Need Photoshop Instructions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hot Rod Art
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2005, 06:18 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Need Photoshop Instructions

So I finally got Photshop 6 for free and I know how to change a color and all of that, but for the life of me I cant figure out how to drop a car. In Microsoft Paint I'd usually cut the wheels out and move 'em up. But in photoshop I circle the wheels with the lassoo tool but can move them anywhere? How to you crop something and move it? Or whats the best way to drop a car in photoshop? THanks,

Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2005, 01:01 AM
Left Nut, Right Nut....Squish!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

what i do is....
Horizontally i cut from very very very left side of pic then follow and under the body at the wheelwells all the way to the right and i get the entire sky and everything........then edit..cut, paste and use the move + lookin thing to drop the whole top half of pic down over the wheels......now if you need to touch up around the wheels, there is a history pen its a pen icon with an arrow lookin like its going back or something like that....ya...use that and clean up the wheels....save it as whatevername.jpg..close it after save....then reopen it, cut out the good part of the pic whole thing (the top will be white since it has been dropped).....then file/new/ok....paste it there. now it should be a normal looking drop. Yikes i sure know how to confuse someone....
Check out pic.

suprisingly after clamping my coils this photoshop has the same stance as my car has now....back a littler higher tho but front is right on..im blabbering
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CutThatPart.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	5325  
Old 06-07-2005, 11:29 AM
I wanted an egg-salad sandwich

Last photo:

elkys method is good too, because it keeps the background clean. the best thing to do is to start with a base layer. then copy/paste the body to a new layer. you can positon the body much more without affecting the background. also when you change colors you can make another copy of the body and desaturate it, then place a layer of color on top....

good tutorial site
check this link out, its not quite my style, but the techniques are all very good.
also EXPERIMENT!! use high quality photos and work BIG (you can always reduce when your done) when I try out new ideas, I almost always goto the new car sites becaus they usually have good side shots or 3/4 views and those work best for chopping. PM if you need more details.
Good Luck Mike lets us see some of the new stuff soon!! some one has to keep the virtual kustomz thread ALIVE!!!

Oh yeah heres my stuff

Last edited by crazygutgut; 06-07-2005 at 11:31 AM. Reason: gotta plug my stuff!
Old 06-07-2005, 11:42 AM
Young & Idealistic

Last photo:

Thanks crazy for that link. I've done the color changing with the desaturation method first and layer via copy. Its just that getting the right color is hard cause all you can do is move the nob up and down on the 3 different color options, to brighten or darken. You gotta know exactly what colors mix to give you what I also tried "filling" in a new color with about 70% effectiveness so you still keep the shadows on the car. Doesnt work that great either.
I'll try you guys' methods. I'm using this pic (my bros car) to experiment.

Mike
Old 06-07-2005, 12:31 PM

Last photo:

I dont use the color sliders I actually use the "swatches" alot of common colors already there. you find one you like, you can then swicth to the color sliders and lighten it up.

try this.

copy the part you want colored only to a new layer,
What I do is copy the whole car, then remove, tires, windows, chrome, usually I do this by hand with a smal eraser, basically anything that doesnt get color. you can "use" all the erased stuff from the layer below.

desaturate this layer. If you go into adjustments, sometimes (especially on a darker car) it helps to use brighten and contrast on the desaturated layer.

now copy the desaturated layer, to another layer above. now select just the latest copy, and do a color fill. for cool effects you can use an airbrush or the a gradient fill. dependingon if you want a flat or metallic look. change that layers prpoerties to "overlay" or "harldlight" you can also change this by moving the transparency slider...

Okay Recess time!!
Old 06-07-2005, 11:18 PM

Last photo:

here a few samples. i'll send the .PSD if you like.

I did a "flat black" a rainbow using a gradient, and the red white and blue was airbrush by hand. yeah they're a bit sloppy, but hope fully you get the idea..
Old 06-08-2005, 07:55 AM
Young & Idealistic

Last photo:

WOW, thanks crazy for your help here and the PM. I havent had much time yesterday to fool around with it but I will tonight in the evening.

Thanks a lot,

Mike
Old 06-08-2005, 04:53 PM

Last photo:

photoshop

Layers usually work for me. Make a copy layer of the photo, and use the polygonal lasso tool to select the things that you want to change. (Move-click around the image.) Do the opposite on the other layer. It may be easier if you turn off the other layers while you work on one.
check out this
orthis
they have some cool info as well as good tutorials that will have you up and running in no time. Also, you can go to adobe's web site and sign up for Studio exchange. (You don't need serial numbers to join.) They have some really great tutorials and info that may help. Oh yeah, it's free.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:01 PM

Last photo:

paint shop 8

Well you might know, everyone uses photo shop and I go out an buy paint shop, never will figure it out, another 80 bucks down the toilet
Old 12-11-2005, 10:03 PM

Last photo:

fat freddy of maine

Hey wingnut I got me some PHOTOslop too.
what i do when i'm messin with pics is this.
I use the mask tool that is just a silly line.
then i draw around the part i want to move.
then I open up a NEW page. and any part i want to move around i COPY and PASTE on that page. SO iffin ya was gonna chop a rod for isntance ,
you mask around all the parts you want and copy them to the new page , then you can move them around as pieces. ALSO you don't mess up your original pic. when yer putter asks you iof you want to save changes on the original pic , you hit NO.
but on your NEW page you can hit yes.
if it tells you that OBJECTS WILL be MERGED with background then don't save 'till yer done........ or put different sessions on other new pages.. later.FAT

Recent Hot Rod Art posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.