Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Need some 307 advice
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 02:59 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
The bottom line is that F-BIRD'88 will continue to advise grinding on your heads and I will continue to nay-nay it.
There are many who say "hog this", "grind that" and that you don't need a flow bench, etc. The guys who want to follow that advice are just setting themselves up for disappointment. And that will happen AFTER they spend untold hours trying to duplicate what they think they see- in a picture!

I'm not saying that hand porting cannot be done successfully. I was fortunate enough to have made some templates out of brass from a GOOD set of fuelie heads. Using them I can do a pretty good rendition of those heads and they show an improvement at the track.

By eye I can get a little improvement as well- being as how I've done this so many times. But a first timer? Good luck until you've made some goofs- and the goofs will cost you a casting every time unless you have a bench to show you what's happening. And /o a bench you have to port a PAIR of heads, bolt them on and take it to the track, then remove them, port some more, or port another set of heads, repeat until you're happy w/the results or you decide you'd rather spend your time earning some coinage to buy a decent set of aftermarket heads or at least for some time on a flow bench.

Last edited by cobalt327; 11-27-2012 at 03:07 PM.