Hot Rod Forum banner

Need opinion...700R4 or T-400

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  E.Furgal 
#1 ·
I have a 1987 V10, 4" lift, 33", NP208, tires, i use this truck for everything, daily driver, towing, hunting, EVERYTHING. I am on my second 700R4 and its about to go out as well. I need so honest opinions and why, but i cannot decide if i want to rebuild my 700R4 again but with a Monster transmission rebuild kit, or go with a TH400. Some people even said to put in the 350 turbo...but i don't know everybody has a different opinion. What is yalls take on it...
thanks a bunch. :smash:

#6 ·
700r4

Ya it is a weaker trans than a T400 but tell Monster trans that or B/M or TCI a whole different story if you buy a properly built trans, like saying a 10 bolt is no good, sure compared to a 12 Bolt, all depends on the use of it. Drive hard then pay for quality parts or it won't last.:smash:

#8 ·
you are on your 3rd... you are either hard on the trans or the builder sucks.. sorry for being blunt..
you didn't list what type miles you got out of each rebuild.. ??

I'd maybe step up to a 4l80e.. basicly a th400 with a o/d
or install a th400 if your milage per gallon isn't that big of a deal..
might try not use'n o/d when tow/pull/loaded up.. o/d is the weak point in those..
I'm asumming (dangerous I know) that you have a cooler.. and the trans death is from other things than lack of servicing..

good luck... many trucks with tons of miles on those 7004r's..
but upkeep and t.v. cable adjustment have to be correct and followed..

maybe go to the 4l60e and get the v.t. cable gone..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.