NEED TO SHORTEN MY DRIVESHAFT - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2002, 12:11 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post NEED TO SHORTEN MY DRIVESHAFT

I HAVE JUST MOVED THE ENGINE AND TRANNY BACK 4" ON MY 1936 FORD COUPE WITH A 350 - 350 TRANNY AND 8" FORD REAREND.

I'M GOING TO HAVE TO SHORTEN MY DRIVESHAFT, DO YOU GUYS WANT TO GIVE ME ANY THINGS TO WATCH OUT FOR OTHER THAN MAKING SURE JOINTS ARE IN PHASE. ALSO WHAT IS THE CORRECT WAY TO MEASURE FOR THE PROPER DRIVESHART LENGTH.

BEFORE I DO CUT IT I'M GOING TO HAVE TO CHECK BOTH THE ENGINE ANGLE AND REAR ANGLE TO BE SURE I DON'T HAVE TO MUCH UNCANCELLED ANGLE.

THANKS

BOMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2002, 02:42 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

BOMO, sounds like you are moving right along. To measure the length, put the yoke, less the ujoint and drive shaft, in the transmission and push all the way in and back out 1" . Measure from the center line of the front and rear yokes. this becomes the length of your finished drive shaft from shaft yokes centerlines. I recommend you take your shaft to a drive line company or a good machine shop and let them cut or make your drive shaft, unless you are an experienced machinest with well equiped shop. Check Yellow pages or other street rooders in your area. More ways to skin a cat. do the sam thing with the front yoke, then measure from the back surface of the rear yoke where the unjointfastens and measure to the back part of the front yoke ujoint hole. (same distance as above)
Old 11-02-2002, 02:50 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Woops, I'm assuming you have a drivshaft made up for the 350 tranny and Ford rear. If not, you will need to tell the drive line guys that you are mixing and matching GM front and Ford rear. You may want to check your pinion shaft ofset and compare with where the tranny shaft is. Both should be dead centered in the frame for the best results. You just don't have the room to move the engine/tranny more than a 1/4 inch left tor right of center because of the X member. Now you can do some heavy modification, but the X member strength is the heart of the old Ford frames. May want to consider Chevy rear.
Old 11-02-2002, 03:45 PM

Last photo:

WELL I HAVE COMPLETELY CUT THE X MEMBER OUT LAST WEEK AND HAVE FABRICATED A MUCH WIDER X FRAME TO ACCOMADATE SLIDEING THE ENGINE AND TRANNY BACK 4" I KNOW THIS HAS TO BE STRONG AND THAT IT'S THE HEART OF MY FRAME. I FEEL LIKE I DID A SUPERD JOB ON REDESIGNING IT AND WELDING IT ALL TOGETHER. IN FACT I'D BET I CAN LIFT THE CAR BY THE CENTER SECTION.

MY BACKGROUND YEARS BACK WAS IN THE MACHINE TOOL INDUSTRY, ALTHOUGH FOR THE LAST 30 YEARS I HAVE BEEN A SAFE CRACKER

I'M JUST A LITTLE FUZZY ON YOUR EXPLANATION OF HOW I MEASURE MY DRIVESHAFT LENGTH, AND YES I DO HAVE THE OLD ONE THAT IS TO LONG

THANKS FOR YOUR POST AND I'LL TRY AND GET BACK TONIGHT TO SEE IF YOU LEFT ME A POST

BOMO
Old 11-03-2002, 07:50 AM

hope u dont mind me asken y u moven it bac anyway
Old 11-03-2002, 09:46 AM

Last photo:

NOT AT ALL MATT.

AFTER I HAD THE BODY IN PLACE AND REAR FENDERS ON AND RUNNING BOADS AND WAS TRYING TO FIT THE GRILL AND FT FENDERS AND RADIATOR IN I FOUND THAT WITH AN ELECT. FAN I WAS ABOUT 2 1/2" TO FAR FORWARD WITH THE ENGINE EVEN WITH A SHORT WATERPUMP PLUS I HAD TONS OF ROOM BEHIND THE ENGINE TO FIREWALL
Old 11-04-2002, 03:32 PM
you're killin me buck!

Last photo:

if the tranny moves 4" and the driveshaft is in the right spot to begin with, you should be able to take 4" out of the tube with no trouble.
once you stuff the yoke into the tube, you have to straighten it, remember, the joint is the center of rotation.
you can have a drive line shop replace the gm yoke with one to accept a square joint at the pinion, or get a conversion joint.
i would find a driveline shop.
i work at one and have seen the d.i.y.s. drive shafts. i wouldn't put them in my car.
good luck,
Josh
Old 11-05-2002, 04:35 PM

[quote]Originally posted by bomo:
<strong>NOT AT ALL MATT.

AFTER I HAD THE BODY IN PLACE AND REAR FENDERS ON AND RUNNING BOADS AND WAS TRYING TO FIT THE GRILL AND FT FENDERS AND RADIATOR IN I FOUND THAT WITH AN ELECT. FAN I WAS ABOUT 2 1/2" TO FAR FORWARD WITH THE ENGINE EVEN WITH A SHORT WATERPUMP PLUS I HAD TONS OF ROOM BEHIND THE ENGINE TO FIREWALL</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not to mention the better handling

Cheers
Dale.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.