Hot Rod Forum banner

need some 327 &/or SBC advise

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  jimfulco 
#1 ·
I don't know squat about which 327 is which. All I can remember from 15 years ago when I was into SBCs, is some are small journal and big journal, the older stuff had softer valve seats, and HEI was a good thing to have. I reckon there is more to look for than this, and await your answers with open ears.

I have access to a 1966 29k mile 327 that has never been touched and is in fact still sitting in the original C60 (I think it's a C60?) Anyway it's a heavy truck and am wondering if this motor (which was actually started last month just to make sure it works) would be worth using in a daily driver 80 Malibu? Since I'm looking for just about any SBC with around 250-325hp that will see 60-80 miles a day? Would this make a decent motor for my intended usage? Or should I just stick with a 350 that's mildly built with more modern tech and parts? What's this motor *really* worth?

BTW: I can do anything to an engine that's needed, but for this daily driver I don't want to dump a lot of money or time into it.

Thanks in advance, Rich

#2 ·
If this is indeed an original 66 truck 327, it will be a small journal engine and there is nothing at all wrong with that. It will have the very small valved truck heads, but with a little work could be coaxed into a decent little performer. Basic small block chevy performance mods would apply here like small tube headers, smallish type four barrel carb and maybe just slightly over a stock camshaft. HEI ignition would be a good upgrade for it. Basically, with a four barrel carb and duals, you would have a 327-250 horse factory type engine.

#4 ·
OK thanks guys.
I was shocked to run accross this. But this guys family bought the truck new back then. They used it around a farm and something went down on it. So they parked it amoung all the other farm equipment.

About 10 years ago this fella actually repainted the truck thinking he was going to start using it again. But the truck has been down more than it worked properly. He tried selling it but to no avail.

I just happened to be talking about a boat I'm refinishing and he said he had a motor I might want. Turns out to be this 327! He even went and started it just to make sure it still ran.

I think I'd at least throw some new bearings and a pump in it. Or for that matter all new gaskets too. Having been started only once every couple years cannot be a good thing for the bottom end?

So... what about the valve seats? Do I need to put some hardened ones in it to use as a daily driver?

Anybody know what a fair price for this motor would be?

Thanks, Rich B

#7 · (Edited)
This is just me but, I'd have the block and heads boiled and new rod and main brngs and valve guides installed in the heads, timing chain, water pump, oil pump, valve springs and of course a good gasket set. Your main brngs and rod brngs have more hours of running time than miles, the water pump will start leaking if it dosn't already and the oil pump has a lot of hours of running time on it too. I would pull the pistons and think seriously about changing rings, look at the top of the cylinders for a wear groove, get the cylinders honed if its there. Basically a total rebuild. Last 327 I got I bought at an auction for $50 but I understand you might expect to pay as much as $250 for and engine needing rebuilt but I'd offer $150 for it , see if the owner will get off it cheep. Just because this engine ran for you dosn't mean it will run for you as a daily driver without going through it and freshining it up. You may need to remind the owner of that, a lot more hours than miles still mean it needs rebuilt.

Todd

Rat Rods Rule!

#9 ·
Use your 327 heads if you can. 350 heads (76cc) will lower your compression ratio too much. A good alternative would be the 65cc 305 heads with 1.84" intake valves. They have hardened seats and the accessory mounting bosses and holes you'll need. Actually, because of this, they would be a better choice than the original heads.

#10 ·
Thats a good idea. Even though they won't flow up top, they would increase the compression ratio and make for some decent torque in the low/mid range.

What sized cam, intake, carb (holley DP) would be best for this situation? ((As long as I can pull 15 mpg and have a nice lope))

Rich B

#11 ·
just the thread i was looking for. getting myself an original 65' 327out of an old c-60 line truck. i plan to go completely through the engine but can i use the 305 heads and tbi unit off my 91' firebird? i'm not looking 400+ hp just something to play around with and possibly drive daily. it will be mated to a 5-speed and a 3:08 rear. any opinions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.