Need Rearend Help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-26-2006, 10:05 AM
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: IL
Posts: 59
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need Rearend Help

My trans guy tells me I need to be running a 373 or a 410 gear with the setup I plan on running. (700r4 no lockup, 33x21.5 rear tires ,air ride tech 4 link with bags,zz4 crate motor). Rearend is what came stock in the truck (88 c1500 chevy) 273 gear according to the glove box tag.

Talked to a rearend specialist about putting 410 gears in my housing and was told everything needed to be changed inside .The est for that was $1200. If thats the norm thats fine I can bite the bullet and have him do it but I just wanted to know if I have any other options, like getting a used rearend with 410 gears .are they readily available? I would rather keep my old housing for fittment reasons (everything has been mocked up with this housing) tire fittment is a concern.

I know little to nothing about rearends so I hope my questions are making sense.

Any other ideas lets hear em

Thanks Dave

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-26-2006, 10:32 AM
Not A T 25's Avatar
Takes Guts To Cut One Up
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: South Central Illinois
Age: 58
Posts: 354
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDEIGHT
My trans guy tells me I need to be running a 373 or a 410 gear with the setup I plan on running. (700r4 no lockup, 33x21.5 rear tires ,air ride tech 4 link with bags,zz4 crate motor). Rearend is what came stock in the truck (88 c1500 chevy) 273 gear according to the glove box tag.

Talked to a rearend specialist about putting 410 gears in my housing and was told everything needed to be changed inside .The est for that was $1200. If thats the norm thats fine I can bite the bullet and have him do it but I just wanted to know if I have any other options, like getting a used rearend with 410 gears .are they readily available? I would rather keep my old housing for fittment reasons (everything has been mocked up with this housing) tire fittment is a concern.

I know little to nothing about rearends so I hope my questions are making sense.

Any other ideas lets hear em

Thanks Dave
What rearend do you have in the car now 10 bolt 12 bolt front loader? A different rearend might be the way to go depending on your pocket book. I would think changing the rear gears should only require a ring and pinion set bearings shims and the set up cost. To me $1200 sounds like a lot. A good used rear can be had I would think for less than half of that. Just my opinion
__________________
Success is getting what you want but happyness is liking what you get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-26-2006, 10:43 AM
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: IL
Posts: 59
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rear end is a 10 bolt (10 bolts on the cover) .The shop that gave me the est said to run 410 gears I need a posi unit which 'm guessing I dont have and the only thing they could reuse was the housing and poss the axles but I cant remember for sure re the axles.

Thanks Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-26-2006, 11:00 AM
Not A T 25's Avatar
Takes Guts To Cut One Up
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: South Central Illinois
Age: 58
Posts: 354
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDEIGHT
Rear end is a 10 bolt (10 bolts on the cover) .The shop that gave me the est said to run 410 gears I need a posi unit which 'm guessing I dont have and the only thing they could reuse was the housing and poss the axles but I cant remember for sure re the axles.

Thanks Dave
Is your 10 bolt the stock width or has it been cut down you can get a new posi center section for $400 ~ $600 the ring and pinion set around $200 bearing install kit $100 and then the labor for them to do the work? I would think you could use your axles. I have a 10 bolt with 3:73 gears with my 700R4 on back of a Stroked 350 all new except the rear and I added a Powertrax no slip unit to make it a locker all seems to work great
__________________
Success is getting what you want but happyness is liking what you get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-26-2006, 11:45 AM
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: IL
Posts: 59
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The rearend is the stock width. The #s your giving me seem to be close to his throw in a few hundred for lbr and its close to 1200. I dont have any idea what the lbr involved to do this swap should cost though.

If it comes down to getting a used one with the correct gears and having it gone through or just using my existing housing and having the swap done I would rather re use what I have unless I could save 4 or 5 hundred because my exising housing is all blasted and painted already .

dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-26-2006, 11:57 AM
Not A T 25's Avatar
Takes Guts To Cut One Up
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: South Central Illinois
Age: 58
Posts: 354
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDEIGHT
The rearend is the stock width. The #s your giving me seem to be close to his throw in a few hundred for lbr and its close to 1200. I dont have any idea what the lbr involved to do this swap should cost though.

If it comes down to getting a used one with the correct gears and having it gone through or just using my existing housing and having the swap done I would rather re use what I have unless I could save 4 or 5 hundred because my exising housing is all blasted and painted already .

dave
Have you considered using 3:73 gears on your open rearend they work fine with my 700R4 Unless you are wanting the performance of the posi rearend. You could also find a used posi section and just replace yours quite a bit cheaper but used is used and new usually ends up cheaper in the long run.
__________________
Success is getting what you want but happyness is liking what you get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-26-2006, 04:48 PM
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: IL
Posts: 59
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
According to my trans guy 373 is as low as I should go due to the rear tire size , 32" actual height,to get an acceptable rpm at 60 mph in od.Any lower and I would run the risk of overheating the converter.

Its looking like new is the way to go

Thanks Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-26-2006, 05:20 PM
302 Z28's Avatar  
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2003
Location: North Texas
Posts: 10,837
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 86 Times in 73 Posts
Your trans guy is right, that 2:76 rear axle will make that vehicle a pig with a 700R4. I am figuring on 29" tires on my 34 with a 3:70 and a 700R4 for a highway rpm of 2200 to 2500. There are any number of rpm calculators on the net, pick one and figure your rpm at 60 and 70 with different gear ratios and tire sizes.

Vince
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 06-26-2006, 06:45 PM
Not A T 25's Avatar
Takes Guts To Cut One Up
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: South Central Illinois
Age: 58
Posts: 354
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDEIGHT
According to my trans guy 373 is as low as I should go due to the rear tire size , 32" actual height,to get an acceptable rpm at 60 mph in od.Any lower and I would run the risk of overheating the converter.

Its looking like new is the way to go

Thanks Dave
Why have you chosen to go with no lock up?
__________________
Success is getting what you want but happyness is liking what you get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 06-26-2006, 08:16 PM
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: IL
Posts: 59
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was told going with no lockup would be easier in the long run .

This truck will be lucky to see 500 mi a year so a few mpgs are not a concern

DAVE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 06-27-2006, 06:04 AM
Not A T 25's Avatar
Takes Guts To Cut One Up
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: South Central Illinois
Age: 58
Posts: 354
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDEIGHT
I was told going with no lockup would be easier in the long run .

This truck will be lucky to see 500 mi a year so a few mpgs are not a concern

DAVE
Not being a trans guy I guess I dont understand how it would be easier I am just going by the 700R4 I just installed in my street rod and I had it built with Hyd lock up and it required no wiring at all just set up of the TV cable which all 700R4 trans have. Good luck with your project
__________________
Success is getting what you want but happyness is liking what you get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 06-27-2006, 08:36 AM
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: IL
Posts: 59
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks t25 , I know almost nothing when it comes to transmissions and rearends I just do what they tell me .
Thanks again for your input.

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 06-27-2006, 09:55 AM
DOUBLEDICK's Avatar
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Henderson Nevada
Age: 54
Posts: 308
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I run a 700r4 in my truck with a gm 10 bolt and a powertrax locker.my valve body locks my converter in OD no electronics also I have the after market valve that lets me keep overdrive through 3/4 throttle.It is well worth it so it doesnt downshift at the slightest touch of the throttle.As far as gear ratios I run 4.56 gears and 31x10.5 tires and am turning 2650rpm at 70 but I pull a trailer so I need the lower gears I would recommend 427 gears with the 32 inch tires and nonlock up converter as trucks are heavy.My 2300 stall converter helps get this 6000lb rig rolling.I run a 500+hp 427 so my trans has the hardened parts inside and I still get 14mpg at 70mph in overdrive and in town it zips along quicker than my buddies 66 Nova with a 350/350 combo. I am quite impressed with the powertrax locker it is quiet,it just goes right in the stock carrier and it is holding up to the punishment of my torque monster 427 big block.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 06-27-2006, 10:16 AM
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: IL
Posts: 59
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks double d i'll bring that up to the trans guy


Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I need some input on putting a Ford rearend under a 1972 Dodge Dart onebadmerc Transmission - Rearend 7 12-21-2005 10:30 PM
Hotrodders Knowledge Base: Transmission - Rearend Jon Transmission - Rearend 0 11-26-2005 06:23 PM
Rearend clunk briz Transmission - Rearend 8 09-11-2005 07:14 PM
rearend for a Model A 30coupe Transmission - Rearend 10 11-25-2002 08:04 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.