need some advice - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2008, 07:40 PM
72 grabber 51F-1 65 chevystang

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

need some advice

I have been thinking of selling my 69 Ford F-100 because it seems to be a money pit and I am sick of fooling with it. When the truck is running right I love to drive it but it seems like it has ben nothing but headaches for the last couple of months. First off i needs kingpins. About a month ago the valve cover started leaking. I think it is no big deal so I buy a new set of gaskets and put them on. Next morning when I get to school its smoking horrible because they are still leaking. I try a set of rubber gaskets and it still leaks. I try another valve cover and it leaks even worse. When driving it back I overwind it and break the rocker arm shaft. I replace the rocker arm shaft and it smokes real bad out one side. that is where we are now. When I was selling an old motor last weekend, the guy who bought it said if I ever wanted to sell it he wanted first shot. I am thinking of selling it to get a later model truck. I talked with my dad about it and he said I should sell because it is becoming a money pit. My dad bought it for me and I am a little leary about it because of sentimenatal value. Any advice wouldbe appreciated. The truck has sat in the garage for about a month and it has not been touched.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2008, 08:27 PM

Last journal entry: More on the Cobra Engine
Last photo:

Old vehicle need work, plain and simple. They will continue to always need some sort of repair, why do you think new car and trucks are held to such a high esteem....Because they are new and usually don't have break downs. The decision is yours, if you feel the truck is just not worth all the aggravation, then sell it. You are the one that knows your father best, and only you will know how he might react. If it were might son, I would understand that he don't have the money to constantly repair the vehicle.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:13 PM

Last photo:

I think I am going to keep it. It means a lot cause my dad worked real hard to get it for me. When I get the money I am going to tear down the motor and get the heads redone. I have promised to buy a 51 parts truck saturday so that is the money I have now. I am trying to sell a 74 and 76 trucks so when one of them goes I will have the money to fix it. I have a 93 Civic to drive daily, it has no style or power but it gets good mileage. I basically just needed to vent
Old 09-29-2008, 09:44 PM
Freezing in arctic Iowa

Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 409

Quote:
Originally Posted by yknot
Old vehicle need work, plain and simple. They will continue to always need some sort of repair, why do you think new car and trucks are held to such a high esteem....Because they are new and usually don't have break downs. The decision is yours, if you feel the truck is just not worth all the aggravation, then sell it. You are the one that knows your father best, and only you will know how he might react. If it were might son, I would understand that he don't have the money to constantly repair the vehicle.
Even brand new vehicles break down, that is why they have warranties. A warranty is very simply a guarantee that the manufacturer will fix mechanical defects and breakdowns for a stated period of time. I know people that trade in their vehicle just before the warranty expires since they are very uncomfortable with the idea of having to deal with breakdowns.

A 69 Ford pickup is not very complicated. Just remember that the newer the vehicle the more complicated they become.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:05 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Crashfarmer is right. Simplicity is good.
Once that old truck gets sorted out, it'll run forever.(with minor patches every now and then)

I have a 72 f100 that I bought from my best friend in '89, his dad bought it new. ( I remember riding in it when it was brand new, ..I was in 5th grade)

Sentimental value. sniff..

302, shortbed, it had a 3 on the tree until I put the granny low 4 speed in it. It has had a pretty hard life, lots of towing trailers, commuting, hauling stuff around, worked way harder than any 1/2 ton truck with a 302 should have been. ( the factory tag on it said payload of 400 pounds..I've had 2200 pounds of sand in it. )

It's had 3 motors, first one was at 125k, the second went away at 210, and now this one has 130000+ miles on it.

The whole truck has 345000 miles on it, but I'll never get rid of it. It's too easy to fix.

Old Yeller

It is a 72, I put a 69 grill on it cause I liked the 69 better.

Keep it, stick it out, buy another truck anyway.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 09-30-2008, 12:28 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

Sentimental value is priceless.

If you look @ that hunk O steel & rubber & it gives you a smile ,sparks a memory ,good & bad ,and you have a place to keep it do so.

I have a whole list of cars ,trucks & bikes that I let get away.

That 55 Caddy still haunts me.
I spent more time looking for a place to store it than anything else .I loved just looking @ the grill & those BIG Double D 's

Once its gone ...its gone.

Zoom out close the file & come back to it when you are ready & have a clear mind.

R

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 09-30-2008, 05:34 PM

Last photo:

I fill better now. i am going to tear down the motor tomorrow evening and have my heads redone. I would do it today but I am going to car car sale with my dad in about an hour
Old 09-30-2008, 06:18 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I don't know if you did this, but here goes. When replacing the valve cover gaskets, it is imperative that you put a bead of silicone where the intake and head meet. (front and back). Without it, it will leak like no tomorrow, if the heads have been surfaced. This causes a step in that area, and it can be sealed with a little attention to detail.

I recommend almost any silicone, but red.

I hate leaks!
Old 09-30-2008, 09:02 PM

Last photo:

I used plenty of silicon. I am having the heads rebuilt by one of he best shops in the area and I am hoping he can tell me what is causing it
Old 10-01-2008, 07:48 PM

Last photo:

I got the motor tore down today. My dad is taking the heads to the shop in the next couple days when he gets the time
Old 10-01-2008, 08:26 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

common weak point of FE's is the valve train

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.