Hot Rod Forum banner

Need a side oiler FE? Or two...

917 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  woodz428 
#1 · (Edited)
Need a 427? Or two...

I am parting a 1967 Chris Craft with two, 300 horse, Chris Craft (Ford) 427's. These are fresh water (closed cooling system) engines that have been well maintained over the years. less than 2000 hours on each hourmeter. Right hand and left hand rotation - complete engines.
Any interest?
email me at:
tom@pugetsoundboat.com
Tom Hoffmann
Seattle, WA

#2 ·
Not to rain on your parade, but unless you have actually looked at the side-oiler "lump" on the side and have seen the pipe plugs installed to plug the drilling of the passage(just above the crossbolts), it is probably NOT a side-oiler. Most all 427 engines used as boats, and I would be willing to guess that your's were, are NOT drilled for side-oiling. They can be, but were not from the factory. At the price of a new 427 block from several of the vendors, the amount of labor involved in changing the one correct rotation engine over to the specs of an auto side-oiler would be prohibitive. The other one would astronomical considering the change to the internals. I won't state this as absolute, however, I don't believe they even used steel cranks.

#5 ·
427 Marine engines are the same bore and stroke as a HP street model, but without the extra beef that comes with the street engine. Blocks are not given the same treatment as the street engine and often times have thinner cylinders in a block that is already too thin. They also, as I pointed out earlier, are not usually drilled for side-oiling. The casting has the"lump" but the drilling is not performed. They are usually cross-bolted, but because they tend to be lower turning steady state engines, they don't get all the premium pieces that the car engine does. Of course the reverse rotation one uses a completely different crank(and cam to match) to keep the rotation from pushing the oil "backward" into the galleries.At the price of a Genesis block it would be a little foolish, dollar wise, to do all the machining that would need to be done and have a block that is far less stout. The casting number is a J so it wouldn't even be one to use in an early car that you wanted a correct block.Overrated and usually overpriced because the buyers and sellers don't understand the shortcomings that need to be addressed or the cost of a far superior block from the aftermarket.

#6 ·
Hummmmmmmmm.Good information.See,I am working on a 390 and a 428 now.
My client/friend actually has a desire for a 427.Scarcity and distance - south america - made me recommend him to stay with what we got.But he insists... If this Marine 427 uses std oiling,I imagine it could be kept that way for the street. How about this Genesis? Is it what the new Cobras are using? Are they cast in iron? What price?

#7 ·
The Genesis, and there are others as well, are cast in both aluminum and Iron. They have the the Ford casting number and are NHRA legal. Roush uses the Iron block in their builds. I think they run about $3500 and have siamese bores, better metallurgy and side oiling.Here's a link to their page. There is also Pond,Dove and of course Shelby( I think Shelby only offers al. ones )
http://www.genesis427.com/
That's why I would suggest staying away from marine engines. Because most people think they have a piece of gold, they want too much and by the time it is made to be almost as good as an old car engine, you wind up with more money than a good aftermarket block. Plus a much less desirable product. If you have a boat you want to power , go to town, If you want a strong reliable street engine let it pass. They just aren't worth it, unless you can pick the whole engine up for less than $500, I'd let it go by. The heads are crap and any well built 390 head will out perform them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.