in need of an opinion - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2005, 01:37 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Roller
listen, i realize that i am only a kid, thats why i have to prove as much of myself as i can, otherwise, no one would take me seriously. it is much harder to get respect from elders than it is for you to get respect from kids.
A bit off topic, but you dont have to prove anything. I'm only 16, have asked some of the dumbest question there are (including why a flathead engine only has 3 exhaust ports ), I have never owned a car and drive a freakin' bike to school. I have never driven in a hot rod and only been to a very small number of car shows (2 or 3). I like to believe that people still take me seriously, even though I didnt prove them nothing. And around here I've noticed that all ages are respected equally. BUT you only get as much respect from others as you show them.
From a teenager on a budget to another, I wish you the best of luck with your projects and hope you can make a killer ride out of your car. You dont have to prove anything to anybody, just stay focused and mature about your questions here on the board.
Keep us posted!

Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2005, 08:33 PM
*special* member

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

well, i try to keep you guys posted on hr, and there has been another change of plans for the mustang. i am now going to drop a 400sbc in it.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:28 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:

This thread is titled "in need of an opinion" so here is mine. I think that this entire thread is BS. I have a Mustang, I have $2000, I have and will put a Chevy 350 in it, I have and will put a SRT-4 in it, I have a 454 and might put it in, no wait I have a 400 chev to put in. Everything is free or so cheep it might as well be.
I now understand the saying "California Dreamin"
Build it, then show it off.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:41 PM
*special* member

Last photo:

uh,huh

anyways...
Old 03-06-2005, 07:43 PM
*special* member

Last photo:

i have built the 454.... its going in a chevell. i never said it might go in the mustang, i was never going to put it in. i HAD a 350, but i traded my chevell for another chevell and it came with the 400 sbc, so that what im puttin in the mustang.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:16 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:

uh,huh
anyways...

i might be goin for a drop in of this big monster....
Old 03-08-2005, 04:39 PM

Last photo:

Nightfire,I have a lot of respect for you for you being honest.If there is any question I can help you with I will be glad to help.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:58 PM
brains

Last photo:

I have built some strange cars in my days so I know a little about making modifications. A blown 351w datsun, my current project a 408stroker suzuki samurai. Here are some of the problems your going to have with what you want to do.

1st is resale value. In my case I can justify what I did because I started with sh$t boxes that were worthless. You have a very nice car as is! What a cool car to start with at your age. Ok so you dont car about resale...but most people dont want a Ford with a chevy engine or a Chevy with a ford engine. Anyhow if your as stubborn as I was at that age, you dont care.

2nd, I dont care what other make engine you get for FREE, it always costs more to modify it to work, then it will to find a 302 that can bolt in. Why? Here are a few reasons. Custom Headers, custom exhaust, motor mounts, weight differences that effect suspension springs, How are you going to hook up your speedometer? What about all the electronic gauges? All new gauges? or are you going to use ford sensors in the chevy engine? Custom driveshaft length, what about the output shaft size, custom transmission mount. Custom transmission cooler lines, better get a new radiator too while your at it since chevy/ Ford cooling lines are different in the radiator. With the Ford 302 being one of the smallest of the (Big 3) V8's how are you going to clear the bellhousing area with a 350Hyd trnasmission since even a C6 trans doesnt fit without some body mods.

I'm not saying dont do it, but these are problems I have had, and your going to have. A more simple approach thats still a good learning experience is to drop in a 302 or a 351w. Not only is it cheaper but your not spending months on designing your own custom parts. You know with my current project, I thought it would be fun, and it is to a point, but I still have some things that I have had to re-design 2,3,4 times before I got it right. In your case it may be more fun to have access to shelf parts rather than having to make them.

As far as calling a motor a motor or an engine, I agree with who ever said the english language changes. personaly I still ask for motor mounts, and never heard someone say engine mounts. Ask your father if there was a term in the 60's that meant happy, you sure cant use that word now days.

Does GM need to change its name to GE?

Last edited by brainsboy; 03-09-2005 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:03 PM
Low on turn-signal fluid.

Last photo:

My opinion, trade or sell one of the engines you have and get a nice 302 to drop in there, some 3.73's in the back, and some minor bolt ons and that car will probably get squirly enough to scare you a couple times, especially if this is your first vehicle.

Brainsboy, ever take that blown datsun to the track? I'm curious as to what it runs.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:18 PM
brains

Last photo:

It ran 10.70's in its streetable condition and that was with a crappy stall converter and all the way through the exhaust. I was doing 10.70's with like a 1.65 60 foot time, had I had a good stall I'm sure I would of been in the 10.50's.
You know I took the car out to whats called the skyway bridge here in Florida, all the street racers hangout there. Some guy offered me cash on the spot. I thought he was joking but he pulled out a wade of cash, im talking 3-4 inch's thick. He apparently buys hotrods and sends them over to Kuwait, where he gets 3 times the money. This is where I got the idea for a Suzuki samurai, he had one, now I think his had a 4cly, claimed it ran 9's, but dang did it looked sweet. The back said "little hummer"... As soon as I saw it, I knew I wanted one but with a V8. I was so tired of my datsun being a sweat box inside, a jeep would be perfect. Didnt really like the idea of my car going to sand land but I saw that money$$$. It was my first real complete build up of a car, I made alot of mistakes, and to be honest it was gonna kill me with how I set things up, it was way too much power for that body. Plus I really wanted to start a new project and take things to new level, so I started this suzuki samurai with a 408. My goals are to just get into the 9's. Camero man is lending me a new carb/fuel pump so if it works out I hope to goto the drag strip and post some of my times here. I know Im not into the 9's yet but hoping for something in the tens. If they ever fix it so I can post photos, I will show you my photos, I know alot of you have helped with all my problems building this car. What really has helped is the fact that I take your advice here. Thanks guys

Last edited by brainsboy; 03-09-2005 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:03 PM
*special* member

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainsboy
I have built some strange cars in my days so I know a little about making modifications. A blown 351w datsun, my current project a 408stroker suzuki samurai. Here are some of the problems your going to have with what you want to do.

1st is resale value. In my case I can justify what I did because I started with sh$t boxes that were worthless. You have a very nice car as is! What a cool car to start with at your age. Ok so you dont car about resale...but most people dont want a Ford with a chevy engine or a Chevy with a ford engine. Anyhow if your as stubborn as I was at that age, you dont care.

2nd, I dont care what other make engine you get for FREE, it always costs more to modify it to work, then it will to find a 302 that can bolt in. Why? Here are a few reasons. Custom Headers, custom exhaust, motor mounts, weight differences that effect suspension springs, How are you going to hook up your speedometer? What about all the electronic gauges? All new gauges? or are you going to use ford sensors in the chevy engine? Custom driveshaft length, what about the output shaft size, custom transmission mount. Custom transmission cooler lines, better get a new radiator too while your at it since chevy/ Ford cooling lines are different in the radiator. With the Ford 302 being one of the smallest of the (Big 3) V8's how are you going to clear the bellhousing area with a 350Hyd trnasmission since even a C6 trans doesnt fit without some body mods.

I'm not saying dont do it, but these are problems I have had, and your going to have. A more simple approach thats still a good learning experience is to drop in a 302 or a 351w. Not only is it cheaper but your not spending months on designing your own custom parts. You know with my current project, I thought it would be fun, and it is to a point, but I still have some things that I have had to re-design 2,3,4 times before I got it right. In your case it may be more fun to have access to shelf parts rather than having to make them.

As far as calling a motor a motor or an engine, I agree with who ever said the english language changes. personaly I still ask for motor mounts, and never heard someone say engine mounts. Ask your father if there was a term in the 60's that meant happy, you sure cant use that word now days.

Does GM need to change its name to GE?

alright,the first issue, resale value. i dont care if it is a chevy engine in a ford car(not baing stuborn) any mustang with a v8 is goin to sell for alot more than the same mustang with a 4 that runs like crap. second the custom drive shafts will not be a problem, i have a guy who can do this for me. and as far as the 350 tranny goes, i have done some research and every one says all you have to do is move the tranny mount back a bit. and on this car, i want to be making custome parts, i have done the whole "factory with factory do the easy thing" before, and on this one, i want it to be unique and custome by me.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:32 PM

Last photo:

Holly_Roller, Have you tried to do a search for a kit?It seems like someone was telling me once that there was a kit for the older ones to install a sbc.I don,t know about the later models.If you could find the company they may be able to give you some advice.
Again I don,t know for a fact about a kit but it could save you some time.
Old 03-13-2005, 12:31 AM
*special* member

Last photo:

i am buying a new retrfit k-member...thats all the kit i will be needing
Old 03-13-2005, 07:50 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

do you have a wrecked SRT-4 at your house?

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.