams
Douglas Aircraft Co. DC-9 Super 80
Cummins L-10, Detroit 6V92, 6V71,8V71 & Series 50
Old 05-03-2004, 09:52 PM
84 Z28 Convertible

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by 11echo
Go to Home Depot and pick up a "Husky" click type torque wrench. Should be about $50 or less. My wife got me one afew Xmas ago. I just had to R/R the head on my 230/6 cyl truck. I had to use the torque wrench again, I had forgotten how nice it was to use such a "good" tool! ...I remember the days trying to get 120 lb.s on a cap bolt and trying to lean over to read the beam type and still keep the pressure up! *L* What a pain!!! Good Luck! ...Mark
Went to Home Depot and bought that $69.00 Husky Torque Wrench, so I will see how she holds up tomorrow when I torque my main and rod bolts. Went to sears but for a 1/2 they wanted a 99.00.

How could using a deep socket affect torque to using a regular socket.

Last edited by DTL504; 05-03-2004 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:57 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

It doesn't make a difference if you have an extension on a torque wrench. The extension that the book you saw that in was describing an actual 'extension' of the length of the wrench, such as can be used with that Snap-On torque wrench you have.

Figure it like this, a spring flexes like the extension does. Take that spring and set it on a scale, put a hundred pound load on the spring. It'll still read a hundred pounds on the scale (plus the weight of the spring of course). None of the weight magically disappears.

An extension(s) will kill the amount of torque an impact gun will deliver because of all the flex however.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.