need a once in a lifetime floor jack? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2010, 12:37 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Hey all... I did a search of the Norco 71230A and found this at Jackxchange.com...

http://www.jackxchange.com/products/71230A.cfm

$196.35. That doesn't include shipping.

Cheers,
Bruce

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2010, 12:47 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59blane
Hey all... I did a search of the Norco 71230A and found this at Jackxchange.com...

http://www.jackxchange.com/products/71230A.cfm

$196.35. That doesn't include shipping.

Cheers,
Bruce
shipping to WI is $70 and most likely will be the cost to anywhere in the cont. USA.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:19 PM

Yeah shipping will almost always get you. Still about $22 cheaper than from www.automotiveshopequipment.net

Bruce
Old 03-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

I still have my 2 ton Craftsman I bought in the 70's and it still works perfect.

Chet
Old 06-25-2010, 05:09 PM

I've been searching for a quality floor jack as well. I'm finding that the new stuff is mostly Chinese. A ran across this site(garagejournal.com) in my search and it looks like there is a growing demand for older American built floor jacks as it seems they can be rebuilt rather reasonably.

The resident jack guru on the forum is a guy named Hiball.

Here is a posting of people showing their floor jacks.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ght=show+jacks

I haven't made my decision yet on whether to purchase new or rebuild but I'm thinking that finding a good jack to rebuild might be a challenge.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:08 PM

Last photo:

Bought my beast of a Walker in 1967, a factory rebuilt. Has been under thousands of vehicles. Only problem has been a broken wheel (my fault). She's gettin plenty loose in the controlls but has never leaked and will lift anything it's slid under.. I'm just gettin too old to haul it around.

Probably have 5 leaky/broken cheap China jacks around here..
Old 06-30-2010, 10:05 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I guess I've been lucky with my H.F. stuff, I have a 10 year old jack, angle grinder and a muffler cutter? what they called it when I bought it. The jack has sat outside, works great, I know I must have gotten the 1 in a 1000 that everything fit just right.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:07 PM

AC Delco

The last jack I bought was a AC Delco SUV trolley jack. It is perfect for my Chevy S10 Blazer 4x4 with a frame that is 13" high. The jack even has a pic of a black S10 Blazer the box. I suppose that is why I bought it. Anyway, the lift range is 5-1/2" to 21" and is the highest lift I could find in that type home garage jack. That little jack weighs in at 81 lb. It sure is heavy for it's size.

When my 25 year old Snap On professional floor jack finally quit operating, I considered getting an AC Delco 24 lb. aluminum race jack to carry around in The Blazer but it only lifts to 15". I couild not get a tire off at that height.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:38 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I bought my Walker used 37 years ago.....I had to put a new main seal in it this year.......wonder if warranty will cover that $3?.......
Old 07-27-2010, 01:36 AM

I am also trying to find a jack that will last. I've gone into HF twice this week and walked away empty handed both times. They have the best jacks for the general consumer market, which isn't saying much.
What I am gathering is that the types of jacks used in shops are not found in general consumer stores nowadays. You have to go to a specialty hydraulics shop. Today I researched jacks online and also found hyjacks.com along with some other articles. It seems that Norco makes the least expensive jacks that professionals are inclined to trust.
I'm transfixed by the Milwaukee 40, but just like a 12 cylinder Packard, I ain't affording one anytime soon. I'm sold on the Norco 71230A. I would go for the 2 ton 71233 but with my Coupe Deville, 2 and a quarter is likely pushing it already.
I am hoping to pay around $150. Hyjacks is in my area and he wants $242 for the 71232. Which will be $280 after tax and gas to go pick it up. But, as you said, that is the newer model. So maybe he has a 71230A that I can haggle down, being as it is so outdated and functional.

Last edited by Nolram; 07-27-2010 at 01:43 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:03 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

You are hoping to spend $150?..........There in lies the problem......35 years ago, I bought a Walker jack (still using it) for $300........In today's world, that would be $1000-$1200 at least...That was over a weeks pay for me........You want something decent, spend the money
Old 07-27-2010, 01:16 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70c20chevy
Thats funny....they must of been on sale..... Just to follow up.....jack arrived and has been worked hard.....pushing it to it limits, past stroke point etc....and passes with flying colors.....even at 289 delivered its a great investment.....it certainly will be the last jack i ever purchase...its commercial shop grade...just a quality jack.... it is the discontinued model thus not the fast rise.. is not an issue for me..i never lower a jack past the drop needed to next pick anyway....only would add the new model(same jack) is fast rise u might be able to get for close to same price...in either case.....it is a one time purchase that gives one comfort climbing under a near 3 ton beast without jack stands.... release is quite easy and controlled..handle is 2 piece with solid cold rold bar stock for both joint and releae point with lathed knotch for retaining..... stuff that you look for.....again......one of the better pruchases ive made in some time.....for me..was 189.00..and I wouldnt give up checking there web site for future sale
Do you really crawl under a vehicle supported by nothing but a jack ? Hydraulics like anything can fail . Buy a set of jack stands . Please !
Old 07-29-2010, 07:07 AM

With extensive shopping and luck, you can find deals. Either really nice used jacks or just less expensive quality refurbished. Yesterday I went to the Norco factory and picked up a Norco 71230A refurbished by Norco. What price? I am not saying. You wouldn't believe me if I told you.
But it still burns that after months of trolling Craigslist and finding nothing but Craftsman or Big Red or whatever crap you find in chain stores, a 40 dollar 2 ton Hein Werner pops up along with other good stuff, the day after I spent some decent coin:

http://ventura.craigslist.org/tls/1811122619.html

Maybe it's bogus.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:27 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Since I only use a jack occasionally, I've been 'getting by' with a couple of 2T trolley jacks. One of them is a 25 year old no-name Taiwanese and the other, a 3 year old Crapsman. The Crapsman is on its way to the dump Friday morning. It wouldn't even lift the back end my 2500 pound '31 Ford roadster on Tuesday. The Harbor Freight 3T replacement seems to work very nicely for $86.39 ($79.95 + tax reduced from $99.95) for a hobby jack. Would I use it as a professional jack - nope, but it sure lifted the back of that '31 Ford and it will actually lift the front end of my 8500 pound V10 powered F350.

Now will I still be happy in a year or so - we'll see

Dave W

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.