in need of an opinion - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2005, 06:31 PM

Last journal entry: Engine Compartment
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Really when it comes down to it, more than likely EVERYTHING will have to be fabricated. And imo it wouldn't grab much attention at a car show, because for me being a ford man I'd rather see a 302 in there than a 4 cyl dodge motor. Just my opinion. But good luck if you really do decide to go for it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2005, 06:36 PM
*special* member

Last photo:

sump location.

fords use kind of a *double sump* if you will. where as on a chevy i only has one sump. it is on the bottom of the engine. not sure what you are really asking, does this answer it? if not can you be more specific?

hello? lonestar? you there?
Old 02-15-2005, 06:38 PM
"May the Schwartz be with you"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: Finally getting going...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally posted by Holly-Roller
sump location.

fords use kind of a *double sump* if you will. where as on a chevy i only has one sump. it is on the bottom of the engine. not sure what you are really asking, does this answer it? if not can you be more specific?
Like I said before, never really worked on Fords. I thought that the Ford v8's used a front sump pan and I know the chevy's use a rear sump. Since the oil pump and pickup is in the rear of a chevy, is it possible to relocate to clear the frame member on a Ford? I don't know but I am sure someone does.

In my opinion, you would be a lot better off selling the sbc and using a Ford 302.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:48 PM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

Well this whole thread has gotten kind of of kilter so I am going out on a bit of a limb here. I could drive a car or pickup anywhere by the time I was 8, and all stick shifts too. I also started burning rod about the same age. I built my first jalopy when I was 15 with no help from any adults. My dad was a cowboy and not very mechanical. So I know that kids can do stuff. But I also listened alot and talked little. You don't learn from trying to impress everyone what you have done and running your jaw, you learn from listening. Chevy engines in Fords annoy a lot of people so don't be surprised when they express that. And another thing, when I was 15 you didn't badmouth adults, no matter what they said or how stupid it sounded. It's called respect for your elders, something that hiding behind a keyboard seems to have nulified. We all appreciate kids that are interested in the automotive hobby or livlihood and most of us have patience with the questions they ask but every once in a while I think some of you need reminded you are still kids, even if you put a 454 in a MG or whatever. Quit trying to prove you are worldly because at 15 there is just no way that you will convince any old timers you are. And that doesn't mean that you deserve any less respect than any other human, but if you need corrected then you get it sometimes. That's what adults do to kids.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:53 PM

Last photo:

Well said willowbilly3, now can we get back on topic? i personally like trying to help educate the younger crowd and I do not want them thinking that we are a bunch of jerks.

When they start acting arrogant, well that's another issue.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:57 PM
*special* member

Last photo:

listen, i realize that i am only a kid, thats why i have to prove as much of myself as i can, otherwise, no one would take me seriously. it is much harder to get respect from elders than it is for you to get respect from kids. i may not sound like it, but i do semi-respect you. just simply because of your age. the reason i put *semi* in there is because you put in any age that you wanted and know one would say anything. however, i do believe your age because you seem to know what you are talking about. i don't think you quite remember exactly how hard it is to prove your self as a kid in a world of *big dogs* i use that term widely.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:01 PM

Last journal entry: Engine Compartment
Last photo:

You don't have to be out to prove anything. Look at my gallery and the pictures of my 69 Ford. I'm not worried if I impress you or anyone else with it, I enjoy wrenching on it and am in school right now to become a professional. I try to help out where I can in the tech forums, and should I post something thats not correct one of the older guys corrects me and I consider it a lesson learned for future reference. I have alot of respect for Willowbilly he's helped me out on it and has even sent me window handles for free. The key is just learning and having fun.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:04 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Holly-Roller
listen, i realize that i am only a kid, thats why i have to prove as much of myself as i can, otherwise, no one would take me seriously. it is much harder to get respect from elders than it is for you to get respect from kids. i may not sound like it, but i do semi-respect you. just simply because of your age. the reason i put *semi* in there is because you put in any age that you wanted and know one would say anything. however, i do believe your age because you seem to know what you are talking about. i don't think you quite remember exactly how hard it is to prove your self as a kid in a world of *big dogs* i use that term widely.
I think he was just doing a bit of venting.

Get back to the topic. The best way to earn respect is to stay focused on the task at hand.

What is the deal with the sump?
Old 02-15-2005, 07:10 PM
*special* member

Last photo:

i dont know yet, its dark here and we havent even had time to pull the engine. ill take a look tomarow and find out what has to happen. i am getting a new retro-fit k-member from ford performance to fit my exact year mustang, and still hold the engine.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:12 PM

I dont know if your set yet on going with the 350, if your not why dont you go with a 351w, they sell most of the stuff necessary to put one in a fox body such as the special headers etc. You would have the same displacement (actually 1 more cu in lol) and it would be keeping it ford. Just another idea...
Old 02-15-2005, 07:14 PM
*special* member

Last photo:

i live the idea of the 351, but i already have the 350 in the driveway, and as i posted before, i dont want to keep it ford, im not really a ford guy. but thanks for the suggestion
Old 02-15-2005, 07:17 PM

Not trying to bash you or anything but how did you end up buying the mustang? Just wondering...
Old 02-15-2005, 07:19 PM
*special* member

Last photo:

a buddy of mine gave me a great deal on it. it is in great shape, no rust, dings, dints, new wheels and tires, and a great runner. the only problem was the windsheild needs replaced. i got it for 300$ no taxes no nothing.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:23 PM

Sounds like a good deal, wish I had gotten mine that cheap . Have you thought about the extra work its going to take to convert it over to a carb, going with a FI enigne would be much easier. Plus I see your in CA dont you guys have some pretty strict emissions regulations out there, thats another problem you might face. Just trying to help you out...
Old 02-15-2005, 07:28 PM
*special* member

Last photo:

yes emissions suck badly out here, however, my dad is in the army and we own a house in Ohio, so they are going to let me register my car out there , there emissions are very lenient. and converting it to a carb wouldn't be THAT big of deal. few changes, fuel pump ext. not that tough.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.