need a once in a lifetime floor jack? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2010, 06:24 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

need a once in a lifetime floor jack?

Ive been looking for a floor jack for a week or two, haven done quite a bit of net surffin.... and reading reviews of countless models.... found a steal of a bargin..
jack: Norco 71230A ..2-1/4 ton Proffesional duty service jack... if your looking for a once in a lifetime jack at a steal of a price..
go to: www.automotiveshopequipment.net $198.00 DELIVERED......

(you will need to look around the home page for the jack link)

28 1/2 lg x 15"w frame ht. 6 1/4 lift height 3-3/4-20" handle 49" saddle 5 1/2" wheel dia.. 2-3/8 caster 3-3/4 front.... spec's speak for themselves..

I was torn between ordering a 2 ton OTC aluminum race jack..it was $260..with less lift height 43lbs.... only down side to the Norco..is the standard 100lbs associated with a quality jack.... Theres so much junk on the market.. for the most bang for the buck..you cannot beat the Norco listed at this price... mines in route.........

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2010, 06:40 AM
Dirk Zixxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70c20chevy
.... Theres so much junk on the market....
I will agree 100% with you on that. It used to be easy to pick out a good one. Good luck with the Norco and tell us how it works.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:06 AM

This is a beast of a jack...no concerns over either seal problems or durability..
this jack was 160$ 9 yrs ago..so finding in at $198... (lowest price anywhere) today....and shipped for free... $79.50 to me..was just a steal..if you want a good look at jack..it is model 71232 ...(same jack 71230a)
go to: www.mile-x.com/norco-71232-floor-jack its a one shot push under the pumkin lift my 70 chevy jack..expect it to outlast me......lol

And for an explitive of really the 3 top jacks on the market..and the pro'c and con's go to : www.hyjacks.com once on the home page click
which jack is:best for me.. its a great description of each jack

Norco's: lifetime warrenty against defects in parts or workmanship

Last edited by 70c20chevy; 02-20-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:31 AM

Last photo:

You want a floor jack to last a lifetime? Get a Walker! Go around to any of the big truck repair shops and see what they have and the vast majority will have Walkers, I have one that is thirty years old and spent it's life outside. No problems with the thing at all, not the first sign of a leak!

Last edited by oldred; 02-20-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:37 AM

I cant speak to the walker's ...other then to say..there not made in US any longer, and dont know there current warrenty... Milwaukee is currently the only US manufacturer I know, still 100% made and assembled in the US and more then twice the price of the Norco..with only a 1 yr warrenty... There are plenty of jacks 15 yrs old that were completely US made..not so any longer...

Comprable Lincoln/ walker no longer makes hydraulic jacks .model w93642

$ 453.00 + shipping 80$ .with 5 yr warranty.....

Last edited by 70c20chevy; 02-20-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:57 AM

Last photo:

I went to sears and got the 3 ton floor jack came with 2 3ton jack stands and a creeper for a 99.99 on sale......
Old 02-20-2010, 11:15 AM

Last photo:

The jack and stands were real goodthe creeper its not bad but iv'e seen better.....I can't believe craftsman would put thier name on that creeper
Old 02-20-2010, 03:32 PM

Well.....in a 1 1/2 yrs when your ready to throw that jack away, you'll know where to look for the thread....instead of 198 i paid delivered.. im sure the price will be closer to 300.... for me... i have mutipule uses for the jack... 70 c20 pick up, a 30 ' travel trailer.. just to put shocks on they want 70$ here in town..(im 100 mile 1 way to a free installation of such) just rotating tires, money I spent will be back in pocket in a years time.. and buying a jack will be in my rear view mirror.....lol......

(ps: craftsmen jacks are not warrenteed)
Old 02-20-2010, 04:53 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70c20chevy
Well.....in a 1 1/2 yrs when your ready to throw that jack away, you'll know where to look for the thread....instead of 198 i paid delivered.. im sure the price will be closer to 300.... for me... i have mutipule uses for the jack... 70 c20 pick up, a 30 ' travel trailer.. just to put shocks on they want 70$ here in town..(im 100 mile 1 way to a free installation of such) just rotating tires, money I spent will be back in pocket in a years time.. and buying a jack will be in my rear view mirror.....lol......

(ps: craftsmen jacks are not warrenteed)
If you looking for American made, I went to the site you linked and found nothing stating that particular jack was Made In USA. Maybe I missed it.
I went to several sites that listed that jack, none stated where it was made. I did find it has been discontinued and replace with with a different model number.

Last edited by 1ownerT; 02-20-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:40 PM

No..I never said it was american made.....its made in China, by an japanesse owned company..and seal are also all japanesse.....
The top 4 jacks being manufactured currently....based on price and value...based on an independent review site..not mentioned.
1st......milwaukee
2nd....norco
3rd...norco..jack i purchased....
4th...milwaukee.. in this class...... 3 ton or less.... and the milwaukees..basically are 600$......the two norco's mentioned... are exceptional value.... and... if you read the link to hyjacks...its detailed quite specifically.just how outstandoing these jacks are...... if i had the 600 to throw at a jack....i would by american, no questions asked....just rather pay my mort. payment.... If your looking for a one time buy....for a floor jack.....that will be working for you 20-30 yrs from now...you cant beat the 198$ price of the jack listed..... the model number changed on the jack I purchased......its the identical jack.....and after reading the hyjack refferal.( a guy who's been in the jack business for 30 yrs..and sold these specific jacks)...it was all i needed to read... there's alot of junk being sold for 400$ and better....for the 198$ delivered..for a jack of this quality.....you will never do better.......

the: 71230a and the 71232.are the identical jack.....only change i think is speed of rise..and im not sure if thats true.... as stated..this is a beast of a jack..100lbs of steel...with ..lifetime warrenty...backed by a company unconditonally.......thats been around for years......with service centers across the country........ im convinced....if your not..... good luck with you search..

PS: in all the reviews of this jack..going back 10 yrs....i could not find 1 unhappy purchaser.........
Old 02-21-2010, 06:31 AM

Interesting. I got a 'professional' series craftsman (read expensive) 3 ton floor jack for my birthday two years ago, and I'm sure it was more than this. It won't jack at all now, it leaks oil. Sears won't cover it at all! Keep us posted on the life expectancy of this jack. I grabbed a $69 aluminum one from harbor freight tools and don't expect it to live more than a year.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:40 PM
38 LaFayette

Last journal entry: Got a little help..
Last photo:

I bought a Jet long frame 3 ton jack back in the 70s for $75. It was new, but some kind of second or something. I just looked and they list for $704. CPO has it for a little over $500. I've never had any problems with it, but always thought it was just a cheap Chinese jack.

Bob
Old 02-27-2010, 08:01 PM
Farm equip wasnt meant to fly

Last photo:

Deadgummit!

I went to order one and its gone up.

You hollered so loud about the deal that they raised the price.

NORCO #71230A Floor jack 2-1/4 ton
Item # NORCO 71230A
Item total: $289.00 USD

Guess I will have to stick with my $99 HF big orange floor jack. It works pretty good, but there aint no finessing the drop. When you try and turn the handle to crack the release "just a little", it will invariably DROP FULLY NOW!

Mike

Last edited by IHRodder; 02-27-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:51 AM

Thats funny....they must of been on sale..... Just to follow up.....jack arrived and has been worked hard.....pushing it to it limits, past stroke point etc....and passes with flying colors.....even at 289 delivered its a great investment.....it certainly will be the last jack i ever purchase...its commercial shop grade...just a quality jack.... it is the discontinued model thus not the fast rise.. is not an issue for me..i never lower a jack past the drop needed to next pick anyway....only would add the new model(same jack) is fast rise u might be able to get for close to same price...in either case.....it is a one time purchase that gives one comfort climbing under a near 3 ton beast without jack stands.... release is quite easy and controlled..handle is 2 piece with solid cold rold bar stock for both joint and releae point with lathed knotch for retaining..... stuff that you look for.....again......one of the better pruchases ive made in some time.....for me..was 189.00..and I wouldnt give up checking there web site for future sale

Last edited by 70c20chevy; 03-08-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:33 AM

Last year I bought a craftsman 2 1/4 aluminum jack which cost around 180.00
and broke it about 9 months later. Called sears store where I bought it and they said it had a 1 year warranty but I needed the receipt. Could not find receipt went in store and the girl @ counter was able to look up on computer by the month and shesaid no problem and they gave me a new one!

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.