Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - need skilled info
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 09:40 AM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by swb-big boy View Post
ok im a new guy been reading alot on 781s im building a 79' 454 looking for a good setup on my 85'swb its gonna be a weekend show off .my run the strip few times.( its got comp lifter n cam package 292/550.im lookun to build a dependable street motor and i live across from drag strip .im needing info on rebuilding my heads but not lookin to replace my bottom end.was thinkin of uping the valve size like i read but dont want to over do it
.im 26 this is my first build. i need to know what to tell the shop to do to the heads. please help
How many miles on the bottom end. If you pull the heads off the motor you will probably end up rebuilding the engine if its high miles and never been rebuilt. I would be suprised to see a big block with perfect bores from 1979 and still perfect.

The heads are very heavy, alum heads will take a good chunk of wieght off the car. And will be bolt on ready AFR has some nice heads for 454. By the time you get the heads back you will have at least 500 to 1000 bucks in them unless they are fresh already. Between port work and new parts and replacing any burnt or bad valves guides and seats. You will not be far away from the price of great alum heads and get the wieght along with the large flow.