Need some advice on Grant steering wheel on 96 s10 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2010, 04:24 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Need some advice on Grant steering wheel on 96 s10

Hello guys well I have a 96 chevy s10 and I recently got a grant challenger series type steering wheel. Ok I know many will ask and say my truck has an airbag but when I got the truck it already had a v8 motor in it and no emissions stuff and the airbag was non working anyways so no big deal there.

I got the grant install kit for a chevy s10 that says up to 94 but it works on my tuck just fine. I just need to shave some material off of my plastic on the steering column to clear my black cover but the issues I am having is the steering wheel is not away from the dashboard far enough to clear my turn signal switch enough to where I can pull it back for my bright lights. Signal switch sits about one inch from the steering wheel for clearance wise. It does not touch the steering wheel.

I only need about one more inch but grant does not make any spacer's for that type of steering wheel just there signature 5 bolt series type. I just need my steering wheel to come towards me another inch.Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do? thanks
Eric

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2010, 07:18 PM

Last photo:

Well I guess no one can help me with any advice but anyhow I had to take my Grant steering wheel off cause there was not enough clearance. I went to a junk yard and got a regular non airbag type steering wheel from a GM truck and it fit like a charm. I just had to do a little extra clearance on my steering column cover and all is good now. thanks to all who read.
Cheers
Eric
Old 05-15-2010, 09:42 PM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

I did the exact same thing you did with the Grant wheel and kit, but I guess my wheel was deep enough, as I had none of the clearance issues you did...
Old 05-16-2010, 05:05 PM

Last photo:

Yeah from what I have read the only Grant steering wheels that will fit are the signature type ones that is the 5 bolt type and they have a two inch spacer which would have done me wonders. All the other ones have just a 1 inch spacer in there kits. That would not work for me as when I turn my wheel my fingers hit the turn signal lever.
Eric
Old 05-17-2010, 05:03 PM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last photo:

Mine's the old 3-bolt style and clears OK. IIRC, the wheel is 14" by 3 1/2" deep...

Russ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P0000797.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	45709  
Old 05-17-2010, 06:09 PM

Last photo:

Well my steering wheel does clear with no issues of hitting anything its just my knuckles will hit the turn signal if I grip my steering wheel when I turn it. Do you have any problems of any area of your hand hitting the turn signal lever. Also I can not pull my turn signal back far enough to use my brights as well. Maybe I got the wrong steering wheel. I don't know the depth of mine right off the bat. I will have to check. Thanks for the picture. Also I could not get the adapter piece to hook up right and have my steering wheel straight and the hole for my horn pice to all line up right. When lining up the adapter piece with the hole for the horn piece when you go to bolt on the steering wheel it was not straight. Man that looks nice in your truck. How did you get yours to work. Please let me know that might be my ticket.
Eric
Old 05-17-2010, 06:18 PM

Last photo:

Well I just measured a few things. Not counting my adapter piece. My grant steering wheel from the back of it to the top of it is only about 2 and a half inches or a little less. And I only have about 3/4 of an inch clearance between my steering wheel and my turn signal right behind it. If your steering wheel clears much more then that and your able to turn your brights on and off and your steering wheel clears just like the original then I need to get me one. I can use the install kit I already have. Please let me know. You might have mad my day. Thanks again for helping me out.
Eric
Old 05-18-2010, 04:17 PM

Last photo:

Well s10xgn I went to autozone today and picked up the same steering wheel you got and I must thank you a million. It clears my signal switch and leaves me a enough room to turn it around without my knuckles hitting it. But I do have one thing. Even though I grinded off the lip of the steering column cover my black beauty ring still rubs it and makes it kind of stiff to turn. How much did you have to clear off to get it to turn easy? Hopefully you will respond but if not no biggy I will just have to mess with it. I againt thank you.
Eric
Old 05-19-2010, 06:29 PM

Last photo:

Well guys I took my steering wheel off again and had to remove my airbag cylinder and shave a little more off my steering column cover now everything is all good.
Thanks again
Eric
Old 05-21-2010, 06:39 PM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last photo:

Sorry for the delay, glad you figured it out. I did nothing but bolt it on after removing all the airbag stuff...

Russ
Old 05-22-2010, 04:15 PM

Last photo:

yeah I had two different steering wheels on and off almost ten times in the last week trying to get things working. It turns out besides having to grind the lip off of my steering column cover I had to remove the air bag cylinder that was behind the steering wheel. It was causing my black beauty ring to grab and rub to where my steering wheel was turning hard.

I finally took of my cover one last time and filed the heck out of it then filed it down to look smooth and decent and all worked well. If it was not for you posting here I would still have a steering wheel clearance issue with my turn signal. That steering wheel is very nice and works and looks like an old muscle car style. Thanks again friend much is appreciated and I do thank you for your time in posting the picture and helping a fellow s10 man out. Take care
Eric

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.