need to run long length of pipe from air compressor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2009, 03:34 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

need to run long length of pipe from air compressor

My compressor is going to be about a hundred feet from the shop and I am trying to determine the best way to get the air from the compressor to the work area.

I am thinking of running 3/4" black iron pipe underground from the storage shed that houses the air compressor to the shop.

What do you think? Could I get by with 1/2" pipe, or am I undersized with 3/4" for that length?

Any suggestions welcome!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2009, 03:55 PM
done learning, done living

Last photo:

the 3/4 would be fine because you are talking about psi. So you are going to have the same amount of air pressure with either size line. The air hose you use is probably only 3/8's anyways. Can you put a storage tank in the shop area to hold air closer to the work area. Make sure that underground line don't freeze up on ya in the winter time. You might have to put it in the ground like 3 or 4 feet.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:08 PM

Last photo:

I am in south texas, so we don't get much cold weather. Could I go with PVC for the underground sections?

I am looking for ways to cut down the cost of buying so much iron pipe..about $17 per 10 foot lengths at HD or Lowes.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:34 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

I wouldn't, but If you did. end the PVC right b4 it runs into the buildings, and bury it deeper than you normally do.. compliance for Air/water snowmaking ( 175 PSI at the caps ) uses a special flexible PVC, but is 8' in the ground.. this is cold temps.. as long as theres a foot or so of soil between you and the pipe, I guess it would be safe
Old 06-21-2009, 07:09 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Don't plumb with PVC. I did with "shattering" consequences. I tried to go cheap with PVC, then decided that it wasn't safe after reading some articles. When I loosened it from the wall clamps to remove, it broke up in many small pieces - and had only been up a few weeks. I believe that 3/4" copper is 10-12 bucks a ten foot length (the price came down this spring) and it's the best for cooling your air. Don't forget that you need a good dryer at the outlet end as well to knock out any water carry over. Scrimp now, and you'll regret it later. Half inch is good, but three quarter is better - some air tools are real air hogs and need lots of volume. Black iron as you said, is a good alternative, but if it's buried, I would be concerned with rust within a few years if you live in one of Texas' wet areas.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:35 PM

Last journal entry: frame build
Last photo:

I'd put galvanized pipe underground. It will last your lifetime. The bigger the better. Bigger pipe will slow the air velocity through the line lessening the amount of contaminants that will be carried through. Run the pipe uphill at least 1/4" per foot from where it goes into the ground to the outlet. Put a Pipe T at the low point in the ground with the T pointed down. Use a brass compression fitting to copper tube from the bottom of the T to the surface of the ground. Put a petcock or ball valve on the end above the ground. This way you can drain any moisture that may collect in the underground line. Air pressure will blow it out. I would at least put a oil/water separator in line before it goes into the ground.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:22 PM

Check craigslist for pipe many times there are listings of surplus materials for sale. Stuff left over from a job and the contractor just wants to get rid of it so he won't have to store it.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:56 PM

Do it once, do it right

I'd go with copper. Not much more than galvy, may be cheater today.

Copper is naturally rot-resistant, you're not counting on a coating. And soldired fittings done right, and it's easy to do them right, last forever with no leaks inlike a mechanical fitting.

Just my opinion for what it's worth.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:11 PM

Last photo:

One downside to running an airline underground is the moisture condensation because of the cooler ground temp. The line can filll with water pretty quickly. We used to put a blowwoff line from the lowest point up with a ball valve to get rid of the condensation. Just a thought for you to think about.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:39 PM

Last photo:

1/2" copper will be sufficient if you use only one tool at a time. You can run a healthy sand blaster or paint gun using the 100' 1/2 Cu line. You can run 3/4" Cu if you have overkill tendancies. The water will condense in the underground line which is a good thing. Some buy expensive coolers to do the same thing. You must however plan how to remove the condensed water. Some will have issues with freezing once we win war on global warming. If you are sure it won't freeze underground then a cheap water separator can easily remove the water post a 100' run. You should slope the 100' run (more than 1/4" per foot if possible) to a low point drain.

If you are really on a budget, you can buy a cheap 100' air hose followed by a few ft of Cu pipe and water separator/low point drain.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:03 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Coupe
One downside to running an airline underground is the moisture condensation because of the cooler ground temp. The line can filll with water pretty quickly. We used to put a blowwoff line from the lowest point up with a ball valve to get rid of the condensation. Just a thought for you to think about.

Downside? DOWNSIDE?? You have got to be kidding! That is one of the main plus sides to running that line underground, you WANT the line to cool the air and condense the moisture vapor into liquid, that's why we WANT to run long lines and use Copper when possible. A refrigerated separator works by cooling the air before it enters the separator which is exactly what running that line underground will accomplish.

Last edited by oldred; 06-22-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:28 PM

Last photo:

I have a question. If the lowest point is under ground with a filter, how would you drain the water from the filter. Can you have the drain before it enters the building?
Old 06-22-2009, 02:34 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

You said any suggestions were welcome, so........can I ask why you don't just get another compressor and put it in the shop where you want it? I guarantee you'll spend less money on another compressor, and have less problems than trying to dig a trench and run 100 ft.of air line to another building.

I had a similar problem, only it involved running 150 feet of heavy electrical wire to power my garage. I ended up putting in a separate electrical service from a nearby power pole. I have a separate $20.00 electric bill for my garage every month which is $7.00 more than it would cost me if the power came from my house. But,......I got to put in 200 amp service which I wouldn't have been able to do had I run a wire.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 930dreamer
I have a question. If the lowest point is under ground with a filter, how would you drain the water from the filter. Can you have the drain before it enters the building?
He could use a automatic drain valve draining into a drywell.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:36 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61bone
Put a Pipe T at the low point in the ground with the T pointed down....copper tube from the bottom of the T to the surface of the ground. Put a petcock or ball valve on the end above the ground. This way you can drain any moisture that may collect in the underground line. Air pressure will blow it out.
Don't put filter underground.
Put filter/water separator down stream of the underground pipe.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.