Need A Price Quote - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2007, 09:05 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Need A Price Quote

Hey guys. i am looking into selling my nova and getting something alittle older. My nova is a 1974 and has a great body. i have put new quarters on and the rear inner quarter. i have also put brand new stock fenders and nice inner fenders. I haveput new leaf springs and shocks on the car. Also has a brand new gas tank. it is a running car and only needs to be cleaned up under the hood and if u dont like the stock interior that may need to get redone. it runs and drives good put dont forget it is only stock. it has a v8 2 brl with a 3 speed and a 10 bolt rear end (not possi traction). If anyone knows how much this is worth please let me know. I was hoping aroung $3500-$4500. Is this too much.

Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2007, 10:11 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Go here and finish putting in the info on your car......
http://www.nadaguides.com/default.as...35&y=1974&da=1
Old 02-15-2007, 10:28 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

It is worth only what the market will bare in your area, AND what someone is willing to pay..and what your willing to part with it for..

In my area, (San Francisco) a pre smog Nova in fair to good shape can bring as much as $5000 to $7000 ... but then again we have tough smog laws , and no rust here..and a lot of folk that are willing to spend more than it is worth, just to say "I have one of those"...and it don't need smog".

In a bidding environment, you may reserve it at $2000, and actually get $7000 if you have a pair of bullheaded bidders..but, then again..the deal isn't done until the cashier's check clears the bank either..

Doc
Old 02-16-2007, 07:10 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

If you put it on e-bay you might get a good response. It doesn't matter if you put a $2K or $5K reserve on it -- you just get to chose whether you want to sell or not if it doesn't meet reserve.

A lot of people won't bid on reserve auctions since there's no way to know if they're wasting their time or not. You might want to put your lowest acceptable price as the reserve. When it gets to "acceptable price" levels and the "met reserve" flag comes on, bidding sometimes heats up, as the car is guaranteed to sell once reserve is met.

I suggest you state something like "I'm looking for the best offer on this car, but put a reserve higher than I expect to sell at so that I don't have to sell should the bid not reach what I consider a reasonable offer. Don't ask for lowest price -- bid what you're willing to pay and I'll consider it." Then start the bidding at say $1000. DO NOT start the bid at the lowest price you'd sell for, and don't reply to people asking price anyway. Those are trolls and scam artists. Anyone seriously interested will read your description and bid. It doesn't hurt to state your reserve price if it's reasonable for the car (close to what similar ones have sold for on e-bay), and that you'll seriously consider close bids if it doesn't meet reserve.

Starting the bid to high (say at your lowest acceptable selling price) usually means few bids. People are looking for a bargain, or at least the chance at one. then they get caught up in the bidding, or decide that the object is more desireable/valuable than they originally thought once others start bidding on it.

There are lots of strategies for auctions on e-bay. Some work, some don't. The only thing I know for sure is that low bid/high shipping costs are a big turn-off for most, and starting high bids on cars that aren't worth much more than that starting price (and sometimes not that much!) won't get many bids. Getting a lot of bidding action will usually garner the higher price. And another thing you have no control over -- a object located in a highly populated area will generate a lot more bidding than one located out in the sticks. If you're an hour or two from a populated area and are willing to transport the car to that area in order to sell as part of the sell price, list it as being in the bigger city. That will help a lot! It's exagerrating a little, but if someone asks the question tell them the truth -- you listed it as from there as you're willing to transport to that area for free, and figured there would be more buyers. I don;'t think you're breaking any e-bay rules, and the car WILL be in that area for the buyer to pick up.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.