Need some advice - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2012, 04:12 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Need some advice

My name is Jesse. I have a 64 elky with. 383 stroker. It's a good street car. Hypertechtic pistons, victor jr, 750cfm BG Holley, iron eagle 2.02 heads 540 lift 200 runners, 3700 tci 10", 4.10 gear with full spool,th400 w/manual valve body, Et street radials....... Runs 12.40's pretty consistsntly. So here's my question? How should I go about getting it into the 11's??? I know there's many different ways to create more power but what would be the simplest way? Set of AFr heads?(the big ones 235 runners w/2.125 valves) and a dominator??? How should I tweek it to get alittle more out of it?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2012, 04:48 PM

Welcome. 12.4 is already pretty quick. What does your 60 and top mph look like?
Old 08-27-2012, 06:30 PM

My 60 foot was a 1.95 and my final mph was 110
Old 08-27-2012, 07:27 PM

You've already got an 11 second car...just need to get it hooking up better. Maybe time for some real slicks and suspension work. Good luck, Bill.
The Following User Says Thank You to ssimpala For This Useful Post:
64 elky (08-27-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 12:06 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64 elky View Post
My 60 foot was a 1.95 and my final mph was 110
The 60' time is not too good- at a 12.4 sec. et you should be close to a 1.7 second 60'. The change in 60' time can amount to 1.5 times the change in the quarter mile et, so if you can get the 60' time where it belongs, you stand to pick up about 0.35 seconds in the quarter mile et. That alone would put you knocking on the door of a high 11.

If you haven't done this already, try different launch techniques. You'd be surprised how many times a car will pick up et by leaving from an idle- but the carburetion has to be spot on. Also different shift points may help- if the engine is over revved even a small amount, et is lost.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:55 AM

Yeah it's a work in progress. I'm fairly new to the drag scene. I've been building street rods for awhile but yes I've noticed the tune has to be perfect to run the number. For example I know I have a cheap set of plugs in the motor right now. I just went and got a set of autolite 3910. So I'll see if that makes a difference. The carb seems to be tuned really good. But of corse I drive it on the street alot and a street tune is way different then a race tune.... Thanks for the info tho. I've noticed in the past that short shifting the car (6000 instead of 6500) does make a difference in ET. I also need to set the four link alittle better to. I got the coil over package for it and have played with the bound and rebound on the shocks alot. Seems to help alot if I can get the tires to load properly.

Another thing that I have a question about is my carb. I got it off a race car(late model) but they have class specifications thy have to meet. The question I have is I cracked it open last year and it doesn't have any secondary jets????? Seriously I had to look twice just to believe it myself. There's just threaded holes there. So the fuel isnt getting metered at all and I know as the car runs GOOD onthe street with no hesitation from an idle to WOT that's gotta be affecting the flow of the fuel. So that Leeds me to believe the carb is too small cause if I put jets in it then all I'll be song is taking fuel away from the motor. So I don't know.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:54 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64 elky View Post
Another thing that I have a question about is my carb. I got it off a race car(late model) but they have class specifications thy have to meet. The question I have is I cracked it open last year and it doesn't have any secondary jets????? Seriously I had to look twice just to believe it myself. There's just threaded holes there. So the fuel isnt getting metered at all and I know as the car runs GOOD onthe street with no hesitation from an idle to WOT that's gotta be affecting the flow of the fuel. So that Leeds me to believe the carb is too small cause if I put jets in it then all I'll be song is taking fuel away from the motor. So I don't know.
That makes me wonder if the secondary side is even functional. Even the smallest carb will be too rich w/o jets unless there's something really strange going on. Circle track racers are notorious for tweaking the rules, so who knows...

But in any event, there should be jets. I would suggest you baseline the secondaries to factory specs. This might involve swapping out the secondary metering block, depending on what has been done to it to allow the engine to run sans secondary jets.

What is the carb number? It'll be stamped into the airhorn. If the airhorn has been milled off (a common mod), the numbers will be missing- if so, is it a dual feed? Double pumper?
Old 08-29-2012, 12:29 AM

It's a Holley 750 double pumper 4150. All the numbers are unreadable now cause they have been filed off, on top of each bowl there's a plate that says "BG fuel systems" barry grant holley it has annular boosters and the working section has been messaged and bigger accelerator pumps installed in it too. I went and cracked the bowls off today and installed some new jets. I had 76's in the primary's and nothing in the secondary's at all just threaded ports. So I threw a set of 84's in the primary and 96's in the secondary's and fired it up and it seemed to like, took it for a drive and the jets seemed to really wake it up. Now there seems to be no hesitation at all when going from about 500 rpm to WOT. Plus I got the car to plant ALOT harder and the driver side came way up. I have to wait and see what it does at the track.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:30 AM

is the cam hydraulic or solid?
Old 08-29-2012, 06:21 AM

It's hydraulic lifter cam with the comp cam push rods and rockers.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:33 AM

Sounds like you've got it figured out. Another thing, if you haven't already done it, a set of Airlift 1000 bags with about 15 psi in the right side and maybe 5 psi in the left usually makes a small difference in 60' times. Good luck, Bill.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:51 AM

Last photo:

Sounds like you've got a handle on it. Keep track of all your adjustments in a notebook. Something like temperature, track prep, what the change was and how well it ran. That way you won't get lost and have to go back to box stock.

Do me a favor and be careful running a spool on the street.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:15 AM

Yes I normally write it down on the back of the time slip. And then keep all of the slips. I normally don't know to much about the track however I do write down the outside temp, motor temp shift points and how hot I got the tires as well as tire psi and what I stalled up to on the tree.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:24 AM

I also just acquired a set of 1.6 rockers. I don't believe I'll have a clearance problem as I have flat top pistons with 2.02 dart iron eagle heads.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:29 AM

those are good heaDS,are they ported? eventually you will need a big boy cam,some kind of solid or solid roller. 110 mph is good for 12.0s just need the car to leave harder.
what system ate you using to control axle wind up? are your read shocks 50/50? do you have a front sway bar? whats the car weigh?time to dial little details and chase the hundredths of seconds until you change engine parts

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.