Need some advice about two possibe trucks set ups - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2011, 04:00 PM
VR4 power

Wiki Edits: 0

Need some advice about two possibe trucks set ups

The name is Sean i'm new to the website and i'm hope you guys could help me with some trucks ive been looking into... i have been looking into some 1950's ford f1's and Chevy short bed pick ups that i would like to work on and turn into a street rod with some serious power
i found a ford f1's that i like and have been considering putting a 2000 mustang cobra svt engine in it and twin turbo it along with a blower under the hood if this possible ? i believe it is Ive heard people say that it can be done but im looking for more information on it and was hoping some one on here would know it was for sure... i basicly want to build a ford gt engine into a ford f1

The 55 Chevy short bed i like i want to put a corrvette z06 engine in it fuel injected twin turbo and running a blower as well. if this is posssible... please let me know what you think and let me know if these are even possible

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2011, 04:08 PM

Last photo:

You have some good ideas but let me tell you what your in for first. The frames on the F1's or F100's are no way capable of handling the power of twin turbo cobra engines, etc. In order to have a motor with that type of horsepower, etc, the frame would need to be boxed in. A conversion kit needs to be made as well. If your considering a ground up project, it will work fine. You'll have to consider different types of front ends as well. The stock trucks came with a straight axle on leaf spring front end. Most guys opt for the Mustang II IFS type front end. They have kits out there for the conversion. I recommend you study up on what needs to be done. Remember, the old trucks are over 50 years old and weren't designed to have motors with over 300 horsepower in them.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:14 PM
VR4 power

i know that the truck wont be able to handle that power stock and that i will have to box the frame and do alot of work to allow it to handle it and etc the truck is actually going to be a ground up project that my father and myself will be doing our selves but what kind of front ends would you recommend useing?
Old 01-03-2011, 04:26 PM

I would recommend Chevy.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1405
i know that the truck wont be able to handle that power stock and that i will have to box the frame and do alot of work to allow it to handle it and etc the truck is actually going to be a ground up project that my father and myself will be doing our selves but what kind of front ends would you recommend useing?
There several option and it depends on your taste. Some people like the straight axle which is simple and can be converted to disc brakes on the front. The ride isn't as good as with a Mustang II front. The Mustang front end is a popular choice amongst street rodders and is not too complicated of an install. It comes with the disc brake and suspension all in one package. Do you plan on running power steering? Then you'll have to decide on steering boxes (Toyota 4X4) is popular on older trucks. Some people go with the Volare front end as well. I kept the straight axle in my 56 F100 because I like the nostalgia look and feel. I used different leaf springs to lower the truck along with a drop axle straight axle, which drops the front end pretty low. The ride isn't as smooth or precise as the Mustang II, but works for me. Check out some of the Classic Truck magazines or Truck chat sites, and then make a decision. If I was doing a frame up? I'd probably go with the Mustang II and be done with it. That's only my opinion!
Old 01-03-2011, 06:07 PM
VR4 power

well the truck wont be a daily driver but it will be driven quite a bit i hate when someone has a truck or any vehicle at that and it just sits it drives me crazy
but i am going to for sure have power steering in it and the smoothness of the ride is important but yet again isn't the most important thing to me as long as it it doesn't jar me everywhere driving im fine with it... i want to go with the same look they gave the f100 in the expendables for the most part except the duel exhaust is going under the doors just in front of the rear wheels and Ive been strongly considering doing a flame kit too just for kicks

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...t:429,r:14,s:0
Old 01-03-2011, 07:14 PM

Last photo:

A Mustang II IFS kit is a solid choice (that's what I put into my Chevy truck), but a rebuilt Camaro or Nova clip makes for a nice ride too. Power steering really isn't a necessity as long as the front suspension geometry is good. Mine is actually TOO easy to turn, and I run fat tires up front. Boxing and x'ing the frame to add rigidity is wise too with the proposed power that you're considering. The stock frame would twist like a pretzel and wrack your cab easily. The rear suspension will need LOTS of attention to transform all that power into forward motion. With the sort of power you're talking about, I'd opt for a full cage and tie the entire chassis together, fore to aft, or, opt for a custom chassis ala Art Morrison or equal. Anyway, just some rambling thoughts. Hope this helps.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:58 PM
VR4 power

They way the roads are out where I live at power steering is a must and a smooth ride is just as important but it's nothing that I haven't grown up with out and can't handle with out but I'm going with a full cage no matter what truck I get because well plain and simple it's like you said it's just to much power and it will just trash it if I don't , and the suspension is the one thing that has crossed my mind quite a bit and a custom chassie like you said is more then likely what I'm going to end up doing

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.