Hot Rod Forum banner

Need really wide tires and rims, but nothing is availeable how it looks ***help***

8K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  1ownerT 
#1 ·
Seems like for us Pro-Tourers it is a pain in the *** when it comes to rims and the gum that wraps them.

I am just about to build a 68 Impala Pro-Touring Car on a Jake´s Rod Shop full perimeter subframe with C6-IFS and 9"rearend.

Du to the turbocharged 565 stroker I plan to build for that car, I really need some tires to hook.
I want to go with the widest possible on 20´s or 22´s.

At the same time we build my friends Pro-Touring-Sedanette and for him we need 22´s in any case, even bigger in the rear.

For the rims:

Unless you are to spend 4-5k for rims alone you get nothing that fits.

I was looking to coys altough most of there rims are not that beautiful but the owner of Coys told me that that rims are not in intendet to put real torque and horses on, anyways.

I would need rims that are availeable in 20x10 for the front and 20 / 22x14 or slightly bigger.

The style should be Vintage like Torq Thrust II´s, Hopsters and so on

Plus, thy need to be able to handle real Hot Rod-Performance, we all do not build 220HP Cars

For the tires:

Most of the interesting tires are to small like the MT ET Drag and so on.
335 is the widest and, if I remeber right, only on 18, on 20 it is 305 or 315.

I love the Pirelli P Zero with its 405mm but in that case, only in 24, that drives me crazy.

I saw that there are tires with numbers like 29x18R20LT that looks interesting but if I cannot read the size how can I order, I do not even now what rims they need.

I added some pics for you to know what I am after, but I dont know the sizes, might be that they are only 18´s.

Oh-not to forget, the tires side wall should not be too high or the wheel would be too big and would look ugly at the same time.

The tires on the black Buick in the attachments are quite ok but sidewall could also be 10-20 percent less.

Ps: I love the profile of the ET street radials

Greatful for any hint

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Before you complete the engine, or even build the engine, you need to decide on the whole package, and intent of the car.

Drag racing? Pro touring? Daily driver?

Wheel companies, like american racing, will put the offset for the rims in a variety of positions.

Pure Drag racing suspension, is not going to go around corners well.
Pro touring suspension will go around corners well, but might not be ideal for extended street use (hard noisy bushings, firm teeth jarring ride)

Are you going for a 'look' or do you want to drive the car? If it's low, you are going to hit speed bumps or driveway ramps. Air bag it, add 3-4K$ to the price of your suspension.

If you have 500+ horsepower, and your tires hook, then you are going to need to be prepared to break parts.

Anyway in a nutshell, most guys building cars here, would be decided on tires wheels and suspension (and car purpose) long before starting the build.

Anyone can slap a high horsepower motor into a car. Not everyone can make the car have a great stance.

#6 ·
How I said, weekend driven Pro-Touring Car.

It will have a Jake´s Rod shop subframe with shockwaves-airbags, 9" locked rear, swaybars, Bear or Wilwood-Setup and so on. So that car will drive very well.

But what about the wheels now, I want the widest possible with not too much side wall height.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.