Need to save money but need something as good as chromabase. Willing to mix in house. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2011, 05:09 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Need to save money but need something as good as chromabase. Willing to mix in house.

I have tried Marten Senour from Napa. I get a pretty good price on the colorants only. But it seems like Chromabase has less pigment that clumps and spits when least expected and it also seems like it does better with lacquer (I don't use the balancer and binder - just the pigments).

BUT... the stuff is driving my prices up because of how expensive it is at O-reilly with my PBE account. I used to mix the color myself (I build instruments so small quantities) using 901 colorants from any good paint store. But as much as I hate to say it, Chromabase seems to stay mixed better than that stuff or Napas M.S. paints.

Seems like most body shops mix in house (have a mixing station). How do I do this? I'm tired of going broke everytime I have to order a few colors.

OR... is there something besides Chromabase that works close to as good? I have a PPG guy that delivers to this area. I've never used their stuff though. Really I'd like to mix myself if I can find quality components to work with. That gives me a lot more freedom for color match.

Curious what other's experience has been in this dept.

thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2011, 05:29 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Mixing stations are cost prohibitive unless you are a busy collision shop as they are very expensive..Pm BarryK and see if he might have an answer..I feel for you bro...

Sam
Old 11-04-2011, 08:29 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Try Nason or even Omini but,let them mix it with the proper binders and balancers and stop using lacquer thinner...Chroma base needs its base maker if you want proper results and nason and omini require a reducer....good lacquer thinner is expensive and hard to find most of what you find is wash thinner and only used for cleaning guns ....never use lacquer thinner in place of reducers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.