Hot Rod Forum banner

Need signal light diagram for a 82 chevy 2500

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  75gmck25 
#1 ·
Hello all and thanks for your help on this. I need to put turn signals in my truck, and the plastic switch in the Colomb is broken. I just need the wiring schematic for the columb to install switches on the dash. I don't have the tools to take anything off the columb other than the steering wheel, so I will be splicing in from the bottom of the harness. If you know what wires are for the turn signals on the columb could you please let me know. That would be sweet.

#2 ·
Doc here, :pimp:

It's NOT that simple..

The turnsignal switch is a multifunction, multiplexed switch, that supplies Isolation from the two systems it supports..Brake Lamp and Signal system, which use the same filament at the rear bulb.

When you select left turn, it turns OFF the left brake lamp, and flashes the same filament from the turnsignal system. Same applies to the right..without the isolation, you'd not be able to tell the difference between a signal, and a brake light (same brightness) at a stop light making a turn. ALSO without the isolation, you would have 4 way flasher in ANY position.

In addition to that, you would not have "Auto~Cancel " function..(when the wheel returns to the "Center position" ) so you'd be driving around with a flasher all the time if you forgot to turn your switch off..

If you don't have the tools, I suggest you RENT, BORROW or add to your tool box, Because you need to change the stock switch out to do it right.

Doc :pimp:

#3 ·
Well I am definetly glad I posted that on here then, because I had no idea it was that complicated. I need some sort of reverse puller to push the guts of the columb down enough to get out a clip that holds everything down on a taperded spline. I will be going to good ol "princess auto" tonight by the looks of things. Thanks for all your help Doc, you always get me out of sticky problems 8)

#4 ·
agent spliff said:
Well I am definetly glad I posted that on here then, because I had no idea it was that complicated. I need some sort of reverse puller to push the guts of the columb down enough to get out a clip that holds everything down on a taperded spline. I will be going to good ol "princess auto" tonight by the looks of things. Thanks for all your help Doc, you always get me out of sticky problems 8)
Doc here, :pimp:

Hey! No Problem!

Auto zombie Down here "Rents" tools for the price of the tool as a Deposit..when you return (the unmolested ) Tool, they give you your check back..

Don't know if you have a place like that in Canada, but It might save you a few Fazools..

You should Only need a Standard wheel puller set anyway (unless you have something special) And those aren't all that expensive.

Let us know how it turns out~ :thumbup:

Doc :pimp:

#5 ·
I know the type of tool you need to get the snap ring off, but I couldn't find one at the store. It is used to push the spring loaded plate under the horn down enough to take pressure off the snap ring that holds it on. I used the picture in the GM manual and made one when I needed to get the column apart on my '75.

Bruce

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.