Hot Rod Forum banner

Need a radio guy to answer my question

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  elliott 
#1 ·
What is the part called that connects the rotary dial to the slide rule tuner on an old car radio? Any idea where to find these parts? The radio I am working on is from 1982 but I would think the same rules apply as to older cars..I was thinking a band of some type that wraps around the rotary knob and connects to the slide rule indicator or tuner and pulls left to right..I need the correct term for the part so I can start searching.....
Thanks guys!

#2 ·
On the older radio's is was simple cotton string,on some of the newer ones had monofilment or simple rubber bands. In the past I have successively used plain ole thin rubber bands to fix cassette deck drives. Try Goggling for Antique Radio Parts.That is about the only place I know of to tell you to look.
Good Luck!
Kenny
P.S. If you happen to find a source post it back here so that others who may be looking for parts can use it.

#4 ·
ramzoom said:
What is the part called that connects the rotary dial to the slide rule tuner on an old car radio?
I believe the proper name for that part is a 'dial cord'.

I do not believe there are any companies supplying parts for radios of that vintage.

If you need one, you'll have to do like jaguarxk120 said...make a new one out of heavy braided dacron fishing line.

Like this stuff:
(click for link)

#12 ·
Joe G said:
AM/FM/CB Very cool. :thumbup:

I'd like to find an original Delco version for my friend's '81 Oldsmobile. Service manual says they were a factory option.
This one isn't exactly correct for my '75 Gremlin, no one but a purist is going to know though. These came in the later cars like Spirits, however without that bezel they will go right into an older dash and look factory. Even the grain of the plastic of the bracket that holds the mic plug matches the grain of my dash.

I think I'll leave it in STD-BY on channel 19, maybe I'll hear a trucker say "Holy ****, was that a Gremlin that just went by!?"

I got this from a fellow Gremlin owner for a great price, about what I would have given for a working AM/FM and this is a lot more rare.

Just need to get some speakers before I install it. Looking for a good deal on one of those 4x10 dual speaker deals for the dash location.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.