Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Transmission - Rearend (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/)
-   -   Need new transmission. Any suggestions? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/need-new-transmission-any-suggestions-224034.html)

codyjohnson414 09-15-2012 12:53 PM

Need new transmission. Any suggestions?

I have a 77 camaro. I just blew up the motor and have to have it replaced. I don't like the automatic transmission that is in it and wanted a 4spd. My stepdad said that muncie is a good way to go what would you suggest. I'm 17 and don't have a ton of money but my car needs to be fixed now so help me if you could. Cody

jessedenny47 09-18-2012 08:33 PM

+4 speed Dad is right

Daddy is right find a good top loaded muncie and check the shaft bearings to make sure that the shafts are tight no play in them and I will bet it will outlast the car, jessedenny47

RWENUTS 09-18-2012 09:28 PM

Daddy might be right but it'll cost you 2 grand by the time you find a good tranny, shifter, bellhousing, flywheel, clutch assembly, pedals and linkage, u-joints, driveshaft mods, tranny mounts etc. etc!!
I don't go lookin' for that super rare never built top loader muncie! No such animal.
Get a motor and a high stall convertor for your T350.

vinniekq2 09-18-2012 10:09 PM

turbo 350 is not that expensive and can be set up to shift very fast. too expensive and time consuming to convert to standard unless you get a donor car cheap.If you insist on getting a standard,dont forget to install a pilot bearing,it cost me a muncie when I was 18. and muncies are not super tough,just tough.

jessedenny47 09-19-2012 01:13 AM

Sorry muncie

I want to say I was mistaken there is no top loading muncie transmission. the one I was thinking of was a borge warner T-10 came with ford from about 1964-1974 although some fords came with one later inyears. I must say try a B&M full comp trans pack with the full comp valve body plate and governers plug and thid will give you almost the same as a four speed.

AutoGear 09-19-2012 06:58 AM

Both the T 10 and Muncie are side shifted.

To the OP: to get a Muncie guaranteed in good shape; is going to cost you over a grand; then you need a clutch/pressureplate, flywheel, clutch linkage, bellhousing, throwout bearing, perhaps a new crossmember. Lets not forget the pedals and any linkage there.

We just built a gearbox for a former Lemans car; new case, iron midplate, italian gears and synchronizers, everything new, not one Muncie OEM part; and it was $2275. I've seen our basic transmissions go used for 1200 bucks. I've also seen our Supercase filled with worn out original gear sell for a grand as well. You really need to know what you are looking at when you buy a manual trans; and I'd really hesitate to buy sight unseen because with your budget, you can't afford to get screwed, even if you have to pay a little more to get exactly what you want.

My advice? Get a TH350 or 700r4 core and rebuild it yourself; and save your money for the Muncie/T10 conversion. Plan on 2 grand unless you get a donor car or someone going to a 6speed.

The key to being a young guy with a hot rod is keep it simple, keep it basic and keep it running.

If you want to build your own Muncie; Start with a new Muncie case and go from there. I can help you find good used parts, or people who rebuild em using good parts

Ruthlessmr 09-23-2012 07:58 PM

build a 350 and if you want mileage get a 700 r 4
the 350 could be set up to work for cheap 400$ rebuilt

Too Many Projects 09-28-2012 06:52 AM

I'm with the majority here and encourage you to keep the current trans and save up for a conversion at a later date. If your current trans isn't in good condition, a rebuild of the TH350 is reasonable enough. I don't advise a 700-R4 as they require much conversion to fit your car and the cable adjustment is CRITICAL or you can burn up a new trans before you get to the end of the block. A 200-R4 is a bolt in swap to an overdrive auto and isn't as fussy as a 700.
Once the new engine is in and the tach gets to 5500 rpm.....shift...;)
Good luck on your project...:)

AutoGear 09-28-2012 08:12 AM

It hasn't been mentioned here in this thread, but I wonder if the OP would be a good candidate for a TH350C? Direct bolt in, cheap to rebuild, a little better economy than the T350 and without the TV cable geometry and associated brackets details of the 700r/200-4.
Thoughts?

Too Many Projects 09-28-2012 08:19 PM

I had to look that one up. I didn't know they existed. That could be a good alternative for many applications that want to drop rpm for mileage. I'm assuming it's still just a direct drive in 3rd but without converter slippage...:confused:

SSedan64 09-30-2012 07:46 PM

Yes, Lockup TC in 3rd, no slippage.
Came in 80-86 vehicles.