Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Need this question answered!!
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 03:53 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by red dragon View Post
Hey guys i have a 350 turbo transmission and 2800-3200 stall in my car with a 4:11 gear behind it. if i installl a 4 or 5 speed manual will it lower my rpms and allow me to have better top end speed? if so what trannys should i look to be getting for a decent price that will hold up to hot rodding a 400 hp small block? any feed back would be nice
A T5 or a T56; the T5 is a 5 speed with an OD 5th, nice tranny but 400 horses, actually the mid range torque that goes with that power, will be on the upper limit of this tranny. The T56 has OD ratios in 5th and 6th, the tranny is a true heavy duty unit that will easily handle a 400 horse small block.

Having an overdrive generally doesn't add any top end, most engine's (contrary to "Car and Driver" and "Road and Track" calculated top speed based on the enigne's red line times the top gear ratio) cannot pull those RPMs in an overdrive ratio and often can't pull redline in 1 to 1. So in and of itself OD will reduce cruise RPMs but won't necessarily add top end road speed.

Bogie