Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Need Recommendation for Massachusetts
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 09:53 AM

Last journal entry: 27 T Modified - First Build
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I'd take a look around for a Camaro-specific forum. Find one you like with good info and active, pleasant members that nerd out at length and know the cars inside & out.

You'll find out all sorts of tips, tricks, & products to use on your car.

That said, I'd suggest going simple & bolt on for more speed & sound at this point.

The top 2 things I'd be looking for with a 2000 Camaro would be an upgrade to the air intake and a tower strut brace to stiffen the handling but that's just my taste. I have both of those upgraded in my 2010 Challenger R/T & I like it.

Maybe search around on those forums and see what they think of the K&N or Volant CAI system. You could also try just dropping an OE style high flow filter first too. I did a quick search on a major online parts supplier and it turned up a couple CAI boxes and a "Power Tune Kit" which included things like thicker plug wires, nice new spark plugs, a Throttle Body Velocity Stack/Spacer, & a 160 Thermostat. Most of these things are bolt-on & non invasive mods. I'd be wary of the thermostat in MA though as it could end up in a big red R sticker for emissions.

Then crawl under your beast & see what the exhaust situation actually is. If you've already got a nice system, keep it or change the mufflers out to something louder. If you're running stock, look into a Cat-Back exhaust system but keep in mind that'll likely run you at least a grand installed. If you go this route, look into a High Flow Catalytic Converter & Headers while you're at it. While I'm on Headers, those you could probably do for around or under $500 _IF_ you install them yourself, which, if you're inexperienced, will be a _very_ frustrating learning experience. You're also gonna want to try & make sure whatever system you get will mate up to your existing gear or the gear you're installing with it.

Do all or some of this stuff & you've done a bunch to get more out of what you've got AND free'd up your intake & exhaust to take on future mods. This is all stuff you'd need to do along with things like cam swaps, lifters, roller rockers & boosting.

What I'd suggest you get (FIRST!) if you don't already have, is some of those Mechanix style gloves & some thick leather/hide gloves (you will tear your hands up plenty), some decent & comfortable shop goggles (you will get rust & debris in your eyes), a flannel/cotton long sleeve work shirt (poly doesn't get along with heat) * some good respirator masks. Then get some basic, good quality tools. This will help keep the fun in your project by filtering out some of the pains.

Last edited by patmanta; 10-18-2012 at 09:58 AM.