Need rear end advice - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2005, 10:25 AM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Need rear end advice

Hello
I recently adquired a 1919 model t truck body with no frame, fenders or bed. Plans for it are mount it on a homebuilt 2x3 frame with a shortened model A bed and a '40 Ford front axel up front (reason why I'm using it is cause it was free). It'll be powered by a mostly stock 267 SBC. Here's my question, which rear-end should I use? The advice I got so far it either a Ford 8 inch or a Chevy 10 bolt rear. Which one would you think is better? Performance is secondary as price is first. It'll be a fairly light car so the 267 with a (hopefully) saginaw manual should move it along nicely. I'be been told a Ford 9 inch is overkill. Also are these rear-ends gonna stick out a lot on sides? Which one would fit best? And my last question, how do I identify them? It's a tight budget car so I'll go to the junkyard to get a cheap rear-end, so I'll need to know how to identify them.

Thanks,

Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2005, 11:50 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

The Ford 9" would be overkill. If I were you I'd look for a rear end out of a V8 Falcon or Maverick. If you would rather have a GM rear (and one that might fit a little better) look for one out of a V8 Monza. That one should be narrow enough to fit nicely.

Some people might also suggest a rear end from an S-10 as well.

Good luck.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:12 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last photo:

I'll keep my eye out for one of those, thanks Centerline.
Does anyone know the desired width you want for a model T? It'll have a model A bed if that helps.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 05-31-2005, 06:46 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Frame rails

Mike,
Use a 2x4 frame rail..the extra stiffness will pay off for you if you ever get the money together for a hot motor..
Try looking for the rear from an S-10 4wd..I think those are a bit stronger if you can find them..

Maybe Speedway has the dimension for what they use in their kits for the rear..good to check any way..and you can measure the width of your front end hub to hub and have that in mind so the front and rear are close to one another and it won't look funny with a narrow front and wide rear..

Just a hint..

OMT
Old 05-31-2005, 07:05 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I agree with OneMoreTime on the 2x4 frame rails, you could look up what the stock width is and look on google for axle widths they have them on there for ford 9" and 8" I know. I would go with a 8" or 9" you can find them any where and parts are cheap. Then later on you could up the engine and be fine too. 8" you can get a socket wrench on the bottom 3rd member bolts 9" you cant.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:57 AM
Young & Idealistic

Last photo:

Thanks for all the help, I just realized I posted this question in the wrong forum.
So I guess I'll start looking for an S10 rear-end or a Ford 8 inch then. I dont have the 40 Ford front axles yet but I've already taken a look at them. They still have the wishbones on them but no spindles or hubs.
I'll be running coilovers so I guess I'll have to make custom brackets to the rear?
I dont really wanna go with the Ford 9 inch, just because its overdone, and this car I want it to be a bit different. Also the 9 inch will cost me more than the Chevy S10 will.

Mike
Old 06-01-2005, 02:05 PM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

2wd s10 rear ends are about 54.38" wide wms-wms (wheel mating surface). The 4x4 axles are 4" wider (2" each side). In the late 80's early 90's (don't remember exactly which year) they upgraded the axle shafts from 26-spline to 28-spline. If you get one out of a 98-up blazer it will come with disc brakes.

Another option is a ford 8.8" axle from a ranger or explorer. I think this would be a good choice if you want to use the 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern. The explorer axle is stronger then the ranger (31-spline) but it is still lighter then a 9" and also uses less power to turn it. They are about 2" wider then an s10 axle and 96-up explorers come with disc brakes.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:05 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last photo:

Thanks a lot. Front will get drums, it's a 40 ford axel so I'm hoping to find some finned buick brakes for it (keeping my fingers crossed), so I dont know if I want discs in the back. I'll go to the junkyard soon and I'll revive this thread then if I have anymore questions.

Thanks for all the help!

Mike

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.