Need some advice from Dan - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2014, 06:43 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Need some advice from Dan

.....or anyone else with knowledge on this.

Redoing the interior of my 35 Ford PU and want to keep the same design but going from fabric to vinyl with about the same colors. The only sewing will be for the seat bottom and back and the only pleating will be maybe 8-10 on both the passenger and driver side.

The wife has plenty of sewing experience and said she would take care of it for me. Looking at commercial machines on ebay but the wife wants a commercial grade machine that also has a zig-zag stitch. Do they make such a machine? More importantly, do they make a machine that will do the job, has zig-zag and is in the $400 range?

Okay, okay, I'm really not that much of a cheapskate, but if I can have it sewn by an upholsterer for about that much, it doesn't make a lot of sense to buy a more expensive machine.

Keeping that price in mind, and if it's at all possible, is there a machine you would recommend? I really don't see myself going into business and production, just this and maybe a few other projects.

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2014, 09:03 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

There are industrial machines made for sewing clothing that would also have zig-zag, but a standard industrial machine would not have zig zag and if it did , it would cost a lot more than $400. If you buy an industrial machine, it will cost you around $600 for anything decent, including the motor and the table. The good news here is that you can re-sell the machine for at least what you pay for it.

If you sew the pleats on 1/4" sew foam, a regular home machine will do the sewing you want to do, but it would need to have the biggest needle it can handle and use at least size 69 thread.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:59 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for answering Dan. I would imagine you'd get kind of tired answering these questions over and over. Taking the seats to a neighbor lady who does upholstery work to get an idea of what it would cost this weekend. I have all the vinyl already purchased, so mainly labor and sew foam.

Yeah, most of the machines I've seen are in the $5-600 range w/o zz.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:02 AM

Last photo:

Just an update: Took the seat over to the neighbor lady who does upholstery. She said she didn't do auto upholstery anymore but if I wasn't in a hurry she would. Asked her if the end of March wasn't too much of a hurry. $300 for both the bottom and the back, with the pleating and welting. No brainer to me - told her I'd be more than happy for her to do it.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:17 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirwolfPJ View Post
.....or anyone else with knowledge on this.

Redoing the interior of my 35 Ford PU and want to keep the same design but going from fabric to vinyl with about the same colors. The only sewing will be for the seat bottom and back and the only pleating will be maybe 8-10 on both the passenger and driver side.

The wife has plenty of sewing experience and said she would take care of it for me. Looking at commercial machines on ebay but the wife wants a commercial grade machine that also has a zig-zag stitch. Do they make such a machine? More importantly, do they make a machine that will do the job, has zig-zag and is in the $400 range?

Okay, okay, I'm really not that much of a cheapskate, but if I can have it sewn by an upholsterer for about that much, it doesn't make a lot of sense to buy a more expensive machine.

Keeping that price in mind, and if it's at all possible, is there a machine you would recommend? I really don't see myself going into business and production, just this and maybe a few other projects.

Thanks
You may have saved $300 but i bet the wife wanted it for other projects. Happy wife Happy life!!
Old 01-27-2014, 09:35 AM

Last photo:

LOL Actually the wife was with me and said she'd pay for it. I think she was hesitant about keeping the pleat seams straight. But, being winter and all, the money I would normally spend on gas, events, etc., I put away for this project.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:25 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Beats paying twice that much or more for a sewing machine. And a lot less work for the wife.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:31 PM

Last photo:

You might get a kick out of this. Friend of the wife calls me up and wants me to stain, finish, and install oak window trim. He wanted to help to keep the cost down. Anyway we're staining the trim this morning and I'm telling him about my interior project and how I dropped the seats at the upholsterer. Said he had a sewing machine in his basement his neighbor gave him. She had used it for upholstering. Said I could have it if I wanted it. Got done staining the wood and went downstairs and there under a tarp is a Consew 226 with motor, table, extra feet, bobbins, manual, etc., in mint condition. Told him if he wanted to trade the machine for my labor, he could keep his money in his pocket and we'd call it even. Deal! (Still going to have the neighbor upholstery lady do my seats.....but I've got something to learn on.)
Old 02-01-2014, 02:03 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

You made yourself a really good deal. I do 95% of my sewing on a Consew 226, and it's probably 50 to 60 years old. I have a newer one, but the 226 just keeps on working perfectly.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:30 PM

Last photo:

Just noticed you are from Lake Tomahawk Dan. Had a couple of good friends from Minocqua when I lived in Duluth, though I know one has since passed on.. Stay warm up there and thank you for all you give to the forum.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.